B&S 18hp I/C troubles - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 03-08-2011, 06:05 PM   post #1 of 10
Spamburger17
1994 MTD 848 18.5 I/C

MTF Member # 48431
Garage
Default B&S 18hp I/C troubles

I have 1994 MTD Pro 18/46 GT, model 848. I had started my tractor to move it and was cold out, so i still had the choke on while moving and flooded the motor, which was expected as it warmed up. I let it sit for awhile and then it would no longer turn over well or start. It acts like one cylinder isnt firing. I changed the plugs, and also grounded them and cranked, to check for spark and i had a good light blue spark from both new plugs. Also, with no spark plugs installed = no compression, i cranked the engine to make sure no crank or rod damage was the cause, and it spun right over like a fresh/new engine. I reinstalled the plugs, and again acting like it wouldnt fire, slowing down during compression stroke from one cylinder. I can pull the one plug and it will crank fine too, so it is most likely the one cylinder. Like i said, it has spark, but maybe not enough? I also pulled the cylinder head to make sure no valves were stuck and cylinder wasnt damaged. Before this it ran like new. Any ideas or help appreciated. If i were to try a compression test, what would the spec psi range be? heres a link to a video of it trying to crank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXwY3NdkDCU
Spamburger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 PM   post #2 of 10
themidniteryder
Jack of All Trades

MTF Member # 27867
Default Re: B&S 18hp I/C troubles

Put a volt meter on the battery and try cranking over, observing the voltage drop. If it falls way down, like to 5-7 volts while cranking, fully charge or swap in a known god battery. Sounds like it just doesn't have the juice to turn it over. At least its a cheap starting point. Let us know what happens.

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge (CBJ)
Pitmaster @ All About the Q'

Facebook.com/itsallabouttheq
themidniteryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 PM   post #3 of 10
38racing
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 25899

If it's OHV might be time to check valve clearance
38racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 05:36 PM   post #4 of 10
Spamburger17
1994 MTD 848 18.5 I/C

MTF Member # 48431
Garage

I think ill try hooking up another battery (multi meter took a dump) and see what happens. ive done a scan of most of the mechanical and it seems to be sparking the plugs. It cranked fine a few weeks ago, but maybe its time came. Ill pull both heads to make sure all the valves are working too. Its not overhead valve, but i could check valve clearance too. It seems more like too much compression or not enough cranking power.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:19 PM   post #5 of 10
Tater305
Banned

MTF Member # 39591

sounds like a battery or starter problem not a motor related problem id start there first
Tater305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 08:03 PM   post #6 of 10
themidniteryder
Jack of All Trades

MTF Member # 27867

If you have never had them off, now would be a good time to pull the heads and decarbon. I dont think there is enough build up to raise your compression a lot. If it had that much carbon you might also be hearing what sounds like the piston slapping the head. But defiantly try another battery first, and even another starter if you have a spare laying around.

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge (CBJ)
Pitmaster @ All About the Q'

Facebook.com/itsallabouttheq
themidniteryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 06:26 PM   post #7 of 10
Spamburger17
1994 MTD 848 18.5 I/C

MTF Member # 48431
Garage

I tried jumping the battery so most likely the starter is going bad. I ordered one, hopefully all ill need.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:40 AM   post #8 of 10
rustyrideon68
CalifornianGravelynator

MTF Member # 17701
Garage

Hope you get it going again.
Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
My name is Mike and I own these tractors, a...
68 Gravely 430 (40" Comm mower)
80 Gravely 8163-T (L.S.D trans)
(Mighty Mac Shredder)
67 Gravely 424 (40" kidney mower)
66 Gravely C8, with Governor and soon elec start. Rotary Plow, Rotary cultivator, and 30" deck x2
?? Gravely Brass Tag L, G.R.Hs with rotary plow
?? Gravely 5660 30" finish mower
72 Gravely 814, cig lighter parts machine(NFS)
72 Simplicity Landlord 3410 H with MM grading blade.
79 (MTD) Dayton 11hp but looks great, only has a few scratches and no rust, "Survivor" ...and a 72 (Gilson)Wards 16 hydro w 48" MM mower
78 John Deere 214, 38" mower + brass tag snow plow ( I dont really need the snow plow). project. will get Onan 18hp. when its repaired
79 Sears LT 10/36 MMM.... also have a 70s HAHN LTD 500 RER, Electric conversion, when I have $
78 Sears GT/19.9 Six Spd with a Loader, dually, WW, MMM, Waren elec 3pt, dump tote box, disc harrow, Front mount shredder, rear scraper blade, Onan N52M-GA. low hours machine
81 Sears GTV Custom. Will get Wisconsin 18.5 hp THD. And may have a Turbo. Or a 27hp Kohler but it needs a bore and .10 oversize pistons "Oh Sweet! ....Nothing runs like a deere running from my GRAVELYS.................... THE
87 Pontiac Fiero GT V6 3spd..... McCulloch 10 (MAC 10) and like 20 other vintage saws. and 20 so vintage weed eaters, 2 vintage backpack blowers, 1953 Briggs and Stratton 6S , a B&S 1950 5S too with Firestone plug. GO BUCKS! OHIO State U
rustyrideon68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 08:02 PM   post #9 of 10
Spamburger17
1994 MTD 848 18.5 I/C

MTF Member # 48431
Garage

Well, the starter fixed cranking issues, better than ever. BUT, a rod started knocking while i was driving it around, YAY. I thought about rebuilding it, itd be an interesting experience, but it looks like itll be about 200 or more in parts with gasket kit, rods, pins and rings, if the crank is still good. Ive already got alot in it rebuilding the mower deck and other things so i figure may as well do this too. I doubt i can get a new or rebuilt engine that cheap. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 AM   post #10 of 10
dj722000
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 52093

Before tearing into the engine, you said you had it running with the choke on and it died. It wouldnt restart.

Try removing the spark plugs and put a teaspoon of oil down the cylinder, Turn by hand to move oil all around cylinder, replace spark plugs and let sit for a day or so. Try and restart and see if the knock went away. It maybe piston slap from running while choked and no oil on the cylinder wall. Just an idea.
dj722000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.