L Model Gravely - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 12-19-2010, 10:05 PM   post #1 of 17
EstrellaStables
MTF Member

MTF Member # 53697
Default L Model Gravely

hello peoples!!

ok gonna get to the point: I got this L Model Gravely. not sure on exact year but i believe its in the 60s somewhere (i can look at the numbers sometime this week)

looks like the one on the right with the mower attachment (no these are not mine)

been searching the forum and have a few ideas but i figure i would just ask outright. i can walk out right now and she will start up fine, and run solid. take it out to the field, stop it to engage the death blade, and she wont start again. if i leave it for a few hours she will start right back up, sometimes. had to tow it 1/4 mile back to the barn the other day. it drove itself out just fine. when i tried to restart her, it seemed like there was not enough battery power to get it to crank over. it would start to try then drop off and when i pushed the starter a second time i get nothing.

ideas and or other similar post i can read??
EstrellaStables is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 10:51 PM   post #2 of 17
Jimmy in NC
Old Iron Connoisseur

MTF Member # 36741
Default Re: L Model Gravely

Have you charged the battery? These tractors do not have a charging system built in and require you to charge the battery with a separate 110v charger. Put a good charge in the battery and I bet your problems are solved.

My name is Jimmy and I have G.A.S.
Click for an explanation if you need it....

Gravely 816s, 8182-T (Going back to 8183-T soon!), 526, Lots of "L"
Round Fender John Deere 110

Jimmy in NC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 11:07 PM   post #3 of 17
EstrellaStables
MTF Member

MTF Member # 53697

battery has not only been charged but also replaced. the above issue happened a few times over the past 6 months. have so much other stuff to work on that i just let it sit. its now back at the top of the list. Batt was the first thing i replaced. still showed the same symptoms. with that being said i will update that aside from the batt nothing has been replaced on this machine
Old 12-19-2010, 11:23 PM   post #4 of 17
DJ in WV
I Love All Color Tractors

MTF Member # 10462
Garage

Welcome to the forum. Great to have another Gravely nut around.

Those are both very nice looking machines. Looks to me like they have been used, but taken care off too.

OK, now to the problem. It sounds to me like the timing might be an issue. I have had this happen a couple of times. When mine is a little out of time, it will start well on a cold start but not on a "hot" start.

Since the battery is, hopefully, ruled out, the first thing that I would do is install a new plug, wire, clean and set the points, and set the timing. The plug and wire together will run you around $20 if I remember correctly.

For parts, call up Richard over at Richard's Lawn and Garden. Here's his web site: http://www.gravelyparts.com

He is great to work with and is very fair, not to mention an encyclopedia of Gravely.

Good luck and let us know how all this works out.

MyTractorForum.com House Rules

Looking for a Technical Exchange Article? Here's an Index!

My YouTube Page

My Equipment:

1970 Gravely C10A
1972 Gravely 816
1973 Gravely Model C8
Eight other Gravely C's, L's, and LI's
1978 Massey Ferguson 1655
1981 Troy Bilt Horse, 7HP Kohler
1982 Gravely 8123
1983 Troy Bilt Junior
1988 JD 950, 75 Loader, 8A Backhoe
DJ in WV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2010, 12:12 AM   post #5 of 17
Fla Don
Gravely bug bit.

MTF Member # 33720

Won't start when warm seems to be the problem. So lets work from there. For one it could be a weak starter, or starter switch. The warm engine could be loading down the engine. It also could be due to a problem with the piston. If someone has ever taken the piston out, it could be in backwards. That would cause extra friction when hot.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:37 AM   post #6 of 17
EstrellaStables
MTF Member

MTF Member # 53697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ in WV View Post

OK, now to the problem. It sounds to me like the timing might be an issue. I have had this happen a couple of times. When mine is a little out of time, it will start well on a cold start but not on a "hot" start.

Since the battery is, hopefully, ruled out, the first thing that I would do is install a new plug, wire, clean and set the points, and set the timing. The plug and wire together will run you around $20 if I remember correctly.
plug and wire have been replaced. i'll clean the points next time i head out and see if that fixes it. i got a ton of vines and brush along about a 1/4 of fence line i need to clear out so i need to get this monster running. otherwise its up to me and the chainsaw..........
Old 12-20-2010, 09:38 AM   post #7 of 17
EstrellaStables
MTF Member

MTF Member # 53697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Don View Post
Won't start when warm seems to be the problem. So lets work from there. For one it could be a weak starter, or starter switch. The warm engine could be loading down the engine. It also could be due to a problem with the piston. If someone has ever taken the piston out, it could be in backwards. That would cause extra friction when hot.
got this machine 3rd hand. no idea on its history. I just know its more temper mental then a small child
Old 12-20-2010, 11:13 AM   post #8 of 17
DJ in WV
I Love All Color Tractors

MTF Member # 10462
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstrellaStables View Post
I just know its more temper mental then a small child
That seems to sum up the L's quite well.

Well, we should be able to eliminate the plug and wire. Have you checked the timing?

If not, and don't have the owner's manual, they and the parts lists and about anything else you would like is available thanks to Chip Old over at http://www.oldgravelys.net

Let us know what you get into next.

MyTractorForum.com House Rules

Looking for a Technical Exchange Article? Here's an Index!

My YouTube Page

My Equipment:

1970 Gravely C10A
1972 Gravely 816
1973 Gravely Model C8
Eight other Gravely C's, L's, and LI's
1978 Massey Ferguson 1655
1981 Troy Bilt Horse, 7HP Kohler
1982 Gravely 8123
1983 Troy Bilt Junior
1988 JD 950, 75 Loader, 8A Backhoe
DJ in WV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2010, 12:27 PM   post #9 of 17
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

If you suspect the timing as I and others do, try cranking the hot engine with the ignition turned off. If it cranks OK, you probably found the problem.
rscurtis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 PM   post #10 of 17
george_lehr
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26054

Check all the battery/cable connections, both positive and negative (including a ground path for the starter). In your first post, you described the symptoms of a bad connection in the starter circuit.

I recall a post about a sparking starter chain; apparently it was the best path to ground from the starter.

George
george_lehr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2010, 08:17 PM   post #11 of 17
Fla Don
Gravely bug bit.

MTF Member # 33720

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ in WV View Post
That seems to sum up the L's quite well.

There's tempermental and then there's tempermental. With all things the same, two Gravelys will always be different in how they start.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:31 PM   post #12 of 17
coldone
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 24068

Quote:
hello peoples!!

take it out to the field, stop it to engage the death blade, and she wont start again. if i leave it for a few hours she will start right back up, sometimes. had to tow it 1/4 mile back to the barn the other day. it drove itself out just fine. when i tried to restart her, it seemed like there was not enough battery power to get it to crank over. it would start to try then drop off and when i pushed the starter a second time i get nothing.

ideas and or other similar post i can read??
A little clarification please, do you turn it off to engage the mower then try to start it back up?
coldone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2010, 08:48 PM   post #13 of 17
EstrellaStables
MTF Member

MTF Member # 53697

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldone View Post
A little clarification please, do you turn it off to engage the mower then try to start it back up?
yes. i found that leaving it running while trying to engage the blade would cause it to stall.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 PM   post #14 of 17
Fla Don
Gravely bug bit.

MTF Member # 33720

Quote:
yes. i found that leaving it running while trying to engage the blade would cause it to stall.
That is beginning to sound like a frozen planetary. With both levers in the neutral position, you should be able to put it in gear without stalling. Or else the engine is really lacking in power. What happened if you put it in gear while cold? Have you set the valves at .015" clearance when cold?
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 09:02 PM   post #15 of 17
EstrellaStables
MTF Member

MTF Member # 53697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Don View Post
That is beginning to sound like a frozen planetary. With both levers in the neutral position, you should be able to put it in gear without stalling. Or else the engine is really lacking in power. What happened if you put it in gear while cold? Have you set the valves at .015" clearance when cold?
now that could be part of that problem. it should still restart though so there are more issues but i'm not gonna lie. never thought about putting it into neutral. been driving 5spd trucks my entire life and that never came into my mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.