Oil Pressure Light Blinking - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 10-25-2010, 07:01 AM   post #1 of 29
CHDinCT
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 7272
Default Oil Pressure Light Blinking

Anyone know where I can find the oil pressure safety switch on an Onan P220G? Was doing leaves yesterday and stopped to empty the Cyclone Rake. Went to start it and no go. The oil pressure warning light just blinks and it won't crank. It was running fine before that. Checked the oil level and it's fine though I did smell some oil earlier while mowing. Would a plugged crankcase breather trip the switch? That would cause too much pressure, but according to my manual, it leads to oil leaks at the seals and oil in the air cleaner, none of which I see. I hope it's just a safety switch issue. Thanks

BX25, 54" MMM, 5' Rake, Wallenstein BX42 PTO Chipper, Woods Rear Blade, 54" front blade, 48" box blade, Ratchet Rake.
1993 Wheel Horse 520-H, 48" deck & vac bagger.
1967 Wheel Horse 1077 with 36" RD deck (in resto).
Cyclone Rake, and other toys, I mean tools
CHDinCT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 04:03 PM   post #2 of 29
motox25
MTF Member

MTF Member # 43885
Default Re: Oil Pressure Light Blinking

The pressure switch on the P220G is behind the flywheel shroud. You'll likely have to pull the flywheel to get a good look at it, its on the block near the rear cylinder.
motox25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 05:47 PM   post #3 of 29
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

Is there a possibility that the engine is overheating and causing the oil to thin out, turning on the light?
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 06:29 PM   post #4 of 29
CHDinCT

MTF Member # 7272

I got as far as getting to the oil pressure switch today. I got the flywheel shroud loose but not all the way out, but I can see it now. I also took a look further at the crankcase breather and I did see some oil under the air cleaner when I took it out. Also some oil dripping out of the vacuum tube for the fuel pump, so maybe it is a bit clogged. Odd thing is that the crankcase breather on my P220 doesn't look like the one in the Onan manual I have. I'm going to try to get it out and clean it, hopefully tomorrow, and also check and clean the contacts for the oil pressure switch. Maybe it's just a bad ground.

Just for kicks, I looked up the cost of a new pressure sensor switch from Toro - $153.04

As far as overheating, I would think once it cooled off it would start up again. Seemed to be running fine until I turned it off to unload leaves.

BX25, 54" MMM, 5' Rake, Wallenstein BX42 PTO Chipper, Woods Rear Blade, 54" front blade, 48" box blade, Ratchet Rake.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:00 PM   post #5 of 29
Mrwiggles2
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 495

Clean the breather (use mineral spirits) and then replace. That wire mesh will likely gunked up. Make sure that the air filter is clean too. Check the contacts for the oil pressure switch- may just need to clean it...

You Tube Channel Link Below. Videos on my tractors, how-to and just good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrwiggles2?feature=mhee

1989 Wheel Horse 416-8 16hp Onan

1989 Wheel Horse 520-H 20hp Onan
Mrwiggles2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 07:54 PM   post #6 of 29
300zx
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39613

Chris, neither the oil pressure or head temperature sensors are in series with the ignition on my 520s. The oil pressure switch either lights the light on low oil pressure or runs the hour meter on normal pressure. The head temperature just has a warning light. So, I don't think either would keep your engine from starting. You may want to check your wiring diagram. If it still isn't starting, I would try connecting a temporary wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil to see if it starts and runs without all of the safety switches. Then you will know where to go next. LOI (Love Old Iron) was helping someone earlier with a blinking oil pressure light on the Red Square Wheel Horse forum. You may want to search on it, also.

1967 857 (Restored in 85), 36" deck, front blade, plow
1977 C121-8 (Restored in 88) w/rebuilt 16 hp Kohler, 42" recycle deck, Tiller, Snow Blower and Cab, Plow, Front Blade, mounted Sprayer & Spreader
1979 C161 Auto (Restored in 10), 42" deck
1979 B7100D Kubota (Refreshed in 10), FEL, Snow Blower, Front Blade, Woods Mower, Tiller, Plow, Dirt Scoop
1985 312-8, 36" deck
1989 520-H, 48" deck
1990 520-H,48" deck
1991 520-H
1993 520-H
2007 ZG20 Kubota ZTR
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 09:02 AM   post #7 of 29
Zippez
Subsurface dweller

MTF Member # 37452

You state it will not crank now. I take that to mean the starter will not turn or is not getting energized. I see nothing in the starter circuit that is tied to the oil pressure switch.
Perhaps to test the oil circuit/system, you can remove spark plugs (to ease compression) and jump the starter. Spin to see if pressure builds to extinguish light. You can place a test lamp on the hour meter - terminal. The hour meter begins clocking when oil pressure switch turns off the light (pressure present) and then completes the ground circuit for the hour meter.
I would guess you have no issues with the oil system. Rather typical 520 electrical bugaboos. Wiggle that silly nine pin Molex connector. That thing is a great source of aggravation!
Zippez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 10:43 AM   post #8 of 29
CHDinCT

MTF Member # 7272

Well, I think I found the issue, but maybe not the cause. The 30 amp fuse was fried. My voltage regulator has been acting weird for a few years. When running, the voltmeter vacillates between 13+ volts and pegging all the way right (over voltage). Probably time for a new voltage regulator after 18 years of use. Could the run away voltage regulator have caused the fuse to fry? I don't want to do a simple replace and have it pop again.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:54 PM   post #9 of 29
motox25
MTF Member

MTF Member # 43885

I would definitely think so if it sends too high a voltage through the electrical system. However, a fuse is much cheaper than a new regulator so you could try a new one and see if it happens again.
motox25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 PM   post #10 of 29
gwest_ca

MTF Member # 20903

High voltage won't blow a fuse. It is the amps or current flow exceeding 30amps that would cause it to blow.

If fried as in overheated it would be caused by a poor fuse to terminal connection = resistance = heat but that should not cause the fuse to blow.

Garry
gwest_ca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 AM   post #11 of 29
CHDinCT

MTF Member # 7272

Thanks guys. Yeah, I started thinking over voltage wouldn't be the issue, but something is amiss with the regulator. Maybe a bad ground? I will try cleaning the contacts and see once I get the flywheel off. The blown fuse "fused" itself to the fuse clip and I just about destroyed the clip getting it out. In fact I've been searching online for a new clip but can't find one like the OEM version. I also don't see it as a part listed on the Toro parts sight.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:59 AM   post #12 of 29
CHDinCT

MTF Member # 7272

Anybody that needs a new fuse holder and clips for a 300/400/500 series WH, I found an on-line source. I think this guy may be on here, not sure, but I know he posts over at redsquare. Goes by the name Eldon. Anyway, his site popped up on a Google search. I couldn't find the OEM type fuse holders or a similar fuse box. Most have one positive lead coming into the fuse box where you can then wire individual breakers/circuits off of the single power lead. The WH OEM fuse box has four slots for 4 individual circuits - that is separate power leads into and out of the box. Anyway, here's the link.

http://www.classickitchensandmore.co...rm-p-1509.html

I couldn't get the flywheel off so I never did check the regulator. I'm going to wire up the new fuse box then see what I get. Doubt the fired 30 amp fuse is the only issue, but we'll see in due time.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:05 PM   post #13 of 29
CHDinCT

MTF Member # 7272

Need some help. I had the air cleaner housing sitting loose on top of the engine while I checked and cleaned the crankcase breather (look fine by the way). A few hours later while working over by the fuse holder, the housing slipped off the engine to my garage floor. No big deal except this tube you see in the pic was connected somewhere but I don't know where. It's not the vac hose that goes to the "power meter" on the dash as I see that still in tact. Anyone know where the other end of this tube hooks to? A scan for open ports somewhere did not uncover anything. I don't have an illustrated parts list for the 520 or I'd look it up that way. Thanks for any clues.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 PM   post #14 of 29
glenn27
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHDinCT View Post
Anybody that needs a new fuse holder and clips for a 300/400/500 series WH, I found an on-line source. I think this guy may be on here, not sure, but I know he posts over at redsquare. Goes by the name Eldon. Anyway, his site popped up on a Google search. I couldn't find the OEM type fuse holders or a similar fuse box. Most have one positive lead coming into the fuse box where you can then wire individual breakers/circuits off of the single power lead. The WH OEM fuse box has four slots for 4 individual circuits - that is separate power leads into and out of the box. Anyway, here's the link.

http://www.classickitchensandmore.co...rm-p-1509.html

I couldn't get the flywheel off so I never did check the regulator. I'm going to wire up the new fuse box then see what I get. Doubt the fired 30 amp fuse is the only issue, but we'll see in due time.

Yes--I have met Eldon several times in the past--that 'link' is his daytime gig.

He started doing repro parts, etc. a couple years ago, I beleive.

His work is quality done, and he is a wealth of Wheelhorse info. Woiuld deal with hgim again if he had something I needed, I didn't know he was doing decals, however.

glenn

glenn

Sometimes you just have to laugh..To keep from going insane!!

Jimmy Buffett
glenn27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 08:27 PM   post #15 of 29
300zx
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39613

Quote:
Anyone know where the other end of this tube hooks to?
Chris, there is an air cleaner sensor under the dash. It is square with a 1/4 inch connection for the hose. It also has an electrical connection that goes to the warning light console for when the air cleaner needs to be changed. If you want to see what the sensor looks like, look at component 32 in the electrical system of the parts break down.

1967 857 (Restored in 85), 36" deck, front blade, plow
1977 C121-8 (Restored in 88) w/rebuilt 16 hp Kohler, 42" recycle deck, Tiller, Snow Blower and Cab, Plow, Front Blade, mounted Sprayer & Spreader
1979 C161 Auto (Restored in 10), 42" deck
1979 B7100D Kubota (Refreshed in 10), FEL, Snow Blower, Front Blade, Woods Mower, Tiller, Plow, Dirt Scoop
1985 312-8, 36" deck
1989 520-H, 48" deck
1990 520-H,48" deck
1991 520-H
1993 520-H
2007 ZG20 Kubota ZTR
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.