Getting flywheel off an 18.5 HP I/C Briggs & Stratton engine - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 11-26-2010, 05:32 PM   post #1 of 24
jbeall
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39367
Default Getting flywheel off an 18.5 HP I/C Briggs & Stratton engine

Hi All,

I've got a Murray GT with a Briggs & Stratton 18.5 HP engine, model 42A707, type 2653 E. The gear on the starter motor that drives the flywheel has gone bad. It's just plastic and the teeth have all broken off or worn down.

I got the replacement parts but I can't get them on without taking the flywheel off, because of the way it's all put together. I got all the nuts loosened that I could see, including the big main one that holds it onto the crankshaft. But it seems frozen on the shaft--I can't get it off. I can lift up on it and it feels like the entire shaft (frozen to the flywheel) moves up a tiny fraction of an inch, and that's it.

I'm probably going to take it to a local shop tomorrow and see if they can get it off with a flywheel puller... unless anybody here has other suggestions on how I might tackle this myself :-)

Thanks!

-Josh
jbeall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 06:53 PM   post #2 of 24
engine2quarters
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 24003
Default Re: Getting flywheel off an 18.5 HP I/C Briggs & Stratton engine

Huh?

My starter is bolted to the side of the engine, easy removal. Plastic starter gear rides on the outside of the flywheel. When the starter comes off, don't need to remove the flywheel. Then remove the pin, take off the stripped gear, put new one on, insert pin, reinstall starter. You're golden.

Unless I'm missing sometin'.
engine2quarters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 07:00 PM   post #3 of 24
ben2go
MTF New Poster

MTF Member # 11920

This will help.http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=152946
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 08:09 PM   post #4 of 24
jbeall
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39367

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine2quarters View Post
Huh?

My starter is bolted to the side of the engine, easy removal. Plastic starter gear rides on the outside of the flywheel. When the starter comes off, don't need to remove the flywheel. Then remove the pin, take off the stripped gear, put new one on, insert pin, reinstall starter. You're golden.

Unless I'm missing sometin'.
On my engine, one of the bolts that holds the starter on is obstructed by the flywheel. You can't take the bolt out without first removing the flywheel.

Believe me, I have lamented over this considerably; it would have been all so easy if it wasn't designed like this!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:21 PM   post #5 of 24
RAMJET
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 34993

I have taken many of those starters off with the flywheel still in place. Use an open end wrench and a little patience and it will work.
Roger

2 Sears SS16

WH Charger 12

WH B115

JD 240

Massey MF12G
RAMJET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 08:30 PM   post #6 of 24
jbeall
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39367

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
I have taken many of those starters off with the flywheel still in place. Use an open end wrench and a little patience and it will work.
Roger
I'll have to get some pictures to show you--it would not be physically possible to remove the final bolt holding the starter in place unless you cut it into 1/2" pieces. Here's an attempt at a diagram:

Code:
XXXXXXXXX (this is the flywheel)
     ---        (this is the bolt head)
      |          (this where the bolt threads travel)
      |
      |

There is about 3/4" clearance between the bolt head and the flywheel. It has to travel up to be removed, and the bolt is about three inches long.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:25 PM   post #7 of 24
Walt 2002
Senior MTF Poster

MTF Member # 1229

Unless someone has put the wrong bolt in, which I doubt very much, the starter bolts can be removed without removing the flywheel as said above. Use a 1/2" open end wrench, TURN the flywheel until there is a recess under the flywheel which permits the bolt to come up and out. You need a B&S or B&S type puller to get that flywheel off without damaging it AND it needs to be torqued to 150 ft lbs when putting it back on. This IS NOT necessary unless the wrong bolt has been installed.

I have rebuilt dozens of these engines, removed and replaced dozens of these engines.

Walt Conner

"it would not be physically possible to remove the final bolt holding the starter in place unless you cut it into 1/2" pieces"

Pretty broad statement for someone asking advice.
Walt 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 09:32 PM   post #8 of 24
jbeall
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt 2002 View Post
Unless someone has put the wrong bolt in, which I doubt very much, the starter bolts can be removed without removing the flywheel as said above. Use a 1/2" open end wrench, TURN the flywheel until there is a recess under the flywheel which permits the bolt to come up and out. You need a B&S or B&S type puller to get that flywheel off without damaging it AND it needs to be torqued to 150 ft lbs when putting it back on.

"it would not be physically possible to remove the final bolt holding the starter in place unless you cut it into 1/2" pieces"

Interesting--I'll give it a second look tomorrow morning. I was basing my statement mostly on the exploded parts diagram which doesn't show a recess or anything in the flywheel, and I didn't notice it when I was messing with the engine. The exploded parts diagram also shows a long (3"?) bolt, not a short one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt 2002 View Post

I should have said "I can't see how it would be physically possible." And, I certainly hope I'm wrong!
Old 11-26-2010, 09:45 PM   post #9 of 24
APPALACHIAN EDGE
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 51473

My two cents! Your flywheel should be made like a hubcap with a lip about 3/4 in thickness all the way around ! The bolt your talking about can be removed (if its the original b&s bolt) with an open end wrench! The bolt will just clear the inside of the lip & then working about a half a turn at a time if that much, the bolt should back out till it almost touches the inside top of the flywheel ! In some cases it still feels like its still got a ways to go but like walt said given its the correct bolt used & you remove the easy one first & you shouldnt have to remove the flywheel
Old 11-26-2010, 09:56 PM   post #10 of 24
jbeall
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39367

Thanks for the tips, guys. I can go to bed tonight with a little hope that I'll be able to resolve this myself tomorrow. I had just about given up on this one. :-)
Old 11-26-2010, 09:57 PM   post #11 of 24
jbeall
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39367

I love your signature, Appalachian Edge :-)
Old 11-27-2010, 01:02 AM   post #12 of 24
JJ-IA
MTF Member

MTF Member # 45296

Took a couple pictures when I had the flywheel off our 18hp ic last spring. Wasn't working on the starter at the time, but after looking at the pictures I'd take the flywheel off before fighting those bolts with it on...
hope this helps.
Jim

Latest Project, Cub Cadet 1864 - 54" Deck - 45" Snowblower
JJ-IA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 01:48 AM   post #13 of 24
john9001
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45837

B&S makes a nice flywheel puller for their engines, makes removing the flywheel easy.
john9001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 AM   post #14 of 24
jbeall
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39367

Victory! I am happy to report that I was wrong. The flywheel has a recess that allows just enough space to get the bolt out--exactly like several here described.

However, once I got the starter motor off and the new parts on, I couldn't get the snap-ring in place that holds it all together. After several failed attempts and thinking I'd lost the snap-ring forever when it went flying the last time, I called the shop where I got the parts from. He had the tool to pound the snap-ring on and said to come on by. He put it on for me at no charge; it took him longer to find the tool than it did to put the snap-ring on :-)

So, I got home, put it all back together, and now she's working again. Thanks to everyone for your help!

-Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 12:31 PM   post #15 of 24
APPALACHIAN EDGE
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 51473

thats great & hope us guys helped out ! for future concideration you might try a small 12 point socket & a hammer to tap ring back on ! it usualy works for me !Glad you got it fixed
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.