What is the best metal primer ? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 11-03-2010, 06:26 PM   post #1 of 19
evo803
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39797
Default What is the best metal primer ?

I am looking for a primer that will keep the rust a bay while I am working on it and using it this winter . I do not want to finish paint because I know I will be modifying and tweaking it after I use it for a while. So what is the best primer to use ? I have a small paint booth and a compressed air Binks HVLP gun and pressure pot for application.

Do I have to remove all the mill scale or just sanding with DA and 80 grit be fine ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 07:32 PM   post #2 of 19
mikeemc
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 23330
Default Re: What is the best metal primer ?

Sikkens , restoration primer , epoxy base. looks green to the color.
mikeemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 07:48 PM   post #3 of 19
badbascom
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 22385

Im a firm believer in PPG's DPLF series. I have tried Duponts Veraprime self etching primer and had it peel off the metal. Im sure I did something wrong application wise but I have never had any issue with PPG DP and it is very very tough. Its somewhat expensive so maybe the Sikkens mentioned above would be a cheaper alternative but overall I would say use an epoxy primer.

As far as prep, grit blast is best but your 80-240 DA will be OK, then use the PPG metal treatment and conditioner if you want to go the extra mile. The first bottle is purple and will remove most surface rust. The second bottle which is yellow will eat some rust and leave a phosphorous residue which I understand is good for paint adhesion. BTW, after you rinse the purple off you will not be able to avoid a serious surface rust residue. To avoid that I spray the yellow on after the purple sits awhile, rinse and then repeat the yellow. You will still get some light surface rust residue but I dont think its anything to worry about, it will not grow and pop the paint off like some internet jockeys will have you to believe. Also after using these treatments you are assure there are no silicones or other contaminates waiting to ruin your work.
Craftsman Rake
Custom Soil Pulverizer

Last edited by badbascom; 11-03-2010 at 07:55 PM.
badbascom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 11:21 AM   post #4 of 19
JRJ
The owners manual

MTF Member # 28174

You might want to give Naval Jelly a look, not a primer but is suppose to stop the rust, and the price if right.

Dick
JRJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 11:36 AM   post #5 of 19
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I was always led to beleive primers do not seal the metal from moisture,and it was always best to topcoat it with a gloss paint for maximun protection,even if it was only going to be "temporary" and sanded off later when the final top coat was applied..--however,I haven't been around auto paints for a good 15 years,and I'm sure they probably have some type of primer that does not need to be topcoated right away that uses hardener....

Naval Jelly is just phosphoric acid,that helps neutralize and remove rust,but it doesn't offer much protection against re-rusting..a rust converter coating like Permatex/Duro "Extend" or Rustoleum's "Rust Reformer" and "Neutra-Rust" will turn rust into a black primer that wont re-rust for quite some time though..
Old 11-06-2010, 01:08 PM   post #6 of 19
Brett-JDX748
Has anyone seen ChimChim?

MTF Member # 1790

Best metal primer.... POR15

POR-15 is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. It dries to an incredible rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from recurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture.

Use it to coat rusty frames, floor pans, farm equipment, marine equipment, or even a heavily corroded battery tray.

POR-15 is sensitive to UV light (sun) and must be topcoated for prolonged exposure to sunlight.
Topcoating is not required for areas not exposed to sunlight.

Pint............ $29.95
Quart......... $44.95
Gallon........ $143.00

http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/

That knockin, ain't a loose rod, Son!
Photos

Former Fleet:
2009 Craftsman GTS5000 Excellerator - Sold
Photos

2006 John Deere 3320, FEL, Backhoe, 62 MMM - Sold
Photos

2005 Cub Cadet 6284D FEL, Backhoe , 70" rear finish mower - Bought back, LEMON
Photos
Brett-JDX748 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 01:21 PM   post #7 of 19
antiqueetc

MTF Member # 4758

Any good epoxy primer will work to seal and protect the metal. All will need to be lightly sanded before top coats if not painted within their recoat window.

I like Kirker, because it works, it is inexpensive (as 2 part paints go) and easy an easy to mix/measure 1-1 mix. And, it sands much better than any other I've tried. Won't sand well in the first week or so, but after curing for 5-7 days it will not clog the sandpaper. It can also be thinned about 10% to use as a sealer =.
antiqueetc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 03:29 PM   post #8 of 19
helixhippie
I have G.A.S.

MTF Member # 23839

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett-JDX748 View Post
Best metal primer.... POR15

POR-15 is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. It dries to an incredible rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from recurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture.
POR Stands for Pour Over Rust. It's amazing in that application. I've heard it's not intended for fresh steel like the awesome machine that evo803 is building.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:16 PM   post #9 of 19
69l46vert
That there's worth fixin'

MTF Member # 17151

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiqueetc View Post
Any good epoxy primer will work to seal and protect the metal. All will need to be lightly sanded before top coats if not painted within their recoat window.

I like Kirker, because it works, it is inexpensive (as 2 part paints go) and easy an easy to mix/measure 1-1 mix. And, it sands much better than any other I've tried. Won't sand well in the first week or so, but after curing for 5-7 days it will not clog the sandpaper. It can also be thinned about 10% to use as a sealer =.
I think the epoxies are superior. Lots of good one out there.
2nd the kirker. 80$ for 2 sprayable gallons, 1 to 1, super tuff, dries fast. IMO perfect for these tractors or even refinshing automobiles. It'll hold most anything down. I used it on my 69 corvette and am very happy with the result. Other brands may be better and there'll be lots and lots of argument. but I love the stuff. If you need something protected then it's a good way to go without breaking the bank. Once it's dry for a while just try and scrape it off. Rick
69l46vert is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 05:31 PM   post #10 of 19
evo803
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39797

Thanks for all the responses I am thinking I might just spray bomb it to limit rusting this winter and then when all the tweaking is done I will do it right with a epoxy primer and a nice topcoat.

I have another question what is the best way to get of mill scale ?

I am assuming that it should all be down to bare clean metal for the best possible paint job.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:15 PM   post #11 of 19
badbascom
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 22385

Spray it with muriatic acid, get the cheap stuff from TSC or Lowes.
Craftsman Rake
Custom Soil Pulverizer
badbascom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 07:17 PM   post #12 of 19
blown67
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36477

If basic protection from surface rust is all your going for I have to recommend Rustoleum rusty metal primer, cheap, hardly every runs and can topcoat right over it if you so decide.
blown67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 07:51 PM   post #13 of 19
okieduc104
dirtgeezer

MTF Member # 7177

Quote:
Originally Posted by helixhippie View Post
POR Stands for Pour Over Rust. It's amazing in that application. I've heard it's not intended for fresh steel like the awesome machine that evo803 is building.
No! no! it is PAINT over Rust and it isn't really a primer. when you get POR on a surface and it dries it is on there till it is ground off! It works on frames etc that you don't want to sandblast, just scrape off the scaley rust and paint over the rust, it converts rust to a durable material, it isn't made to paint over with ordinary paint materials.

Get primer from an auto paint dealer with a sealer added to protect the metal from rusting for a short time.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:01 PM   post #14 of 19
Brett-JDX748
Has anyone seen ChimChim?

MTF Member # 1790

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieduc104 View Post
No! no! it is PAINT over Rust and it isn't really a primer. when you get POR on a surface and it dries it is on there till it is ground off! It works on frames etc that you don't want to sandblast, just scrape off the scaley rust and paint over the rust, it converts rust to a durable material, it isn't made to paint over with ordinary paint materials.

Get primer from an auto paint dealer with a sealer added to protect the metal from rusting for a short time.

From the "Instructions"

3. You must use Metal-Ready fi rst if you are
painting POR15 on new steel, galvanized
metal , aluminum, or any smooth metal
surface.

10. POR-15 should not be applied over other
paints. It is UV sensitive and must be topcoated
with an opaque paint if left exposed to
the sun.

http://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/n...directions.pdf

That knockin, ain't a loose rod, Son!
Photos

Former Fleet:
2009 Craftsman GTS5000 Excellerator - Sold
Photos

2006 John Deere 3320, FEL, Backhoe, 62 MMM - Sold
Photos

2005 Cub Cadet 6284D FEL, Backhoe , 70" rear finish mower - Bought back, LEMON
Photos
Brett-JDX748 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 09:49 AM   post #15 of 19
Canawler

MTF Member # 32205

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieduc104 View Post

Not to jump on but it doesn't convert the rust, just adheres to and seals it. Rust can't spread if it has no oxygen.
Also, you are correct about the ordinary paint topcoating but they make their own topcoat as well as a coating to use first that allows topcoating with ordinary paint.

It's only money, you make more every day.
'74 Agway/MTD 990
'93 Troy-bilt GTX18
'74 Allis Chalmers Homesteader 8 (X2)
?? Simplicity Broadmoor 717
?? Pennsylvania Meteor 1010
Canawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.