Just picked up a new nail driver Marlin 882SS - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Shooting sports If it shoots, and it can be used in any sort of a sport... lets discuss it here....

Old 01-15-2011, 04:19 PM   post #1 of 23
munderhill
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 3901
Default Just picked up a new nail driver Marlin 882SS

I just picked up this nice Marlin 882SS, 22 Win.Mag.
Has 4X32 Bushnell (inexpensive) scope. Got it this morning then went to range. This thing is sweet! I like the stainless/plastic stock. The black scope looks pretty good on it for contrast. What do you think?
It came with sweet fiber optic open sites too, not that they will get used.
My son (11) and I took turns (clip) shooting 7 at a time. Nice tight groups (as expected). We shot CCI ammo.
Going tomorrow to a longer outdoor range with a Bud's .204 (AR15) and this to have fun.
My first bolt action rifle. Been wanting a magnum for a while. I think this is as much fun as shooting my Marlin 39a golden lever action! Both awesome rimfire guns, IMO.
My apology for the poor pic's. I've got to upgrade my camera again soon.

MU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marlin882-1.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	139078   Click image for larger version

Name:	marlin882-2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	139079  
munderhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 05:25 PM   post #2 of 23
Tencubed
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 31735
Default Re: Just picked up a new nail driver Marlin 882SS

Nice rifle. Never owned one but seen a couple on the range. One had a great trigger, the other, well, not so much. How's yours?

Both of the ones I saw, and shot, had more potential than my old eyes could get out of them.

Mike
Old 01-15-2011, 06:23 PM   post #3 of 23
munderhill
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 3901

My son commented how much he liked the trigger, funny you ask. It was spot on for me.
I was putting bullets in the same hole of the target a couple times, no BS! Of course this was at the indoor range, but still pretty good.
Tomorrow at the outdoor longer range will be a better test of our accuracy/skills.

Just ordered 2 more clips and some bullets!

MU
Old 01-15-2011, 09:48 PM   post #4 of 23
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51

I've had similar experience with my old Marlin bolt action rifle in .22 LR. I have no proof of this, but I believe Marlin's micro-groove rifling has something to do with the great accuracy of their rifles.My brother and I would shoot taqrgets at 75 feet and when the centers were shot out, we'd shoot out the tacks we used to hold the target up. Mine had an inexpensive Weaver 3-6 power variable scope on it. I love mine as much as you will love yours. Great rifles for the money.

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 10:21 PM   post #5 of 23
coldone
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 24068

A buddy of mine had a marlin bolt in 22 mag. That was one of the best shooting rifles i ever held. We could routinely shoot 1/2 inch groups at 150 yards. Marlins are one of my favorite rifles, I have never been dissapointed with any I have picked up.
coldone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 11:28 PM   post #6 of 23
DeepSouth
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 42929

I have a marlin bolt that I am refinishing and love the gun. Feels great, and shoots great also. A friend of mine has a semi .22, I tell him that if he was good he would be fine with a bolt, just do not miss!

Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son

I Believe In Peace Through Superior Firepower

You donít drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there

There is a way that nature speaks, that land speaks. Most of the time we are simply not patient enough, quiet enough, to pay attention to the story
DeepSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 09:15 AM   post #7 of 23
munderhill
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 3901

If I do go to the outdoor range today I'll try to remember to take the camera.
I'll get some shots of the targets etc.
I think the micro groove does have alot to do with accuracy.

My 39a Golden is spot on with the open sites. I refuse to put a scope on this beautiful lever gun. Lever guns to me just do not look right with scopes, my opinion.

Thanks for the reply's.
Now I don't have the feeling of regret buying it.

MU
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 AM   post #8 of 23
rfowler
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 46333
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by munderhill View Post
If I do go to the outdoor range today I'll try to remember to take the camera.
I'll get some shots of the targets etc.
I think the micro groove does have alot to do with accuracy.

My 39a Golden is spot on with the open sites. I refuse to put a scope on this beautiful lever gun. Lever guns to me just do not look right with scopes, my opinion.

Thanks for the reply's.
Now I don't have the feeling of regret buying it.

MU
I used to have groundhogs around here. They dug holes everywhere. My Marlin 883SS took care of that problem. Got about 5-6 the first year, about 4 the next year, 3 the following etc. Haven't seen one around here for a few years now. I wonder if they communicate. You will never regret that purchase.

2010 X728
Mulch kit
Rear Quick hitch
Rear weight bracket
10P cart
rfowler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 08:02 AM   post #9 of 23
munderhill
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 3901

First off, my apology for no pic's.
Went to the range about 2 yesterday and had a great time. Had to adjust the scope a bit - 4 clicks (up) and 7 clicks right. I set it at 50 yards. Had nice groups within a 2.0" diameter. Then took a few at the 150 yard mark and was about 3" there. I was very impressed with myself and son. This is our first bolt, scope sited gun. Definitely room for improvement, but that is the fun part.
Most of the first 1/2 hour was tuning it in. By then our eyes were pretty beat.
My buddy was a huge help as he watched our shots with his AR15-.204ruger. He was able to instruct clicks as his has a 3-9X40 scope. I shot that too. WOW what a fine rifle that thing is.
We finished up shooting his PARA carry .45.

Great afternoon!

MU
Old 01-17-2011, 09:44 AM   post #10 of 23
MF283
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 33230

Quote:

My 39a Golden is spot on with the open sites. I refuse to put a scope on this beautiful lever gun.

MU
My thought's exactly, my 75 year old mother-n-law can still shoot the center out of a target with this rifle.
I borrowed a Marlin 22 mag years ago from a friend to kill off a few ground pigs, i enjoyed that a lot more than the bigger center fire rifles that i shoot.

What is the going price on the 882?

Ronnie

Last edited by MF283; 01-17-2011 at 10:17 AM.
MF283 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 12:43 PM   post #11 of 23
munderhill
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 3901

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF283 View Post
My thought's exactly, my 75 year old mother-n-law can still shoot the center out of a target with this rifle.
I borrowed a Marlin 22 mag years ago from a friend to kill off a few ground pigs, i enjoyed that a lot more than the bigger center fire rifles that i shoot.

What is the going price on the 882?

Ronnie
I paid $200 out the door. I feel it was reasonable for a stainless model in mint original conition. I thought it was brand new as it was on the wall with all the new guns. He pointed out after I said I'd take it that it was indeed used!
I know what I paid for the 39a new and felt I was getting a very good deal. The 39a was more tha twice what I paid for this one.

MU
Old 01-17-2011, 01:35 PM   post #12 of 23
Brainey
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 38761

I bought that same rifle on the used rack with out a scope before Christmas for varmints out farther than my handgun will allow me make clean kills with.
I put a cheapo 3x9 scope on it and cleaned up the trigger a bit. If I do my part, 1\2" groups at 100 yds is relatively easy to achieve.
Each rifle is a law unto itself, meaning not every rifle of like caliber or brand will always shoot the same. But, with a 25 yard zero, my rifle shoots 1.5" high at 50 yds, and almost dead on again at 100 yds. That is using CCI 40 grain JHP ammo. I swapped out the longer 7 shot mag with a shorter 4 shot factory mag. I didn't like that longer mag sticking me in the side while carrying the gun slung on my shoulder. I rarely need 7 shots for any hunting\shooting I do.
They are an accurate rifle at a very reasonable price. Enjoy.
Brad
JD 185 (sold)
CC 126
CC 129
CC 1450
CC1282 (sold)
Sleeve Hitches
Plows, disc, cultivator, Pull behind sprayer
Front blades and various trailers

Last edited by Brainey; 01-17-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Brainey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 02:10 PM   post #13 of 23
Tencubed
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 31735

Quote:
This is our first bolt, scope sited gun. Definitely room for improvement, but that is the fun part.
Most of the first 1/2 hour was tuning it in. By then our eyes were pretty beat.

Great afternoon!
Sounds like you had a good time. I'd offer a couple of thoughts for your consideration about the scope sight.

First, I noticed the groups did not enlarge much when the range was increased. This could indicate parallax in the scope which can be adjusted to a given range. I'd suggest 100 yards for your rifle. It may be properly adjusted at the present time. Easy way to tell if the scope is properly set is to place the rifle on sandbags with the crosshairs on a small object at the desired range. Then, without touching or shaking the rifle, look thru the scope and move your eye side to side and up and down. If the crosshairs appear to move on the target parallax is present. The amount the crosshairs move on the target plus the maximum spread the rifle will shoot will be the smallest group you can reasonably expect on the average. Most scopes have a section in the owners pamphlet on this adjustment. The website of the company should have the information as well.

Next, you mentioned that your eyes "were pretty beat". If the focal length of the scope is properly set and the scope is in focus for the shooters eyes their should be no eye strain.

To set focal length simply pick up the rifle with your eyes closed, get in a comfortable shooting stance and open your eyes. You should see a full, clear view thru the scope. If you see less than a full field then move your head forward or back to get the full view. Adjust the scope forward or backward as needed.

Focus is adjusted in different manners on different scopes. Usually it's a matter of unlocking the rear lens lock nut and turning the lens fore or aft a bit. Be sure to lock the lens in place with the locking nut. Focus is proper when you can open your eyes behind the scope and the field is instantly in focus without your eye having to make up for it. Older eyes have more of a problem with this.

You should be able to look thru a properly adjusted scope for extended periods with no eye strain. Some cheap scopes are very difficult to bring into adjustment as the lenses are just not that good.

Fine tuning a rifle is a bit time consuming but once done it makes shooting it a lot more fun. Knowing the bullet is going to hit where the crosshairs are is very confidence building. I've helped people adjust the parallax on scopes from time to time and watched their groups shrink remarkably. Always fun.

I agree about the Marlin barrels, most of them are shooters right out of the box with little or no shooting in required. Now that "Big Green" owns them this may change.

Mike
Old 01-17-2011, 05:36 PM   post #14 of 23
munderhill
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 3901

Thanks for all the pointers. It was getting alot more enjoyable as the time went on. Just as you said, when the hole is where you intended.
Would a 3-9x40 be better suited for this gun? Is the 4x32 enough. Said .22 scope on the package.

MU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 11:47 PM   post #15 of 23
Brainey
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 38761

Most 22 scopes have the parallax set at 50 yds. An adjustable objective is a handy feature to have on a gun that will be shot at ranges closer than 100 yds.(Scopes for high powered rifles set at 100) or farther than 50 yds. Tencubed has explained how parralax affects accuracy. I like a 3x9 scope for the fact that at longer ranges I can get a better sight picture due to the higher magnification. I probably could'nt see a 1" target dot well enough to center the cross hairs on it at 100 yds. I expect that at 4X the cross hairs would mostly cover up the entire dot. If you are trying to shoot tight groups on a target, the magnification helps, but 4X scopes have been killing game for a long time. As a matter of fact, most times when I am out hunting, the 4X setting is where I have the power ring set at.
Had I found one at a decent price, a 4-12X power scope would have been on my rifle, especially if I could get one with an adjustable objective to help eliminate the parallax.
But, it was close to Christmas and the fundage for that one just wasn't there at the time.
One thing I forgot to mention, the stock on our rifles is pretty flimsy at the forend. If you are shooting from a rest, don't put too much pressure on the front of the gun, it will cause yours groups to string vertically. I eliminated this by free floating the barrel on mine.
Hope this helps. Brad
p.s. I took mine out this evening and got tomorrow's supper with it. Shot a rabbit (head shot) wasn't much left from the ears forward... Need to make a note to never take a body shot on game animals for the pot.
JD 185 (sold)
CC 126
CC 129
CC 1450
CC1282 (sold)
Sleeve Hitches
Plows, disc, cultivator, Pull behind sprayer
Front blades and various trailers
Brainey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.