Installing front mount snow-blower on B7100 Kubota. My odyssey - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 11-28-2010, 12:44 PM   post #1 of 62
ken erickson
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 51619
Default Installing front mount snow-blower on B7100 Kubota. My odyssey

I know everyone enjoys pictures and thought I would photo document installing a b2650 snow-blower on my B7100. Mods, if you feel this should be in the cuts implement sub forum feel free to move.

A bit of info before the pictures. A implement dealer 100 miles to the south had listed this blower, and after getting pictures from my Brother-in-law I decided to drive down and purchase it. The caveat to this is the blower came off of a B7500, year unknown, and I have a B7100 1997. My machine does have a mid-mount pto so I am good to go in that respect.

Here is the bad.

I did not get the control valve, or the mounts that mount the sub-frame to the mid mounting points on the tractor. These will need to be purchased or fabricated.

I have a few questions that perhaps a member could help out on.

1. The front of the frame on my tractor has threaded holes and the sub-frame holes match the spacing but are larger diameter and had bolts , nuts, washers and lock washers apparently bolting it to the front of the B7500. Should I drill out the threaded holes in the front of the frame of my tractor, or should I find the right bolts ,even if too small for the hole in the sub-frame?

2. Does anyone have a picture of this sub-frame mount showing the brackets attaching it to the mid mounting point on the tractor.

3. I assume what I need is a directional return to center single spool valve? Does anyone know what the relief pressure should be set at?

Well here are the pictures so far. Thanks for looking and any comments more than welcome!

I think this set of pictures is pretty self-explanatory, however please ask if questions arise.

Ken
ken erickson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 02:01 PM   post #2 of 62
hodge
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 52532
Default Re: Installing front mount snow-blower on B7100 Kubota. My odyssey

I don't have any advise or help to give, but wow! That is a nice looking blower- it should be well worth the effort to get it on there!
Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
hodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 05:58 PM   post #3 of 62
AStanton
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 50576

Once you get that puppy installed, you'll be able to get out and go ice fishing for those walleyes.
AStanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 08:52 PM   post #4 of 62
Volfandt
Machinery enthusiast

MTF Member # 164

Ken, I'd just find and use the bolts and lockwashers that'll fit the your threaded frame. Thats probably where the OEM blower bolted so it should be GTG for this other one.

re control valve, you might try some Kubota dealers and/or one of these tractor salvage yards: http://www.wkytp.com/ for an FEL control valve and plumbing.
You might also try www.tractorsmart.com to see if they have a parts manual for the needed parts and snowblower. They may even have the parts. www.messicks.com may also.

I don't have any experience w/blowers at all, don't have much need for them down my way so I'm of no help.
Good luck
Dave

1966 Wheel Horse 856, Gear.
1966 Wheel Horse 876, HST.
w/50" sicklebar mower, 36" rotary mower, snow blade, alternator/welder.
http://mytractorforum.com/showthread...hlight=856,876

The USMC, providing the enemies of the USA the opportunity to die for their country since 1775.
Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 08:56 PM   post #5 of 62
ken erickson
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 51619

Dave,
Thanks for the links and suggestions. I do have an email in with Messicks requesting the .pdf manual for the blower and the sub-frame. Hopefully by Tues. or Wed. My local farm supply sells control valves but I am a bit at a loss as to know what the specs should be for it. Things like, GPH, relief valve setting, etc.

This afternoon I started to take care of some of the details. I removed the brackets for the MMM and will get the frame prepped for paint. No sense not painting this area before I put the new brackets on.

I also ran into some trouble with the pto shafts and the mid point bearing carrier. This unit sat outside in the back lot of this implement dealer , un-covered. I greased and lubed all the splines, both male and female. I went to push the one shaft on and got it stuck halfway. Not able to budge it back off. I ended up having to take the one u-joint apart and use my gear puller on the yoke. What a pain! Nothing to really hang on to or clamp in a vise. After cleaning all the rust off the splines as best I could and then taking my time, working the yokes on a bit at time I have them all working slick now.

I hope to layout the brackets tomorrow and get them band-sawed out and holes punched.

Last edited by ken erickson; 11-28-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:47 PM   post #6 of 62
alfred d
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 48049

newb dumb question
If this B2650 came off of a B7500, does that mean that if I could find a used B2650 blower it would fit onto my B7500 without any mods? Winter is coming, and I hate to go looking for the wrong blower and then end up needing to cut and fabricate to make it fit.
Alfred
alfred d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 PM   post #7 of 62
ken erickson
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 51619

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred d View Post
newb dumb question
If this B2650 came off of a B7500, does that mean that if I could find a used B2650 blower it would fit onto my B7500 without any mods?
Alfred
Alfred,

I think the key is finding a B2650 with the correct mounting kit. I have had a hard time finding any reliable information showing what part numbers or model numbers are associated with a certain mounting kit. I am pretty sure that when a new tractor was purchased and the customer wanted a snowblower the dealership would look in his book and order the B2650 and then the correct mounting kit. I am sure the B2650 blower was used on many different b series tractors.

I had a chance to work on the install today. Things going well. I painted the sub-frame, a few places on the tractor frame. I did go with the bolts threaded for the front of the tractor. 10mm x 1.25. My farm supply store did not have them, I ended up at the New Holland dealer. We do not have a Kubota dealer in town. I have all the pto shafts on and in place. My next step tomorrow will be to fabricate the mounts from the sub-frame to the mid mounting pads on the tractor.

New Kubota dark gray paint

Here is a picture of the mount, looks like it was made for it!

Here is the area were I will be fabricating the brackets

All most ready to say "let it snow" !!

Last edited by ken erickson; 11-29-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM   post #8 of 62
wills670
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36278

Looks nice.....
wills670 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 03:38 PM   post #9 of 62
ken erickson
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 51619

I made it to my local steel supplier and purchased the steel to fabricate the brackets from the sub-frame to the mid-point mounting pads on the tractor.

Everything is 1/4" stock except for the square tubing which is 1 1/2x1 1/2x1/8

This piece is bolted on temporarily. I will bolt the 2" wide piece on the sub-frame, then fit the square tubing in between and tack weld.

This is one of the two brackets painted.

Both brackets are painted and on. Everything seems solid as a rock.

After getting the brackets on and all the bolts tightened I had a chance to fire the tractor up and run the blower. Quiet , no vibrations out of the ordinary. The next step will be for me to purchase a control valve and fabricate the arm to hold it along with the chute adjustment crank. Getting close now, maybe one or two more days.

Ken

Last edited by ken erickson; 11-30-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 PM   post #10 of 62
Jay H
Custom User Title

MTF Member # 45630

Ken,

This is awesome progress. You just picked this thing up 3 days ago!

Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 PM   post #11 of 62
ken erickson
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 51619

Well there is a fly in the ointment! I purchased the control valve today, came back and started looking things over. When I pulled what Kubota calls a "hydraulic block" apart to see what type of hydraulic fittings would be required to hook the lines from this block to the "in" and "out" on the valve I discovered I am missing a part. I have to replace the top cover with one from Kubota that has the holes and threads. Ed from Messick's was very helpful and I should have the part on its way tomorrow.

I did make the bracket for the valve. I could have just welded it on the bracket for the sub-frame. I opted to make it a separate bracket , independent of the sub-frame. This way if I want to convert my back blade to a hydraulic turn I already have a valve ready to go. I am sure this spring I will take the sub-frame off for the snow-blower. I will wait to paint the controller until I get it plumbed in and working right. I kind of like how the throttle lever and the controller lever for the blower almost match and sit about the same. It does not look like it in the pictures but there is ample clearance for the brake pedals to be full depressed.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:48 AM   post #12 of 62
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37

Your doing a very good job of it. I'm looking forward to seeing a video of it in action. slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM   post #13 of 62
Volfandt
Machinery enthusiast

MTF Member # 164

Ken, you do good work. Looks very nice.
Hydraulics can be simple yet complex. Do it right and it's simple, works good and lasts a long time. "Rig" them up and well, they can be a huge headache. Looks like you're doing it right.
When you get into the connections on the the new hydraulic block be sure and post lots of pics as we get a huge volume of DIY'ers wanting to add hydraulics to these fine older work horses and they will no doubt refer to your craftmanship. (no pressure entended )
Dave

1966 Wheel Horse 856, Gear.
1966 Wheel Horse 876, HST.
w/50" sicklebar mower, 36" rotary mower, snow blade, alternator/welder.
http://mytractorforum.com/showthread...hlight=856,876

The USMC, providing the enemies of the USA the opportunity to die for their country since 1775.
Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM   post #14 of 62
ken erickson
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 51619

I was out in the shop today when the UPS driver pulled in and delivered the Kubota part I needed. Here are a few pictures of it.

Kubota calls this a diverter block. As you can see this mates up with the half that is brazed in-line with the high pressure line from the pump.

As soon as it showed up I took it, along with the valve and hoses, to my local implement dealer. We spent about an hour figuring out the fittings and having two hoses made up to length. It took me about two hours to screw all the fittings in using hydraulic pipe thread sealant.

I fired up the tractor and to my delight everything works as it should. I had one fitting leak and had to re-seal it and really tighten it before the leak stopped. I have to tidy up the hoses and more securely mount the eye bolt/fixture that holds the chute crank. I will take more pictures showing the hose routing and fittings tomorrow. The up and down motion is smooth, easy to control. With the down force I will not have to worry about jacking up the front to change a tire, lifts the front wheels off the ground like nothing.

For my first ever hydraulic project I am, for the most part, really happy.

Ken

Last edited by ken erickson; 12-06-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 PM   post #15 of 62
Farmer Simon
MTF Member

MTF Member # 52063

That's a champion build Ken. Next I want to see you build a FEL for it
Well done.
Farmer Simon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.