Leaking oil? No, SQUIRTING OIL - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 02-04-2011, 02:29 AM   post #1 of 11
hpf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53345
Default Leaking oil? No, SQUIRTING OIL

This little machine is just giving me one problem after another. I think it's purpose in life is to be a teacher -- I'm getting a crash course here on things I never knew. (Actually started looking to take a small engine repair course, just to get up to speed).

Anyway, I still have a problem with stalling/overheating, especially under load. But, I've noticed more and more oil leakage. It really got bad this past snowstorm. A fairly constant slow leak from somewhere (haven't determine it yet) while parked.

But, now, a VERY rapid leak while working. I noticed drips drips drips in the snow everywhere I went. When I finally opened the hood I see the engine is just smoldering. (Is that normal?)

Noticed a large oil wet spot on the right side, above the muffler. Looks like oil is shooting out of the engine there between the head and body. Some shoots right onto the muffler (it is stained now), and obviously smoked quite a bit.

So -- I *could* have a bad or blown head gasket, right?
I *could* have added too much oil, perhaps?
I *could* have somethign wrong with the breather assembly?

I've read that a clogged breather or improperly installed breather could cause pressure buildup in the engine, and result in spewing oil.

Now, if I were to check the breather -- how do I go about unclogging it? If I start to disassemble the breather, do I need new gaskets to put it back together, or can I just put it back together?

The air cleaner on this thing isn't the right one, as far as I can tell. It is ROUND and not a teardrop, as I thought it was supposed to be. This means that the largish HOSE coming out of the left side of the engine near the flywheel isn't connected to anything, just open to the air. And it also means that the little tube underneath the carb sticking out of the engine doesn't connect to anything.

If anyone has a 200 series can someone explain to me how this tube, and the hose, fit together in relation to the aircleaner?

Thanks guys. I'm starting to wonder if I should give up on the project, sell it, and buy a newer tractor. Talk me out it. I'm attached to her, but I'm wavering.

hpf
hpf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 06:31 AM   post #2 of 11
Herd of Deeres
Certified Master Tinkerer

MTF Member # 32443
Default Re: Leaking oil? No, SQUIRTING OIL

No need to give up on her yet - remember that that machine is old enough to so there'll be a few bumps in the road. These are splash oiler engines and AFAIK there are no oil passages in the block that go through the head so if its blowing oil out the headgasket its a complicated problem. Check out this thread for some good pix of the head disassembled. The breather is right at the other end of the small tube under the carb. Assuming its never been changed the gasket may break when removed but since its not under pressure you can use some gasket goo or just get a new one from the dealer - should be relatively cheap. If you've overfilled the oil, reset it to the proper level. Since your air cleaner setup is incorrect that's the first thing I'd fix. A member here or one of the parts places that Seargent posts may be able to set you up. If yours looks like this:

It should look like this:

1963 John Deere 110

Deerely DeParted:
1969 JD 110 H DeereZilla

On to Greener pastures:
1969.5 JD 110H FrankenDeere
Herd of Deeres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 AM   post #3 of 11
hpf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53345

HD, thank you!

Am I correct that the large hole on the right in the first pic is connect to the air cleaner by a hose and that the breather tube also is attached to the air cleaner?

Do both go in it?

I'm a little confused because the Kohler service manual says that sometimes the breather tube might "contact" the air cleaner assembly and you should cut the tube to proper length. Now, do they mean just scraping the bottom of the air cleaner assembly or do they mean it is too long "inside" the air cleaner.

I just have never seen a pic (understandably) or a diagram of how that little tube and the air cleaner interact. I'm hoping someone can check their setup and tell me if the air cleaner is attached to both the little tube and the larger hose?

HD. . . I'm trying not to give up on the old girl. . . but I find myself thinking about the X500 more and more.

hpf
Old 02-04-2011, 10:06 AM   post #4 of 11
MACH1SCJ
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 54310

Here are som pcks of my 76 300 16 hp looks to be about the same.
The breather being off will not cause it to blow oil out--excessive blowby can cause this but before you go there ---you said it might be over filled with oil-

- do you not have a dipstick to check it? Because over filled oil will certenly cause it to pump the excess out...

The large hose is basicly just a fresh air supply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00195-20110204-0854.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	142433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00196-20110204-0855.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	142434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00197-20110204-0855.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	142435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00198-20110204-0855.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	142436  

MACH1SCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 AM   post #5 of 11
hpf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53345

Thanks Mach! That pic shows me that indeed both the tube and the hose go into the air cleanwr assembly.

I do have dipstick. I do think I can eliminate overfill since I checked with the stick , I was including in for completness. Of course maybe I checked or read it wrong.

I am curious about the breather since that tube has been open to the elemnts, and something might have clogged it. If so, that might cause it to have positive pressure in there and blow oil through any weak points right?

What do you reccomend? Can I take off that tube and blow it out? Should I take the entire breather assembly off and apart?

Thanks guys,
Hpf
Old 02-04-2011, 12:23 PM   post #6 of 11
bluespruce
MTF Member

MTF Member # 48587

The breather not working right could cause problems like that. The tube on older engines was open to the elements, so not a problem on yours. I would take the breather apart and clean it all up and make sure it is put back on right. If the gasket don't tear reuse to see if that fixes the problem untill you get new ones
bluespruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 02:03 PM   post #7 of 11
hpf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53345

Thanks bluesprce!

I'm a little worried about putting the breather on right. The kholer manual didn't seem to have any info. What are some common mistakes? What should I look for?

Hpf
Old 02-04-2011, 02:16 PM   post #8 of 11
bluespruce
MTF Member

MTF Member # 48587

Filter dirty, valve sticking,and parts missing or in the wrong order. Should be flat valve then a metal bracket then a rubber tube piece, filter over that, then the cover.
bluespruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 03:37 PM   post #9 of 11
Jere39
Have Dog - Will Travel

MTF Member # 47088

Are you confident it is engine oil? And, not for instance some hydro fluid spraying from some hidden leak onto the places you are finding it? Just a thought. Hydro is pressurized, and will spray further than you might think, and is often hard to track down the actual leak. Good luck with your investigation.

Jere39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 PM   post #10 of 11
TurtleBoy
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 49620

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpf View Post
Thanks guys. I'm starting to wonder if I should give up on the project, sell it, and buy a newer tractor. Talk me out it. I'm attached to her, but I'm wavering.

hpf
No, don't give up on it yet. As you said, you are using it as a learning experience and so far it doesn't seem to be too expensive. Besides, I always look forward to what happens next.
TurtleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 PM   post #11 of 11
TurtleBoy
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 49620

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpf View Post
Thanks bluesprce!

I'm a little worried about putting the breather on right. The kholer manual didn't seem to have any info. What are some common mistakes? What should I look for?

Hpf
Take pictures of everything as you disassemble it so you can refer to them when you put it back together. Of course, that will only work if it is put together correctly in the first place.
TurtleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.