Toro CCR3650 stalling - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Snow Removal Equipment Winter snow throwing, plowing, and removal forum. From snow blowers to snow shovels, you'll find them here.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
Timecutter
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 51356
Default Toro CCR3650 stalling

I have a three year old Toro CCR 3650 single stage unit.

I always run the blower dry of gas at the end of the season. I don't use additives, but I'll be upfront that, at times, I've goofed the mixture on the oil/gas. Not always, but I have. Still, it's got three very light seasons of use so far. Really, just 2.5.

Here is what is going on. I prime it and it starts on the first pull with the choke on. I move it to half choke after a few. min. and start blowing snow. It works great for about 10min. and then it starts to gag and act like it wants to stall. It will cycle up and down between a fast idle and almost dying. It I move it to having the chok completely on, it will run good for another min. or two and then it starts that cycling up and down again. At that point, I have to mess with the choke constantly to keep it from stalling. After 20-30min., it's toast. I have to wait for it to COMPLETELY cool down (several hours) and then start it and it's fine -- this is normally after sitting in my warm garage.

What's going on?

Thanks!
Shumax
Timecutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
miller17636
Lawn Boys Never Die

MTF Member # 34706
Default Re: Toro CCR3650 stalling

Sounds like your ignition coil is starting to go. Sounds like the classic symptoms on a lawn mower. Starts fine and runs until it heats up, then won't start at all. Let it cool down and it starts right up. Get a new coil and go from there.
1971 John Deere 120
1970 John Deere 120
25 Lawn boys
Stihl Chain Saw
Stihl Blower/Shredder
Agri Fab Tow behind leaf vac
miller17636 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
rscurtis
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 25367

Sounds to me like it's running out of fuel. After it stops, shut off the fuel and remove the float bowl, and see how much fuel is in there. If it's empty, you found the problem.
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Timecutter
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 51356

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscurtis View Post
Sounds to me like it's running out of fuel. After it stops, shut off the fuel and remove the float bowl, and see how much fuel is in there. If it's empty, you found the problem.
If it's out of fuel, what would have caused that? How about throwing some stabl in the tank an a shot of carb and choke cleaner for good measure? It really does sound like it's starving for fuel.

To the other poster -- it will start when it's hot, but it just does that cycling up and down -- high RPM, low RPM to the point it ALMOST dies - adjust the choke a bit and it "catches" and does that cycle again.

How do I tear this thing apart -- including the float bowl?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Fcubman
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 18953

I'd check the gas cap vent for obstruction first! If air can't get in, the gas can't get out. You could try running it with the cap very loose and see what happens, or try gently blowing through the vent hole in the cap.
These are classic symptoms of a blocked cap.

If you can, drain the tank and look in with a flashlight. See if there's some crud at the bottom of the tank that blocks the fuel flow after a while. Not too likely in this case, but possible.

It sounds to me like fuel starvation, since it will start soon after stalling.

Cheap to check, easy to do. Start with the easy stuff.

This sounds like a 2-stroke unit, and may not have a float bowl if it has a pumper carb. If you have a float bowl, it will be on the bottom of the carb, and probably has 4 screws that hold it on. Gas will run out (or it should) when you take the bowl off and the float drops. If gas doesn't come out freely, there's your problem.

Living in The Land Of The Free - because of The Brave!
Fcubman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
s10lowrider1994
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45450

Sounds like the coil to me, fuel starvation is also a possibility but the fact that its irratic and not constant makes me think ignition.
s10lowrider1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
Timecutter
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 51356

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10lowrider1994 View Post
Sounds like the coil to me, fuel starvation is also a possibility but the fact that its irratic and not constant makes me think ignition.
I just finished blowing out 6" of light powder. The unit runs great for about 4-5 passes and then the troubles begin. I tried to tape that opening shut by the choke adjustment and it didn't seem to matter. Here is what I observed:

Once it starts to act up, the blower needs to be fully choked for a min. and then I can go to half choke and it runs well for a min. and then the process repeats itself. Eventually, the blower ended up stalling and stopping and no matter where I placed the choke, I couldn't get it started again.

I tipped the machine up and noticed there is a hole below the choke -likely where the card is - and there was gas/oil leaking out the bottom that had pooled on the plastic housing and a single drip was ready to fall from that area.

I haven't had time to tear into it. I get how to lower the bowl on the carb now - how do I check the coil?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Fcubman
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 18953

Have a known good spark plug in your pocket. When the machine quits for good, pull the plug wire and put it on your spare plug, ground the plug to the block, and check for spark. Checking a coil with a meter doesn't tell you much, especially if it's heat related.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Timecutter
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 51356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcubman View Post
Have a known good spark plug in your pocket. When the machine quits for good, pull the plug wire and put it on your spare plug, ground the plug to the block, and check for spark. Checking a coil with a meter doesn't tell you much, especially if it's heat related.

So, I got the time to pull the carb bowl. It has gas coming from it quite a bit. I pulled the plug and it was oil fouled. I cleaned it up and put it back in.

UNFORTUNATELY, as I was cleaning the carb float area (which is cork, is that normal), I shot the pin and spring into god knows where. Gosh was I not happy. I couldn't find all of the parts, so I buttoned it up and then the recoil on the cord wouldn't work.

Frustrated and realizing I no longer had time for it - and out of concern of another snow storm next week - it went to the shop. I don't normally do that, but I realized my time isn't there and it (hopefully) will be worth it.

What did really irritate me was that I paid $700 for this unit in December of 2005. I wish now I had bought a two stage. If the repair bill is in excess of $200 on this one, it's going to the curb and I'll bite the bullet and buy another brand of two stage.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. Thoughts are welcome and appreciated!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Fcubman
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 18953

That hurts! But, sometimes it pay to know when to quit. I sometimes don't know when to quit, and end up beating myself up unnecessarily.
That's one reason I treated myself to a new Conquest to rely on, and have the old iron to play with and enjoy using. Sounds like you made the right decision.
If you end up getting another machine, treat yourself to the very best you can afford. You are worth it!

Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
Timecutter
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 51356

Well, it's been repaired. I am impressed with the shop, for sure! In the height of a snow storm, I took it to them at 5pm and by 11am the NEXT day, it was done. I haven't used it, but they told me they ran it twice for 15min. and it ran great!

They had to replace the carb float because it was crumbling/warped, etc. They also replaced the seals and lubed it up. They said that they also had to replace the parts I blew into the next county with that carb cleaner. Sigh...felt like an idiot. Anyway, the cost of parts was $20. For $106, I was out the door.

I look forward to the next storm so that I can try it out!

Shumax
Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Fcubman
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 18953

Sounds like you made out pretty well. Things happen. The important part is that you now have a running machine. Sounds like that shop is a keeper! Good service and reasonable pricing, too.
Around here, labor is hitting $80/hour, and they'd probably just order a new carb instead of fixing the original. Easier and more money for them.
Congrats! and enjoy!

Old 01-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #13
Fosgate
MTF Member

MTF Member # 41689

Surprised no one mentioned to try adding "Heat" or Isopropyl Alcahol to the fuel. Sounded like a classic case of water in the fuel to me. Happens all the time around here if people don't run ethanol or add heat to their cars.
Fosgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 02:58 AM   #14
s10lowrider1994
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45450

Glad to hear its back up and running. I researched that exact model a few weeks ago and it turns out the 3650s that use the new "Rtek" engine arent exactly known for being reliable and have a ton of complaints similar to yours. Is that what motor is in yours?
s10lowrider1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
Timecutter
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 51356

I got the chance to run it this morning in 4" of fresh, light, snow. It ran as good as it did the day that I bought it.

They ended up changing the fuel filter, spark plug, air filter (I think?) and then the carb float, needle and the gaskets. They also blew all the fuel out and put in fresh fuel. It started on the first pull and really did run great!

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.