Front Axle or Snow/Dozer Blade Issues? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 AM   post #1 of 29
2nd79
MTF Member

MTF Member # 50218
Default Front Axle or Snow/Dozer Blade Issues?

While I was showing off my newly mounted snow blade on my SS/18, I commented to my father that it worked pretty good, but I had a couple issues with it. (http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=164158)

We started looking at the plow and noticed that the bracket that comes down from the mule drive is pushed back, moving the angle of the pivot to something other than perpendicular to the ground. He thought that either the mule drive portion was not it the frame enough, or the arms that mount to the axle weren't right becuase something is wrong with the front axle. (It is possible that the plow brackets are just bent up from ~30 years of use)

He started crawling around the front end a little and noticed that the front wheels don't seem to have much caster, or maybe even some negative caster (the kingpin is more forward at the top, than at the bottom).

We were trying to tell if the axle or its mount in the frame had been bent some, or if the axle had maybe been out and installed backwards. Do any of you know if the front axle is directional? If so, how can I tell which way it is suposed to go? Is there an easy way to determine if anything is bent?

Any ideas?
2nd79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 09:13 AM   post #2 of 29
ray the sears man
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 42821
Default Re: Front Axle or Snow/Dozer Blade Issues?

pics are your best bet for us to help you
ray the sears man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 01:14 PM   post #3 of 29
Small Fry
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8155

The axle goes in one way. The axle brace's that are weld to the axle face to the front and at the top of the axle.

2 others things, those bracket have to be pushed all the way in the mule slot and tighten down or they will pull out. Depends on which plow you have also And the other is the the mule side slots and the plow pins that ride in them get wore and lets the bracket hang down a little. Also depends on which plow you have

I've seen the axle mount welds crack, and get broke off. It's only welded on the bottom because there is no room for weld in the mule slot. Some of them where also welded a little tipped to begin with.
Small Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 02:06 PM   post #4 of 29
2nd79
MTF Member

MTF Member # 50218

I don't know if I will be able to look at it tonight, but are you saying that the axle can or can not be installed incorrectly? I will look for any evidence of cracks, etc. around the axle mounting bracket.

Also, is there something that positively holds the mule drive in the slot? I have the original manual, but I don't remember anything that holds the mule drive in the slot. I am using generic 1/2" pins to hold the lower arms to the axle. From what I measured, 5/8" pins would have been better, but I didn't find them locally at the box store

I have the plow/dozer blade without trip springs and the parallelogram lifting mechanism with the half-round brackets bolted to the blade with the seven notches for the angle setting. The model number is 917.253360.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:04 PM   post #5 of 29
migraineman
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26161

Your axle should be mounted with the flat edges of the attachment brackets facing forward. That places the attachment holes slightly ahead of the axle centerline. My ST/16 has brackets that are symmetric front-to-back, but the reinforcing weldment on the axle is on the forward face.

migraineman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 03:23 PM   post #6 of 29
GT_80
Cranky Motorsports

MTF Member # 35886
Garage

if it is an SS or ST it can go in backwards and it will cause problems. I tried putting my mower deck on one time and even when the belt was disengaged it still spun. I pulled the deck off like 4 times till i realized when i put the axle on backwards. Spun it around, and everything was golden. It does make your attachments forward away from the tractor more when it's on backwards.

Migraine's pictures are mounted correctly
MTF Addict #35886

Tractors:
1968 Super12 "Miss Emma Lee"
1969 Suburban 12
1972 SS12- half rolling chassis
1973 SS16/ 18/6 hybrid
1976 SS16 General may be a 500,000th clone soon...
1976 SS18 Trusty

Attachments: Yes please!

My YouTubeMy Ebay

Sears Manuals
GT_80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 04:07 PM   post #7 of 29
Small Fry
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8155

I didn't want you to think it could not be put in wrong, It goes in one way that works right I should have said.

No on that blade there is nothing really that positively holds the mule drive in the slot, just those links. Not a great system, once it's wore it a sloppy deal.

The later plows had a bolt in bracket, then the plow mounted to that. They held up a lot better.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:10 AM   post #8 of 29
2nd79
MTF Member

MTF Member # 50218

I was able to take a quick look at the axle. It is installed correctly. I will have to check the axle mounts next. I also think that the plow bracket that holds the parallel arms is bent back some. Unfortunately I can only work on one thing at a time. If I just didn't have to waste that 9 hours at work every day...
Old 12-17-2010, 10:28 AM   post #9 of 29
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

2nd79,in your second picture,you are missing a link for the plow frame to front axle,a peice of flat stock goes in the hole in the plow frame,to the upper tab on the front axle,on both sides..I plowed with my tractor several times without them myself,till I saw another tractor like mine that had ALL the original bracketry!..I made some out of 1"x 1/4" thick flat stock...they help keep the plow "level" and not let it get kicked under the tractor when you hit obstructions,or are pushing heavy stuff..
Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM   post #10 of 29
Small Fry
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8155

TH your right ! But those pictures were posted by migrainman.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:11 PM   post #11 of 29
migraineman
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26161

I'm looking at the IPL from Sears, and I don't see upper brackets. The pic for my 917.251410 plow is pretty crappy. The one from the 253330 is better, and doesn't appear to have upper brackets either. The bolts on the upper pivot don't appear to be long enough to support another bracket at that location.

Item 22 "push rod" might be a z-bent piece of 5/8 rod with hairpins at each end. Might that be it (and only on the one side?)

Old 12-17-2010, 04:07 PM   post #12 of 29
2nd79
MTF Member

MTF Member # 50218

Migraneman,

The part that you seem to be missing is #22 in your drawing. It is a "C" bent rod that goes from the plow bracket to the upper hole on the right side of the axle. Yes, it is only on the right side. The lift lever is in the way on the left side.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:13 PM   post #13 of 29
69l46vert
That there's worth fixin'

MTF Member # 17151

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd79 View Post
Migraneman,

The part that you seem to be missing is #22 in your drawing. It is a "C" bent rod that goes from the plow bracket to the upper hole on the right side of the axle. Yes, it is only on the right side. The lift lever is in the way on the left side.
Same as mine, upper link rod only on the right.
69l46vert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 06:07 PM   post #14 of 29
Small Fry
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8155

MM

Here is a photo I had on the computer from last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_3020.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	134876  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 09:16 PM   post #15 of 29
migraineman
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26161

I'll have to see what I can fab as a replacement. I never would have known I was missing a brace. Thanks for the heads-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.