Fuel Delivery problem L120 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 PM   post #1 of 9
road2damascus
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 56644
Default Fuel Delivery problem L120

Hello. I have a John Deere L120 Intek 22hp. It doesn't start. I have cleaned out the gas tank, blown out the lines, replaced the gas cap, filter, and pump. It does pump fuel to the intake/carb unit. It does not get past that. I have figured out how to get it started but don't know the connection between what I am doing with what it is doing. I do not have a manual so I do not know the name of the pieces I am about to talk about.

There is a linkage rod from the intake/carb unit going under to a metal arm with a spring on it. When I pull this arm up, the engine starts up. Everything is hooked up properly as far as I can see. Is there a switch to shut off fuel delivery connected to this arm? If everything is connected properly would it be a weak spring not pulling it far enough? Any help would be great. Especially with terminology so I can communicate better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	march 15, 2011 014.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	147985   Click image for larger version

Name:	march 15, 2011 011.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	147986   Click image for larger version

Name:	march 15, 2011 015.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	147987  
road2damascus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 03:57 AM   post #2 of 9
ryanpf
L120/G110 Hybridizer

MTF Member # 31574
Default Re: Fuel Delivery problem L120

The manual is here:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=23974

The page you're looking for is 114/115.

The arm that you're looking at in your pics is the governor lever. It is attached by a wire rod to the throttle plate lever arm and also to a spring which is pulled by the drum assy moved by the throttle cable. The engine speed is governed by the tension between the gov lever and the drum.

The more important adjustment is the choke assembly. It needs to be fully closed before a cold engine will start. My normal sequence is to run the throttle to 1/2, choke to full, and crank for 3-5 seconds. Unless it's been sitting for more than a month, it'll start. May take two or three tries if it's been idle for more than a month.

I'm assumming you can hear the carb solenoid click when you try to start it. It must be working, or no fuel will get sucked up the main emulsion tubes. If the ground is open or the supply wire parted, then it won't click when you turn the switch to a run position.

Did it run before, or are you working on a "new to you" machine?

HTH,

Paul
Old 03-16-2011, 10:22 AM   post #3 of 9
road2damascus
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 56644

Yes it started before with starting fluid but would not stay started because there was not any fuel delivery to the engine. Fuel stopped at the carb and did not go into the engine. When physically put my hand into the engine and pull the Governor lever it does allow fuel to pass into the engine and it starts immediately.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:31 PM   post #4 of 9
ryanpf
L120/G110 Hybridizer

MTF Member # 31574

Okay, here are two reference pictures of the choke linkage and the throttle linkage. The choke linkage picture is just for reference, while the throttle picture is for the discussion that follows.

Choke Linkage

Throttle Drum and Governor Link w/Throttle Rod

The throttle link, seen above to the right of center, connected to the governor lever (GL) and behind the round "drum", is what I believe you're talking about. It moves up to close the throttle butterfly and down to open it up. Normally, at shutdown, even though the orange throttle cable may be in the slow idle position, the rod is pulled almost all the way down. To test it, run the throttle lever to SLOW and then try to lift up on the rod. It should have ~3/4" upward movement available. If you now advance the orange lever to fast idle, the throttle rod will pull down all the way, and you will find increased resistance to moving the rod upward.

Normally, when the engine catches, it will quickly move upward and keep the RPMs at ~1700. As you push the throttle forward to max idle, the drum rotates CCW (in this view) and puts more tension on the spring (behind the drum, not visible here) connected to the GL. This pulls the GL down, opening the throttle plate and increasing engine RPM. This continues until the engine RPM causes the internal governor mechanism to press down on the GL and balance the tension from the drum spring. That should be about 3350 RPM +/-.

When engine load increases (engage deck, push on hydro pedal, pull a loaded cart) the slowing engine will allow the GL to move down, opening the throttle plate, and bringing the RPMs back into balance at ~3350 RPM.

As I understand your problem, it won't start with the choke full on and the throttle rod in its normal, almost full down position. If you pull up on the rod, it will start. Does it keep running after that, or does it shut down after you release the rod.

If it shuts down, I suspect either one of the tension springs is missing or stretched. There should be two. One long spring connected to the idle tang and one short length, long crooked spring connected between GL and tang on drum. You can see both springs on page 114 in the manual referenced above. It is the lower right picture of the three on the page.

Paul
Old 03-16-2011, 07:10 PM   post #5 of 9
road2damascus
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 56644

Thanks Paul. The site won't let me download the manual. Thanks for telling me there is suppose to be two springs. I think I only have one! The one in the picture. Where is the other one suppose to be hooked up to?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 PM   post #6 of 9
ryanpf
L120/G110 Hybridizer

MTF Member # 31574

I should have looked closer at your first picture. I can see both springs in the picture, but I can't tell if they are hooked up or not.

I'll try to PM you the manual pages and see if they get through, although it I seem to recall that attachments in MTF mail are verboten!

Paul
Old 03-17-2011, 01:48 PM   post #7 of 9
ryanpf
L120/G110 Hybridizer

MTF Member # 31574

Here's a view of the two springs and how they connect. The larger diameter one is in the slot on the governor lever (GL). The smaller one is connected to a tang on the bottom of the GL.

L120 Governor Mechanism

The bottom of the large spring is connected to a lever on the inside wheel of the rotating "drum", and the smaller spring is connected to a tang that drops down below the prominent metal mounting plate.

This is pretty much what you'll see in the manual and hopefully what you see on yours when it's assembled! Oh, I've removed the carb solenoid wiring for the picture. It runs right in front of the view. You can see the black receiving connector half on the bottom of the brass colored solenoid.

Paul
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM   post #8 of 9
road2damascus
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 56644

Better Late then never. I just rediscovered this site. Thanks for the help fellas. The JD L120 has run well all summer/fall. It was a governor adjustment. Unfortunately it is burning oil now. I may tear it down this winter and replace the rings.

MIKE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 09:47 AM   post #9 of 9
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Good to hear you got it resolved and sorry to hear of the burning oil issue developing. My 03 L120 is doing that too. Best wishes in the ring repair .
Jim_WV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.