Metric - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 03-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Buickguy
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 44478
Default Metric

I came off a hobby with Buicks. GM used both Metric and SAE in their builds and it created such problems.

I was happy to change to John Deere and just today came across a metric bolt putting my grill back into my 165. I couldn't understand why my 7/16ths, too large, then my 3/8ths, too small, wouldn't do it. Metric 10mm it was.

Has anyone else come across any other metric bolts/nuts in any John Deere tractors?
Buickguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82
Default Re: Metric

ALL OVER THE #^*&@N' PLACE! It's a little game JD plays, you know, like the game of "Try And Get The OEM Oil Filter Off Mere Mortal"!
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Buickguy
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 44478

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
ALL OVER THE #^*&@N' PLACE! It's a little game JD plays, you know, like the game of "Try And Get The OEM Oil Filter Off Mere Mortal"!
Funny...lol. Try to be more direct next time.

I'm not as experiened as others (but better lookin') and this is the first one I've come across. ****, wish you'd left me in my dream world.
Buickguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
Mike X485
The Gathering June 28-29

MTF Member # 47023
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buickguy View Post

I'm not as experiened as others (but better lookin') and this is the first one I've come across. ****, wish you'd left me in my dream world.
Buickguy, You are the second best lookin guy on MTF, the rest are tied for first. I think that JD uses all metric on newer models.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
WNYTractorTinkerer
7K and climbin'!!

MTF Member # 26264
Garage
Icon2 Re: Metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike X485 View Post
Buickguy, You are the second best lookin guy on MTF, the rest are tied for first. I think that JD uses all metric on newer models.
alot of metric sizes & SAE are close enough to interchange:

8mm = 5/16
11mm = 7/16
13mm = 1/2
14mm = 9/16
16mm ~ 5/8 (depending on the design..

those are the common smaller sizes.. happy tractorin!

Can You see the Real me?
WNYTractorTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post

I couldn't even get it off with a screw driver through it the first time I changed my Trans Oil on my X485
Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
White Model: GT2055

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
Herd of Deeres
Certified Master Tinkerer

MTF Member # 32443

The mix started sometime around the mid-80s with the changeover to the Kawasaki powered tractors. My 3 rice burners are mostly metric while the two 110s, and the 214 are 100% SAE. It was nice grabbing only one set of sockets and wrenches while I was building FrankenDeere.
1963 John Deere 110

Deerely DeParted:
1969 JD 110 H DeereZilla

On to Greener pastures:
1969.5 JD 110H FrankenDeere
Herd of Deeres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
Tomadvanced
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 52537

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTractorTinkerer View Post
alot of metric sizes & SAE are close enough to interchange:

8mm = 5/16
11mm = 7/16
13mm = 1/2
14mm = 9/16
16mm ~ 5/8 (depending on the design..

those are the common smaller sizes.. happy tractorin!
3/4 =19mm
13/16=21mm
Old 03-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
69project
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 40646

Buick Guy, you won't have to worry with your 400. I have yet to run across a metric bolt or nut on mine knock on wood. JD was probably like the OEM's car builders who started switching to metric in the mid-80's. My 86 Suburban was a mix, I seem to remember the engine was SAE but the body parts metric. Either way you looked at it, it was a pain.

I guess like anything else, you will need to stick to older iron or brand new stuff to escape the SAE/metric mix. I prefer SAE stuff but I am a traditionalist. Metric fits in with the rest of the world I guess.
69project is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
littletractorguy
The Mod from... Nowhere!

MTF Member # 36339
Garage

I'm in theory a "child of the metric system" (I was in Grade 5 when it was introduced here in Canada). So, I THINK that means I'm supposed to know both... I just don't know either... I always thought a "complete" socket set was that one which came in the big plastic bag, and you just grabbed sockets out of it until you found one that fit, sorta.... Imagine my surprise when I BOUGHT my first set three years ago (I had inherited all my previous sets) and I found that it had TWO sides in the case, one for SAE (whatever THAT means) and one for metric.
littletractorguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
jakenbake
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 34769

i have found that my 318 is mostly standard with a few metric, while my 345 is metric with a few standard bolts.

they must have switched over sometime between 1991 and 2001.
Brinly 48" Plug Aerator
Brinly 125 lb Broadcast Spreader
Craftsman 42" High Speed Sweeper

1988 JD 332
44 Loader
jakenbake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
Jere39
Have Dog - Will Travel

MTF Member # 47088

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletractorguy View Post
... one for SAE (whatever THAT means) and one for metric.
Maybe I took you quote too literally, but: Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).

So far I have found only metric on my x728, including hex head wrenches needed for many of the fluid drain plugs. That sent me to Lowe's first time because my metric multi-hex wrench in my bike bag had nothing approaching 10mm size
Jere39 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
Herd of Deeres
Certified Master Tinkerer

MTF Member # 32443

Quote:
I'm in theory a "child of the metric system" (I was in Grade 5 when it was introduced here in Canada). So, I THINK that means I'm supposed to know both... I just don't know either... I always thought a "complete" socket set was that one which came in the big plastic bag, and you just grabbed sockets out of it until you found one that fit, sorta.... Imagine my surprise when I BOUGHT my first set three years ago (I had inherited all my previous sets) and I found that it had TWO sides in the case, one for SAE (whatever THAT means) and one for metric.
Yes but you guys stuck with it. I was in (middle?) school when they started the big push to convert the US to metric. We all know how that went. What's interesting is that some of it stuck. At work we use a mix of both metric and standard units, one thing is in meters while something else is in yards. Makes the math fun As for SAE I had to look it up. I remember my father telling me it meant "Standard American Engineering." According to answers.com dear ol' Dad was wrong:

SAE is an acronym for the "Society of Automotive Engineers" and when used in conjunction with tool grade or measurement (not oil), is a standardized unit of non-metric measurement. Simply put, in measurements it means "Non-Metric".

The name "SAE" used to grade motor oil has a totally different meaning, although instituted by the same society.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...#ixzz1GPASxV8z
1963 John Deere 110

Deerely DeParted:
1969 JD 110 H DeereZilla

On to Greener pastures:
1969.5 JD 110H FrankenDeere
Herd of Deeres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
Engine_Tech
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 46741

JD changed all their engineering software over to metric sometime in the late 1980's. There was a bulletin around that time discussing how some 318 wheel spindles or bearings (I can't remember) are SAE and later are Metric. Anyone that has replaced front end parts would know.

So, since JD designs in Metric, everything will be in metric. The thing is that JD uses a lot of 13mm-head bolts, which jive with a 1/2" wrench. Same blade bolts are 16mm-head but a 5/8 will work on. So...JD is 100% Metric, but you may find some hardware where a SAE wrench will work.
Engine_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
Reverend Blair
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28811

Quote:

Ah, you nailed that one perfectly.

Better yet is the carpentry industry though. Everybody still uses feet and inches because that's what the materials come in. One of the first things you learn is to buy a tape measure with no metric on it so you can measure inches accurately on both sides of the tape. Your brain begins to work in 1/8" increments. Then you find yourself working on a government contract and everything is metric.
Reverend Blair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.