My Tractor Forum banner

Red

24K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  larrybl 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Awsome slide show.Very nice job on the restores!The devil is in all the details.The time spent looks like it was well worth it by the end results.

#3 ·
Nice machine you have there, You did a great resto on RED. :thThumbsU

Can I ask where did you get the diamond plate rubber floor board material and what did you use to stick it down? :thanku:

#4 ·
The non skid pads came from a local store called "Freds". I have seen the same at Lowes, there are other versions too like corse sand paper. All have an adhesive backing that works fairly good. I did have to re-stick one with regular contact cement.

A quick internet search turned up what I used.
http://www.amazon.com/NON-SLIP-RUBBER-STAIR-TREAD/dp/B000XQVC76

#6 ·
An update on RED, It's been four years now and he is still going strong. A couple updates over the winter.
Replaced the nylon steering bushings with brass
New gasket kit for the engine, replaced the oil slinger while in there
A couple new deck idler pullies
refreshed the paint
added expermential LED head lights (retained the 1156's)
And a MTF member posted about a really cool bumper on sale at sears, a bunch of us made a run on them.

Plenty of seat time for all!

Attachments

#7 ·
Nice Pic's !!!!

#12 ·
The white on black looks good! I restored a Ford LGT 145 and it has white rear fenders. The white seems to take more coats for some reason :dunno:

#13 ·
:dunno:

I'm re doing my 72 145 now, hope it's complete next month, I blew out the Hydraulic lift pushing gravel this week and have had a really hard time finding one that will fit, Any one know where to find one to fit, You can't buy this one and if you did its going to blow to. I think I have found one, but on the threaded end it takes a 11/16 nut, but only 1/2" across the threaded part,, That is where I am getting confused,what size are the treads according to the measurements I gave,any help please, I do not want to order the wrong one and have to send it back, I do not know why they sideways, Thanks

Attachments

#11 ·
Still looking good!

#15 ·
It has been holding up well. Several mowings and still no slop in the steering. Feels almost like a go-cart steering and gives confidence while barreling at a mesquete tree at full bore in 6th that I can dodge it with a flick of the wheel and not have to gear down.

#16 ·
Ended up cleaning the deck three times for one lawn cutting.
First was to clean last weeks cutting which filled a 5 gallon bucket and had the consistency of hard clay. Then I cut the front 1.5 acres and quit for the evening.
Got up the next day and cleaned under the deck which netted another 5 gallon bucket which was like mud consistency, then I cut the back 1.5 acres, took some pictures of before and after cleaning.
It really cuts good for the first hour or so then I start to need to go over (lap twice the same track) to finish up. The other choice would be to clean the deck every hour (not!)
The jack really is paying off, but a couple notes.
If jacking from the front, make sure the gas tank is almost empty, This time I jacked from the back. Once I let Red down the starter only clicked, I had to rotate the engine by hand for a couple revs, I think the cylinder filled with gas. After some cranking he fired up. Acted like he was flooded but cleared up after 10 - 20 seconds or so.

Attachments

#17 ·
Red skipped a cog while turning on the latest mowing. I ordered the parts last night, then got up this morning and remembered I had stashed a lot of Craftsman parts from Red and Hulks previous builds. These were done in the old shop so I had to look a while till I found the bucket with the goodies, Yep new steering "T" and a new brass bushing. Guess the ones I ordered will go back in the bucket. Soooo. Long story short, Red steers like an Indy Car now. Only hiccup was connecting the Amp meter backwards. I used a small piece of flashing to tighten up where the steering fits into the nylon bushing, and I use a common brass bushing instead of the plastic ny-liner. Overall not too difficult. And save to say I don't have to dress Hulk II for mowing duty.
Could have been a blessing in disguise as I found the king pin for the front axle had lost it's bolt and was trying to escape. I will need to find a new bolt and nut as the only nut I had was fine thread so I cross threaded it on there as a Temp fix.

Attachments

#18 ·
Nice Larry. I've had 3 LT's with that type steering box and all had worn out T's. I hope the part for the 3'rd one will be here today and I will start taking the gear out of the tractor. How do you reference the arm and the large gear when you take it apart? The last one I did I took a picture of it before I took it apart and used it as a reference when I put it back together, hope you have a better method.
Cannon

#19 ·
A picture is good, what I did this time was set all the parts inside the mower, dropped the pitman arm down through the slot then centered the wheels and lined the arm up with the drag link using (eyeball calibration) then centered the sector gear on the steering shaft gear. I fully expected I would be taking it apart for fine tuning but it came out fine, and turns stop to stop.

#20 ·
This is the one I tore down this morning out of a '95 LT. I have a new "T" coming today but need to get a bushing for the arm side. The OE plastic is long gone and the shaft has worn the bracket hole a little oblong. Looks like I need a 3/4 id bushing but it doesn't look like 7/8 will go in the bracket. Do you remember what size bushing you used, they may not be the same since your tractor is a GT.
Cannon

Attachments

#21 ·
I think I took the pitman arm to Tractor supply to find a brass bushing that would fit the shaft, then used a dremal to carefully widen the bracket hole so the outer side of the bushing would fit snug. This replaces the plastic ny-liner (which I have three new ones in a bucket). I can take measurements off the old bushing tonight, it wasn't worn very much, but sence I has a new one, and was in there what the hay.
PS, your set up looks like the small one I have, What is the steering shaft length?

#23 ·
I have a spare pitman arm, bracket, steering shaft, and gear. All look almost new, but won't fit mine. No bushings. If interested PM me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.