Snowblower attachment makes noise when drive pulley is turned - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
JStep
Me want bigger tractor

MTF Member # 35082
Default Snowblower attachment makes noise when drive pulley is turned

I found a 42" MTD snowblower on Craigslist and went to look at it last night. It doesn't look like it's been used much at all, but it does have surface rust on the auger shaft (43), the worm shaft (47), and near the coupling (65). Other than that, it looks really good. My only concern is that when I move the belt (59) to turn the drive pulley (60), it makes a low howling noise like it needs some lubrication bad. Will this be fine with some grease, or is it possible that the worm gears or bearings might be screwed up? I wouldn't say the pulley is overly hard to turn with the belt. I don't think the tractor would have a problem running the attachment, I just don't want to have to replace parts soon after I buy it.

Thanks!
JStep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
engine2quarters
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 24003
Default Re: Snowblower attachment makes noise when drive pulley is turned

Is it a single or a 2-stage blower?
I could see a 2-stage blower, one with the impellar, making abit more noise since it has to change belt rotation into 2 'direction' rotation, one direction for the auger, one for direction for the impeller.
If it's a single stage blower, it might just need a good geasing.
But then again, it could need bearings. I'm not familiar with the blower you're looking at, so I'm only guessing.
engine2quarters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
JStep
Me want bigger tractor

MTF Member # 35082

The blower is a 2-stage, and I did check the bearings for the auger and they seemed good. There was no significant up and down or side to side play in the auger. I spoke to someone in tech support at MTD today, and they suggested to check for grease in the worm gear housing, and see if I can remove the top plate of the right angle drive to get a look in there. I also picked up some white lithium grease to spray near the drive pulley, as it seemed like the sound might be coming from that area. If there's grease in the right places and the lithium grease helps, I think I'll feel comfortable going ahead with the deal.

I have to say, I was extremely impressed with MTD tech support. I called up and got through to Scott Right away, without having to wait for 15 minutes or go through a bunch of menus. He spent quite a while on the phone with me making suggestions and talking about possible areas to look at. All this, and he knew I didn't even own the thing yet, and was buying a used unit. You don't get that kind of service many places these days.

--John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
JStep
Me want bigger tractor

MTF Member # 35082

So I went back out to take another look this morning. Upon closer inspection in better lighting, it turned out that the belt keeper/guard near the drive pulley behind the auger housing was adjusted improperly and was contacting the drive pulley, creating the metal on metal noise. The PO and I adjusted it properly and problem solved!

I popped off the grease port plug on the worm gear box and checked the grease, which looked good, so I went through with the deal. Now begins the fun of fabricating and modifying the bracket to fit it onto my 1974 MTD 990!

--John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.