new dash for my 990 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
t-shirt
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 135777
Question new dash for my 990

working on dash decals, but I need to no if there was a certain color of dash plate mine is a 78 990 farm king. I was thinking of cutting a new one out of stainless steel. the original color of tractor was red or just paint old
t-shirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
cityboy2977
ordinary average guy

MTF Member # 35943
Default Re: new dash for my 990

do a search. myself and 13 other members ordered new dash decals from clickitandstickit.com
Old 04-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
genefw
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 64886

The dash panel on my 960 (which is the same panel used on the 990) was unpainted under what remained of the decal. It looked like stainless, although there was a coat of rust on it. I sanded it down and painted it to match the tractor and then applied just the lettering part of a decal that was made locally.
genefw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
t-shirt
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 135777
Thumbs up Re: new dash for my 990

thanks for the help an info on decals i'll let you no what I come up with, I would like to get my tractor ready for the steam an power show in august just west of SYCAMORE IL it's a big show but not a lot of LG tractors
t-shirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
VTXRider
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 78940

Love to see your dash restore.
3 Late Model MTD 990s - (2 1980 Farm Kings and 1981 Wizard), 1978 Farm King, 1973 Farm King for parts. Craftsman DTY4000. Bush Hog D4-7 with FEL (Daughter's). Restored Sears FEL not mounted yet. 2004 Honda VTX1300.
KG8NS
Walker, Michigan
VTXRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
genefw
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 64886

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXRider View Post
Love to see your dash restore.
Unsure if you are talking to me or t-shirt. Here is my restore if you were talking to me, if not then I am sorry for stepping on your thread t-shirt. The picture on the bottom is the panel cleaned up with no decal. The decal was two piece, a color only section and then the letters that were to be applied over the color. I wasn't happy with the shade of the color section, so I painted the dash panel instead. I also removed a lot of the words from the decal to unclutter the dash, because it looked too busy to me. I thought the rabbit and turtle with the bars was good without saying throttle. Ammeter is already on the gauge, didn't need it under the gauge too. Decided I didn't need the ignition to say ignition. Off, run and start were plenty. Also removed 960 MTD from the upper left corner above the amp meter, it looked too crowded there. The light switch and the choke look enough alike that I decided to leave the words on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0250.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	626.7 KB
ID:	757114   Click image for larger version

Name:	MTD dash with Ford transition.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	611.6 KB
ID:	757122  
Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
VTXRider
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 78940

Thanks for posting your pics genefw, a nice clean cockpit. The bulges on the dash tower and rounded hood got me curious as to what you did to your 960. Looking all the way back to your 2011 post here. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showth...t=#post1853791
A superb restore and kit mod. Where would one find such a kit? The 5 bolt rear wheel hubs are very cool.
3 Late Model MTD 990s - (2 1980 Farm Kings and 1981 Wizard), 1978 Farm King, 1973 Farm King for parts. Craftsman DTY4000. Bush Hog D4-7 with FEL (Daughter's). Restored Sears FEL not mounted yet. 2004 Honda VTX1300.
KG8NS
Walker, Michigan
Old 04-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
genefw
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 64886

The kit is from Awesome Henry, and the website is awesomehenry.com. They make kits to put v8s in the n series ford tractors and also this kit. I think they now sell some kind of a dash adaptor. I had to come up with my own. It is a wood form glued and screwed to the 960 dash and covered with fiberglass. They also now sell what I call the top hats for the rear wheels. I made my own out of old moon hubcaps. At the time I bought my kit it came with a primered hood and fenders,(no mounting hardware, you have to create your own) the headlight kit in black, the bumper in primer and radiator cap. Also comes with the decals which includes the grill decal. No templates or suggestions or pre drilled holes for the radiator cap and head lights and no templates for placing any of the decals. I just studied 8N pictures and went from that. This is what it looks like since last fall when I found a mower deck for it and rebuilt it to match. I also found an original MTD seat at that time and had it recovered in Ford colors. I have mowed with it once before the rebuild and once after. I have a newer tractor with foot controlled hydro and a much smaller turning radius for that job. Short version of the story is: no money to be made doing crazy crap like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0279.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	651.1 KB
ID:	757786   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0241.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	664.7 KB
ID:	757793  
Old 04-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #9
VTXRider
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 78940

Genefw, your 960 is a sight to behold. A beautiful machine that anyone would be proud to show off. The boys in the Ford forum might even be a little envious.

T-shirt, I think we would all like to have this to mount our dash plate to.
KG8NS
Walker, Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
genefw
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 64886

Thanks for the compliment. It has been an evolving project for close to 4 years now, never seems to be quite done. Plus I do get it out and drive it and use it for aerating and dethatching and a few other chores, so there is wear and tear upkeep on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.