Ariens YT12 inherited... - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 02-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
d2jp
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 53095
Default Ariens YT12 inherited...

As the title suggests...I've acquired an Ariens yt12 w/ bagger from a relative. I can't find any receipts for it..but appears to be from late 80's to early/mid 90's. Had been sitting for years in a shed, just took a quick glance yesterday. It's a hydro model with Briggs I/C 12 hp. Didn't have any luck disengaging the hydro and pushing it - it just didn't want to move.

Luckily it was stored w/o any gas in the tank and appears to have been run dry and the oil changed before being stored. Hydro oil looks good tool. I'm going back tomorrow w/ a new battery, fresh gas, oil, starting fluid, etc. to see if I can get it running.

It looks like new, in very good condition cosmetically. Hopefully it will check out OK mechanically as well.

Anyone have one of these mowers?

Thanks,

Jack
d2jp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
tiretrx
Do Nothin' Admin

MTF Member # 13571
Default Re: Ariens YT12 inherited...

Ummm Jack, when you go, don't forget your camera...........
Old 02-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
ariensman2
Electrical Engineer

MTF Member # 29339
Garage

I have 3 YT tractors. One I bought new back in 1986 with snow blower and has been working hard for me all those years. I aquired another a few years later just so I wouldn't have to change back and forth from mower to snow blower. Then I found another I got for parts but ended up fixing it up to run even though I didn't need it. They are great machines and too bad Ariens stopped making them. Now Ariens has Husqvarna make 2 models for them and labeled Ariens. They just aren't the same quality and ruggedness although still a good value for just mowing.

06 Massy Ferguson GC2300, FEL, MMM
69 Economy Power King w/sickle mower, tiller, snow plow, 60 in. mower deck
89 Ariens HT16 Hydro
81 Ariens YT1138 w/Sno-Blower
86 Ariens YT1032
79 Ariens YT1132(not running)
56 David Bradley Big5, 2 wheel tractor
58 Super SS (Supportive Sweetie)
ECHO Power Tools
ariensman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
d2jp
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 53095

Update:
Gas, new plug and air cleaner, new battery. Wouldn't start, but good spark. Upon closer inspection, the butterfly wasn't closing for choke, appears the cable had slipped. Got it choked, puffs of blue smoke for a second and she fired right up....drove it up to my trailer and stopped to lower the ramp. Then, she wouldn't fire, sounded like the starter. The plastic starter gear had stripped Hydro wouldn't disengage either, so I placed the rear end on a moving dolly and winched it on the trailer. Hope to get the starter gear replaced later today and get some pictures up soon!
Old 02-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Mickeymotormount
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 20928

Glad to hear it. Hope you get your starter gear woes straightened out and I look forward to your pics.

Ford and Gravely Nut

Mickeymotormount is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
d2jp
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 53095
Wink Re: Ariens YT12 inherited...

$5 plastic starter gear, 10 minutes later everything works!

This Ariens is a nice running mower, 12hp Briggs I/C runs strong, looks like a 32" cutting deck (single mulching blade)...and as much as I'd like to keep it, I'm trying to raise money to send my daughter to London w/ her school band- so I'm going to sell it. I just sold my 1986 John Deere 165 Hydro which has been in my family since new But as mentioned I'm putting the money to good use and this YT12 Hydro will make someone a really nice mower - it's very well built, probably have to spend $2500~$3500 to get this quality today.

I purchased a used Cub Cadet i1050 zero-turn tractor this fall as my 'new' mower...but it's not the quality in a lot of was as my old Deere and this Ariens

Thanks for the help and for taking a look!

Pictures:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.