Gravely cultivator tool holder - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 11-09-2010, 11:59 PM   post #1 of 37
Richard-tx
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 51208
Default Gravely cultivator tool holder

My father was a Gravely guy for many years and did a fair amount of vegetable gardening. He never owned the cultivator tool holder like the one pictured above. He did have the rotary plow and powered cultivator though. Is the tool holder actually useful in a significant way for vegetable gardening or did it die due to the rotary cultivator's emergence?
Richard-tx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 03:57 AM   post #2 of 37
deerecharles
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35519
Default Re: Gravely cultivator tool holder

I use mine with the hiller attachments to hill my potatoes as they grow. It works great. A lot of times I put a furrower in the center of the left and right hillers to kick dirt from the middle to them. I also use the furrower alone to make rows for planting. It saves me a lot of work in the potatoes.

deerecharles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 06:39 AM   post #3 of 37
DJ in WV
I Love All Color Tractors

MTF Member # 10462
Garage

I have one but have never used it. I've also heard several people echo what Charles said about the potatoes. I've just never taken the opportunity to set it up and try it.

MyTractorForum.com House Rules

Looking for a Technical Exchange Article? Here's an Index!

My YouTube Page

My Equipment:

1970 Gravely C10A
1972 Gravely 816
1973 Gravely Model C8
Eight other Gravely C's, L's, and LI's
1978 Massey Ferguson 1655
1981 Troy Bilt Horse, 7HP Kohler
1982 Gravely 8123
1983 Troy Bilt Junior
1988 JD 950, 75 Loader, 8A Backhoe
DJ in WV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 06:39 AM   post #4 of 37
Fla Don
Gravely bug bit.

MTF Member # 33720

Better than a push plow for scratching weeds.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:28 AM   post #5 of 37
NBS
Banned

MTF Member # 33656

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerecharles View Post
I use mine with the hiller attachments to hill my potatoes as they grow. It works great. A lot of times I put a furrower in the center of the left and right hillers to kick dirt from the middle to them. I also use the furrower alone to make rows for planting. It saves me a lot of work in the potatoes.
In addition to the liability lawyers nixing all of the neat attachments for the classical Gravely [like the circular saw and the chain saw], I think that the rise of "jobs that 'Americans' won't do" [or at least the mentality of "jobs that 'Americans' won't do"] had a huge impact which helped lead to the demise of the classical Gravely tractor.

How many "Americans" nowadays even bother to grow their own vegetables anymore?

Although, if Bernanke keeps inflating the currency, the old Victory Gardens might soon reappear with a vengeance...

[PS: "Americans" is in quotes because I don't want to be called a racist.]
NBS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 01:28 PM   post #6 of 37
Loremaster72
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 25731

My Grandad used to use one to prep rows for planting, and I believe for tilling between rows and even over very small plants. He had a big chunk of railroad rail he would pin to the top as a weight. I have the attachment but don't use it because my garden is much smaller and my rows are closer together. As a tool, it will be limited by the weight (and tractive capacity) of the Gravely. It probably won't work well at breaking sod, but will work in cultivating an already turned bed

NBS, I second what you said. In a recent two wheeler forum I said it seems like we "safety" ourselves out of a lot of good, usable equipment. I've always thought there should only be one warning decal on a machine: "Stupidity = Pain". Frills and fancy features are nice, but add cost, complexity, and maintenance headaches. There are times you want a cushy Cadillac, and times you want a Mack Truck.

Current Machines:
1979 Gravely 5265 Commercial
1990 Gravely 16G Professional
1973 Sears SS16 Twin
Loremaster72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 02:12 PM   post #7 of 37
tinsley207
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 30562

I have just picked up a tool holder with cultivators and I can't wait to use it! I will be using it to "cultivate" between corn rows. Cultivate is an old farming term that could better be described as WEEDING! Farmers of yesteryear would look at that thing and know EXACTLY what to do with it! They might have used horses to pull a two row cultivator through a corn field 100 years ago. Their cultivators would have looked more like the "sweeps" that were made for the gravely tool holder but the idea is the same: Scrape the weeds up between the rows CONSTANTLY so they can't ever really get going compete with the crops. The rotary cultivator essentially does the same thing but I'm really excited to try this older method! I'll post some video of it on youtube when I get there!

And yes, I have a HUGE garden and I try to grow as much of the food my little family consumes as possible! The corn is actually for my 6 chickens! It's a dry field corn!

Nate
tinsley207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 03:36 PM   post #8 of 37
Richard-tx
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 51208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loremaster72 View Post
it seems like we "safety" ourselves out of a lot of good, usable equipment.
There is some truth to that. Put another way, there are some people that should not own a power tool or a lawn mower.

Personally, I have come to appreciate the older well made tools and equipment. One day I am going to put a circular saw on the 5665 and make a video. It should be impressive.

Keep you pets and children inside.

Back to the tool holder. I think that for what I am going to do, the rotary cultivator is all I need. I don't know anything about potatoes. I barely know anything about growing things like green beans, radishes, lettuce and tomatoes either but it can't be that hard. I feel I am biting off a big enough chunk already.

Richard - horticulturist in training.

Last edited by Richard-tx; 11-10-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:14 PM   post #9 of 37
deerecharles
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35519

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsley207 View Post
I have just picked up a tool holder with cultivators and I can't wait to use it! I will be using it to "cultivate" between corn rows. Cultivate is an old farming term that could better be described as WEEDING! Farmers of yesteryear would look at that thing and know EXACTLY what to do with it! They might have used horses to pull a two row cultivator through a corn field 100 years ago. Their cultivators would have looked more like the "sweeps" that were made for the gravely tool holder but the idea is the same: Scrape the weeds up between the rows CONSTANTLY so they can't ever really get going compete with the crops. The rotary cultivator essentially does the same thing but I'm really excited to try this older method! I'll post some video of it on youtube when I get there!

Nate
The old style rotary cultivator works great for me for controling weeds. However, the toolbar cultivator set up properly might do well also. A rotary type stirs up the ground more which causes more weeds to germinate. I would like to try the old sweep and hoes setup like you see in the Gravely manuals. I think it would do the job of weeding with less soil disturbance than a rotary cultivator. I have yet to find a sweep/hoes setup for sale.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 PM   post #10 of 37
PA RedRider

MTF Member # 32057

I have one and have tried it a couple times but find it to be useless for cultivating due to the lack of front weight and thus depth. I think it could be a useful attachment for potatoes with a couple of hillers and a furrower, but I do not yet have those accessories for it (hard to find). Because it is adjustable, it is more forgiving from a row width standpoint than the rotary cultivator is going to be (> 24") with less risk of really damaging your roots. To me, I'd almost rather have a pull-type attachment than a push type for this function. Used grass clippings this year to keep weeds down.

----
Looking for a home for:
- Fan belt for a 6.6/7.6
- Seat pan support brackets for a G-series
- Axle bearing retainers for a G-series
- Tapered axle wheel hubs
- 5665 2-wheeler
- Case 155 w/attachments

Looking for:
- Side shields for a rotary cultivator
- Steering brake kit for a 5000 series
- G-series lift assist kit
PA RedRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 PM   post #11 of 37
coldone

MTF Member # 24068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loremaster72 View Post
Stupidity = Pain
One memorable quote that my drill sargent used and has stuck with me for years.

"If your going to be stupid, you'd better be tough"
coldone is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 PM   post #12 of 37
deerecharles
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35519

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlv9 View Post
I have one and have tried it a couple times but find it to be useless for cultivating due to the lack of front weight and thus depth. I think it could be a useful attachment for potatoes with a couple of hillers and a furrower, but I do not yet have those accessories for it (hard to find). Because it is adjustable, it is more forgiving from a row width standpoint than the rotary cultivator is going to be (> 24") with less risk of really damaging your roots. To me, I'd almost rather have a pull-type attachment than a push type for this function. Used grass clippings this year to keep weeds down.
I forgot to mention the piece of railroad iron attached to the top of mine. It solves the weight problem. Charles

Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 PM   post #13 of 37
PA RedRider

MTF Member # 32057

Are you also able to use your furrower for potato harvest or does it not run deep enough?

----
Looking for a home for:
- Fan belt for a 6.6/7.6
- Seat pan support brackets for a G-series
- Axle bearing retainers for a G-series
- Tapered axle wheel hubs
- 5665 2-wheeler
- Case 155 w/attachments

Looking for:
- Side shields for a rotary cultivator
- Steering brake kit for a 5000 series
- G-series lift assist kit
PA RedRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 10:33 PM   post #14 of 37
kentucky wildcat

MTF Member # 49775

A note as to the advantages of cultivating beyond weed control; tilled ground loses less moisture to evaporation. It seem counter intuitive, one might think the tilled soil would lose more moisture but tilling break the capillary movement of moisture to the surface. Even a light tilling will conserve moisture during dry weather.
kentucky wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 11:04 PM   post #15 of 37
Richard-tx
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 51208

I always figured that broken up ground would have a tendency to hold more water than hard packed ground, Around here the ground can be almost as hard as a rock. A rock doesn't hold much water at all. Then again, what do I know? Not a lot.

Last edited by Richard-tx; 11-10-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.