B & S 15 hp OHV Intek problem - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 11-03-2010, 03:47 PM   post #1 of 8
Richard
MTF Member

MTF Member # 779
Default B & S 15 hp OHV Intek problem

Engine would smoke (white) and almost stop. I pulled the breather hose off the carburetor and fuel spits out the hose. Also the crankcase has fuel in it. Is this a valve problem? What is the fix?
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 05:53 PM   post #2 of 8
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367
Default Re: B & S 15 hp OHV Intek problem

It is leaking gas into the crankcase, probably due to a dirty needle and seat in the carburetor. Install and use a fuel shut-off valve. If that solves the problem, leave well enough alone. If the engine tends to flood out while running, the carb. will need attention, probably a cleaning.

In any case, drain the contaminated oil or the symptoms will continue even if you fixed the original problem.
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 PM   post #3 of 8
Richard
MTF Member

MTF Member # 779

Thanks for the response, from time to time this engine has been hard to turn over no matter what battery power I give it. I smoked one starter years ago trying to crank this thing. It starts good if you can get it to turn over. Is there a high impedance starter available for these engines? When I finally got it started today and saw gas coming out of the breather hose I stopped it checked the oil and found gas in the crankcase, I drained the oil and it seem to be more gas that oil. So I guess what you are saying is gas is leaking down the cylinder and then is being pushed past the rings and valve stems to the breather hose. This engine is on a zero turn Huskavarna, what a pain to get to the carb.
Thanks again, any thoughts on the hard to crank would be helpful. This engine only has 90 hours and seven years old.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:58 PM   post #4 of 8
IHcubguy
TE Writer!

MTF Member # 30412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Thanks for the response, from time to time this engine has been hard to turn over no matter what battery power I give it. I smoked one starter years ago trying to crank this thing. It starts good if you can get it to turn over. Is there a high impedance starter available for these engines? When I finally got it started today and saw gas coming out of the breather hose I stopped it checked the oil and found gas in the crankcase, I drained the oil and it seem to be more gas that oil. So I guess what you are saying is gas is leaking down the cylinder and then is being pushed past the rings and valve stems to the breather hose. This engine is on a zero turn Huskavarna, what a pain to get to the carb.
Thanks again, any thoughts on the hard to crank would be helpful. This engine only has 90 hours and seven years old.
Sounds like it may need a valve adjustment, could be the reason for the hard starts. With fuel getting into the crankcase, Installing a fuel shut off is a band-aid, need to properly fix the problem, one problem could be as mentioned above, a sticking float valve or If equiped with a fuel pump, it so happens fuel can bypass through the pump and travel through the vacuum line, and into the crankcase. It's happened before, come to find out it was a defective fuel pump, replaced and problem solved.

www.facebook.com/MseRepairService

Last edited by IHcubguy; 11-03-2010 at 08:05 PM.
IHcubguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 08:48 PM   post #5 of 8
Fcubman
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 18953

As already stated, check your valve clearances. Too much clearance defeats the compression release and makes the engine hard to turn over.

Install a fuel shutoff valve ASAP. Leaking fuel is a fire hazard, and will ruin your engine bearings quickly.

Living in The Land Of The Free - because of The Brave!
Fcubman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 PM   post #6 of 8
Walt 2002
Senior MTF Poster

MTF Member # 1229

I have detailed instructions for adjusting the valves as well as some other helpful info IF you would like to have it. Address below, put in proper format and remind me including model number of the engine.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com
Walt 2002 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 08:26 PM   post #7 of 8
Richard
MTF Member

MTF Member # 779

Gas drained from crankcase, oil and oil filter changed, carburetor removed and cleaned with carburetor cleaner. New fuel filter and fuel shutoff installed. Engine turns over just fine, starts right up and runs great. The carb looked fine, no trash, needle valve and float a working properly. I use this mower to pull a leaf vac. so when the leafs are all picked up I'll take the intake loose and see if fuel is still getting in the cylinder.
Thanks for all the advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 12:30 AM   post #8 of 8
Fcubman
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 18953

Great, and thanks for getting back to us!

Living in The Land Of The Free - because of The Brave!
Fcubman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.