John Deere 165 Hydro 165 won't turn over. - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 11-29-2010, 08:09 AM   post #1 of 28
Damedor
MTF Member

MTF Member # 47043
Default John Deere 165 Hydro 165 won't turn over.

Hey guys!

New season new problem, I have the snowblower all hooked up and I thought I was all set for the winter season, I went to check on my tractor the other day and now it will not start, it doesnt even try. Turn the key no noise, no clicking, just, nothing.

I have a John Deere 165 hydro, I'm hoping that you guys can point me in the right direction in what to look for to get this thing going again, thanks for any help and happy holidays!
Damedor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 AM   post #2 of 28
littletractorguy
The Mod from... Nowhere!

MTF Member # 36339
Garage
Default Re: John Deere 165 Hydro 165 won't turn over.

If you KNOW your battery and it's connections are good, I'd be thinking the neutral start switch. Just some quick thoughts....
littletractorguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 AM   post #3 of 28
WNYTractorTinkerer
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 26264
Garage
Icon2 Re: John Deere 165 Hydro 165 won't turn over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletractorguy View Post
If you KNOW your battery and it's connections are good, I'd be thinking the neutral start switch. Just some quick thoughts....
More thoughts for you: Check the PTO.. Is it on? (Kids love playing with them!) Seat switch could also be culprit..

Can You see the Real me?
WNYTractorTinkerer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 08:41 AM   post #4 of 28
littletractorguy
The Mod from... Nowhere!

MTF Member # 36339
Garage

Thats true, PTO is another possible culprit... Basically, I'd be checking the same things I check when it won't start and I'm sitting in the seat...

1. Am I in neutral (neutral start switch)
2. PTO in the ON position (PTO switch)
3. Seat switch (okay, so you can't check that one when you're sitting in it... but the little snappy piece that holds the plug for my seat switch ON underneath the seat is busted, so I often check to make sure it hasn't come off)...

So, check for good battery and connections, then go after checking the switches. A good multimeter for doing continuity checking is your friend for that.... Its also a good idea to try to NOT do this with the battery connected (never good to be poking a meter around in places where you don't REALLY know what is what...)

Here's the wiring harness diagram for the 160/165, the neutral start switch is #21 (not that this tells you EXACLTY where to find it, but it gives you some idea of what it looks like).

Last edited by littletractorguy; 11-29-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:41 AM   post #5 of 28
Damedor
MTF Member

MTF Member # 47043

Thank you for the quick replies, the PTO is off, the tractor is in neutral. how would I check the seat switch? sorry, all this stuff is new to me.

The battery is good, the lights come on when I try them and I have had it on a trickle charger just to be sure, I was hoping that it was the battery honestly lol
Old 11-29-2010, 09:05 AM   post #6 of 28
littletractorguy
The Mod from... Nowhere!

MTF Member # 36339
Garage

Next thing I would do is flip the seat up and make sure that the seat switch harness is actually connected to the switch (the switch is mounted INSIDE the seat, the harness runs from the seat under the deck to the front of the tractor...).

If all the switches are in the right positions and things STILL don't start, then its time to start checking if the switches are functioning... Easiest one to check is the seat switch, because its easy to find AND it only has two wires connected to it... Its either ON or Off, I BELIEVE if you check it when you are IN the seat it should be ON. Again, easiest way to check is to (after CAREFULLY disconnecting the harness) have a multimeter set to test continuity (ohms)... A pair of alligator clips hooked to the meter leads will let you hook the meter to the switch without you having to hold onto the leads. Once you have it connected that way, you can simulate sitting in the seat by pushing on the seat, or if you have long enough leans, sitting on the seat and reading the meter. Again, I BELIEVE the seat switch is ON (reads 0 ohms on your meter) when you are SITTING in the seat and Off when you are not (reads No connection)... However, what it reads is immaterial, really, as LONG as it changes when you get on and off the seat... If it doesn't, you have a bad switch....
Old 11-29-2010, 12:02 PM   post #7 of 28
Damedor
MTF Member

MTF Member # 47043

Thanks for the guidance, I will stop by radio shack on my way home for a multimeter and check out those switches, I'll keep you guys posted on how it turns out.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:15 PM   post #8 of 28
ChrisW
1989 Model 265

MTF Member # 47734

Just pull your plug wire off temporarily so she won't actually start, then pull the wires off the seat switch, short them together with an alligator clip or piece of wire and see if she turns over.

If she turns over, then your switch is bad and you can easily replace.
No need for a multimeter in my view (although they are handy for many things)
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 PM   post #9 of 28
WNYTractorTinkerer
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 26264
Garage
Icon2 Re: John Deere 165 Hydro 165 won't turn over.

Go to your local Auto parts store or HF and buy a 12v test light and trace/test the start circuit.. Start @ the key switch (hook the lite to a good ground test it on the battery positive) and test for the terminal that gets positive power only when the key is turned to start.. Trace that wire to the next switch (use LTG's schematic too) and test for start power at / past each switch to find your trouble..

PS-- Here's a thread about start systems as they are all virtually the same:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=125043

Can You see the Real me?
WNYTractorTinkerer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 02:20 PM   post #10 of 28
Freefall_Doug
MTF Member

MTF Member # 43654

Mine did a no start on me yesterday after mulching leaves for an hour or two. Nothing when I turned the key.

I used a battery charger that has jumping amps to see if it was a dead battery, and that was fine, still no crank. So I took a length of wire, jammed it in the positive terminal of the battery, pulled the terminal off the starter solenoid, and jumped the starter solenoid directly while turning the key to start.

It worked instantly, so I obviously have a starter wiring problem. Something to diagnose, but for now a length of wire was a way easier fix.
Freefall_Doug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 02:31 PM   post #11 of 28
littletractorguy
The Mod from... Nowhere!

MTF Member # 36339
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
Just pull your plug wire off temporarily so she won't actually start, then pull the wires off the seat switch, short them together with an alligator clip or piece of wire and see if she turns over.

If she turns over, then your switch is bad and you can easily replace.
No need for a multimeter in my view (although they are handy for many things)
Ya, sorry, I always leap to the multimeter because I already HAVE one (well, two, act- no, three!) already so sometimes I just assume people HAVE one! Jumping the switch leads TEMPORARILY would work for the seat switch.... Don't think I'd do any more complicated testing (of say, the ignition switch) without a meter.... Haven't ever DUG for my neutral start switch, 'cause IT still works...
Old 11-29-2010, 04:10 PM   post #12 of 28
Damedor
MTF Member

MTF Member # 47043

Well I pulled the wire's out of the seat switch and twisted them together and still no change, could my battery not be strong enough to start in the cold even if it is topped off, the label only says 145 CCA. I was hoping that seat switch trick would work lol.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:45 PM   post #13 of 28
littletractorguy
The Mod from... Nowhere!

MTF Member # 36339
Garage

K, so you've ruled out the seat switch then. COULD be your battery... Freefall Doug's suggestion of bypassing the solenoid to see if its a starter solenoid problem MIGHT be the next step... I'm always a bit nervous about it, as it generally produces some sparks when you do it... I usually use a booster cable for doing that... If the engine doesn't turn over when you bypass the solenoid, then you know a BIT more. If it DOES, then you know a LOT more...

If it turns over, you know:
1. Your starter solenoid MIGHT be bad or jammed (GENTLE tapping sometimes helps, I hear)
2. Your battery is still at least capable of turning the engine over
3. Its shouldn't be a problem with your PTO switch or your seat switch

If it DOESN'T, you know:

0. You still have a problem!
1. You need to check your battery
2. You need to check the other, harder to find/check switches
Old 11-29-2010, 05:53 PM   post #14 of 28
Damedor
MTF Member

MTF Member # 47043

ok, what exactly do I need to do, I'm not sure exactly what those parts look like. I'm definitely willing to try this though, sorry for my newbie questions I really am, you guys are great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 PM   post #15 of 28
KATT
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 34056

HEY !! You have overlooked one other safety switch on Hydros, the one on for the brake pedal,
On TOY you had to push way down on the brake to engage it and on Rusty it was .... well...... Rusty.. and made no contact till i replaced it.
" 09 " X520 with 48" Deck, #44 Snow Blower, Weather Enclosure, Wheel Weights, Chains, drift cutter, Brush Guard, #36 Tow Behind Spreader, Single bucket holder, #7 #80 and #50 Trailers,
Previous JD's
"86' 318 #44 Front End Loader, #49 Snow Blower. TY15380 Hard Cab, Wheel weights Chains Weight box ( 6 suitcases ) "99"LX279 Liquid Cooled /48"Deck."87"SX95 / Rear Bagger, 165 Hydro, STX38, LX188. Toy a 175 Hydro #38 snow blower #38 mower deck
and of course

"87" JD 175
- Rusty -
KATT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.