How Long to Cut 1 acre? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 01-26-2006, 12:33 PM   post #1 of 16
Splicer

MTF Member # 1134
Default How Long to Cut 1 acre?

Well seeing as the snow isn't likely and I see grass and I have a nice 50 inch triple blade deck , might as well talk mowing .

My 1 acre lot is rectangular, being longer than it is wide. What I would do on the smaller RER w/30" cut is start at the outside and circle the property working my way in towards the center. Never wasted time mowing in back and forth rows by turning around. Took about 2 hours. I am hoping w/Becky I can shave at least 45 minutes off the time .

Gets boring after awhile...
Splicer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2006, 12:39 PM   post #2 of 16
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage
Default Re: How Long to Cut 1 acre?

Doing the same way you are cutting now, I think you will cut your time in about half

But hang in there on the snow wish Splice, I've got grass sprouting up too in places, but seen some of our biggest snows in Feb. , you may get to use that new blade yet
Jim_WV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 12:41 PM   post #3 of 16
thesmartfarmer
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 311

I can cut our 3 acres in about 1 hour and fifteen minutes with our 52" zero turn
thesmartfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 12:42 PM   post #4 of 16
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51

My mom's lawn is flat with a dozen trees and mostly wide open. I can cut the 1 1/3 acres with a Deere 316 using a 46" deck in just under one hour under ideal conditions. And that is mowing for a uniform striped pattern, but not including trimming with a hand mower and weed wacker (an additional 20 minutes). So unless you have a lot of intricate stuff to manuver around, I would think you could get an acre done in under an hour easily.

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 12:53 PM   post #5 of 16
CatDaddy
m-ODD-r8r

MTF Member # 15

I wish I could do an acre in an hour. W/ my 48" cut Husq 2148, our open, flat, relatively smooth, 2 acre building lot takes about 3 hours. It only has a couple of trees to dodge and the drainage ditch out front. There's no house or anything on the lot.

Now I don't mow WAO in high gear except for a couple of sections where the ground cover is pretty compact.

-=A=-

Whoops, I forgot I recently planted new fruit trees & berry bushes, so it'll probably take longer from now on out.

iumop-эp!sdn эJa nολ s!ч+ paэJ ua} nολ !
CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 01:36 PM   post #6 of 16
sonny
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 707

cat daddy!! dont worry bout them bushes!!! they grow back!!!! (just kiddin')!! It takes me tons of time to mow cause I bag the stuff for compost, but tilled up most of the grass for garden space,OOOOOPPPSS!!! no more compost fixin's!!! Could mow neighbors roadside!!! thanks; sonny

sonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 01:39 PM   post #7 of 16
beaker1024
MTF Member

MTF Member # 1279

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddy
I wish I could do an acre in an hour. W/ my 48" cut Husq 2148, our open, flat, relatively smooth, 2 acre building lot takes about 3 hours. It only has a couple of trees to dodge and the drainage ditch out front. There's no house or anything on the lot.

Now I don't mow WAO in high gear except for a couple of sections where the ground cover is pretty compact.

-=A=-

Whoops, I forgot I recently planted new fruit trees & berry bushes, so it'll probably take longer from now on out.

CatDaddy - Why so long with the Husqvarna 48" deck? I have the same deck on my YTH1848XP and mow my 0.75 acres in 40 minutes, a solid 30-40 min less than with my old (dead) 42" Murray. [Hus = Hydro; Murray= Manual trans]

I have also been extremely pleased with the quality of the cut (again relative to my old machine).
beaker1024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 03:47 PM   post #8 of 16
Dutch-NJ
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1221

It usually takes me about 15-20 min. to mow a clear acre with a 48" deck.

I start at one end, then make a pass down the center, and move over one swath with each next pass. That eliminates time wasting tight turns.

I also mow in a direction so the discharged grass gets mowed over and over again.

For land with trees, it takes about 20-30 mins. I start at the first tree and mow in figure eights around other trees.
Dutch-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 03:52 PM   post #9 of 16
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-NJ
It usually takes me about 15-20 min. to mow a clear acre with a 48" deck.

I start at one end, then make a pass down the center, and move over one swath with each next pass. That eliminates time wasting tight turns.

I also mow in a direction so the discharged grass gets mowed over and over again.

For land with trees, it takes about 20-30 mins. I start at the first tree and mow in figure eights around other trees.
Geezy Cow Dutch ! you definitley ain't "lettin no grass grow under your feet" as the saying goes, that is fast !
Jim_WV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 03:57 PM   post #10 of 16
Dutch-NJ
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer
Well seeing as the snow isn't likely and I see grass and I have a nice 50 inch triple blade deck , might as well talk mowing .
Snow... Not likely?

Yesterday, the guy on the local radio show commented, "What a beautiful SPRING day." I was driving but screamed at the radio, "Pinky. Are you NUTS? It's January. Winter just started."
Dutch-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 04:12 PM   post #11 of 16
Michael
Retired Mod

MTF Member # 21

When I mow my 2 acres it takes me about 2 and half hours to mow with my L120, No trees or anything to get in the way, but a rough yard in several places that forces me to slow down, I am working on getting everything smooth again but after I get one area smooth, here come the moles to undo it. I have sort of resigned myself to just leaving it rough as for some reason they don't mess with it if I leave it rough.....
Old 01-26-2006, 07:04 PM   post #12 of 16
wally2q
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45

2.75 acres of lawn, with maybe 25-30 trees, stone fence & tree line, ditch, driveway and landscaping around the house. 1.5 to 1.75 hours on an L120, and 2 hours incl. trimming. My land is pretty smooth, but I do have a hill. I pretty well go .75 to .8 of max speed, except around trees.

.. and that is with striping - every other swath is in opposite direction.

I side discharge - not mulch - mulching would force me to slow down (give it time to chew it up, and force it into the grass).... and I cut every 5 to 6 days - so the growth is not excessive...
wally2q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 08:27 PM   post #13 of 16
Ohioplowboy
Got BOOST?

MTF Member # 464

Too **** long, if you ask me.... I still think anything mowed should be baled for hay, or else I should plant corn or beans in it. No one else around here agrees
Old 01-26-2006, 08:47 PM   post #14 of 16
jdkubotamurray
Guru on the Mountain

MTF Member # 147

I always mow full out and my Husky Vanguard 2148 cuts more than an acre per hour I think
jdkubotamurray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2006, 05:12 PM   post #15 of 16
wolfe1
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 415

I mow about 2 acres anywhere from 40 minutes to almost 2 hours- depends how fast I go and how good I want it to look- 54c deck
wolfe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.