Changing Hydraulic Fluid 8n - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 01-31-2011, 04:10 PM   post #1 of 6
hossfly
MTF Member

MTF Member # 38334
Default Changing Hydraulic Fluid 8n

I was looking in the operators manual to determine how to change the transmission/hydraulic/differential fluid for my 49 8n. It shows three drain plugs. The manual also shows a fill plug. I assume this is the plug on top of the transmission by the shifter.

So my question is this, if I have to drain from three different plugs, is there an order that should be followed of what to drain first, second and third? And if I have to drain from three places, is it correct that I only fill from the one spot?
hossfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 04:24 PM   post #2 of 6
Steve (Magnolia, TX)
Retired - Veteran Mod

MTF Member # 251
Garage
Default Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid 8n

No... not really a 'necessary' order to open your drain plugs (but I WOULD recommend opening all 3). The common practice seems to be back to front (differential, hydraulics, transmission).

I HIGHLY recommend cleaning things out REALLY well. Here's a response that I posted a couple of years back on how I did this...
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showpo...8&postcount=20

Yes... you fill at the one plug, on the transmission cover.
Steve (Magnolia, TX) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 06:45 PM   post #3 of 6
JohnW
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 1445
Garage

what he said.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 AM   post #4 of 6
Ken N Tx
Retired MTF Admin

MTF Member # 117
Garage

There are three plugs ..One pipe threaded plug under the rear end..Empty this one first!! Next there is a 2" plug under the hydro and a 2" under the tranny..HAVE A LARGE (AT LEAST 3 GALLON) bucket ready when you open these 2!! Your refill will be 4.5 to 5 gallons of 90 weight MINERAL OIL..This you can get at Tractor Supply..Another method that I have used, is to remove one of the Pump Plate mounting bolts (next to the big drain plug) to drain a greater portion of the fluid, then remove the large one.

When refilling, take the bottom bolt out of the side inspection cover, when the fluid flows out stop!! The inspection cover is by your right heel when sitting on the tractor..(picture below)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear Filler 1.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	141949  
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 AM   post #5 of 6
Steve (Magnolia, TX)
Retired - Veteran Mod

MTF Member # 251
Garage

I buy my GL1 spec 90wt Mineral Oil at my local Tractor Supply. I USED to be able to buy a 5 gallon bucket for about $40. I didn't see the 5 gallon buckets, yesterday, but... I did see 2 gallon bottles...

(P.S. These are clickable thumbnails... click the picture for a larger version)
Steve (Magnolia, TX) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 PM   post #6 of 6
38Chevy454
MTF Member

MTF Member # 52036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken N Tx View Post
There are three plugs ..One pipe threaded plug under the rear end..Empty this one first!! Next there is a 2" plug under the hydro and a 2" under the tranny..HAVE A LARGE (AT LEAST 3 GALLON) bucket ready when you open these 2!! Your refill will be 4.5 to 5 gallons of 90 weight MINERAL OIL..This you can get at Tractor Supply..Another method that I have used, is to remove one of the Pump Plate mounting bolts (next to the big drain plug) to drain a greater portion of the fluid, then remove the large one.

When refilling, take the bottom bolt out of the side inspection cover, when the fluid flows out stop!! The inspection cover is by your right heel when sitting on the tractor..(picture below)
This is good advice, the smaller plug under the rear end is easier to drain out what you can in a controlled manner. The large plugs at the trans and pump area will dump out real fast. So drain what you can out the rear end first, then open the other two large plugs after.

Also on the fluid, I do not have a tractor supply near me, so I just used the cheap WalMart 90W gear oil that is listed as copper/brass safe. Seems to work fine for me. The WM gear oil has extra presure additives and anti-foaming additives, but theose don't affect the hydraulics.

My intro: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showth...67#post1426567

Kubota B3300SU
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.