Stuck Oil Dipstick - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Car Talk Auto shop and car discussions

Old 03-19-2011, 03:36 PM   post #1 of 5
skagmobile
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 8639
Default Stuck Oil Dipstick

Hello, haven't been on here in quite some time. I have a v-8
Chrysler and I'm having a problem. The oil dipstick became extremely hard to pull out and in so doing the plastic top broke off even with the tube it goes into. The fact that it was plastic I'm sure had a great deal to do with it breaking. I suppose Chrysler saved obout two cents or so making it out of plastic instead of metal. Anyway has anyone else had this problem and what did you do about it? I was told that the new Ford Focus also has a plastic dipstick end and probably others. I tried silicone spray, chasis grease, and anti-sieze with no success. Of course that is with a new dipstick. It appears to stick near the tube opening which is where the plastic is. I'm 70 years old and have never had a problem like this before but then I've always had vehicles with metal dipsticks too.
Thanks,
Skag
skagmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 04:07 PM   post #2 of 5
WNYTractorTinkerer
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 26264
Garage
Icon2 Re: Stuck Oil Dipstick

Who WAS the Einstien that came up with that design?!?!?!

I haven't run into this issue yet but I did some searching on the subject. Looks like the suggestion is to drill a small hole in the plastic about 1/8" deep and thread in a drywall screw by hand. You should then be able to grip it with some pliers and pull the broken dip stick out. Then replace the plastic part with one of these http://www.custombilletstore.com/Bil...ck_p/30012.htm Good luck with the fix.

Or if that fails, try this- Remove the dipstick tube from the block and attack the thing from the other side.. All I got pal..

Got some pictures of this thing? Have your grandkid post a few in here or here's the instructions: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=77144

Can You see the Real me?
WNYTractorTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 05:43 PM   post #3 of 5
skagmobile
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 8639
Default Re: Stuck Oil Dipstick

Sorry I guess I didn't post my question correctly. I've gotten the old dipstick out by removing the tube from where its bolted to the engine and then simply pushing the dipstick out from the bottom of the tube. My question is how to keep the new dipstick from sticking to the top of the dipstick tube or the same thing will happen to this new one. Once again I've tried silicone, chassis grease, and anti-sieze. It still sticks to the top of the tube especially when the engine is hot. Hopefully someone else has experienced this same thing and may have a solution. And no the old or the new dipstick was not bent twisted or damaged, its that **** plastic end thats causing the problem. I suppose I could file or grind the plastic down to where it won't bind up, in fact that may be the answer.
Thanks
Skag
skagmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 07:58 PM   post #4 of 5
WNYTractorTinkerer
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 26264
Garage
Icon2 Re: Stuck Oil Dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by skagmobile View Post
Sorry I guess I didn't post my question correctly. I've gotten the old dipstick out by removing the tube from where its bolted to the engine and then simply pushing the dipstick out from the bottom of the tube. My question is how to keep the new dipstick from sticking to the top of the dipstick tube or the same thing will happen to this new one. Once again I've tried silicone, chassis grease, and anti-sieze. It still sticks to the top of the tube especially when the engine is hot. Hopefully someone else has experienced this same thing and may have a solution. And no the old or the new dipstick was not bent twisted or damaged, its that **** plastic end thats causing the problem. I suppose I could file or grind the plastic down to where it won't bind up, in fact that may be the answer.
Thanks
Skag
What engine size and year have you got? Here's a few replacement (not plastic!) dipsticks that are available: http://www.thefind.com/cars/info-eng...ck-replacement

Can You see the Real me?
WNYTractorTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 08:02 PM   post #5 of 5
louofm1
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2079
Default Re: Stuck Oil Dipstick

check out this link...found it via google. maybe a metal replacement from summit racing?

http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/2...chrys-300.html

Went to summit and got this link. Maybe one of these will work ...it's a search on chyrsler motors

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...r&Ns=Price|Asc

Or, another good option is to go to www.ebay.com and search "chrysler dip stick" lots of choices there. just look for an all metal one

Last edited by louofm1; 03-19-2011 at 08:09 PM.
louofm1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.