Putting a non Deere 3PH tiller on an x700 series - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 10-23-2010, 05:10 PM   post #1 of 6
ColonyPark
3K & Yet So Little to Say

MTF Member # 5603
Default Putting a non Deere 3PH tiller on an x700 series

I am just about ready to pull the trigger on the x728. Will my 4' King Kutter tiller fit on the 3PH on the x728 ok? I will probably have to cut down the drive shaft, but any other issues? My salesman thought it would be ok, but said he has to order different brackets (I think that's what he said) for the 647 tiller when it goes on an x700 series.

1990 John Deere 185 w/46" Deck and PowerFlow Bagger
ColonyPark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 05:26 PM   post #2 of 6
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24
Default Re: Putting a non Deere 3PH tiller on an x700 series

It should be fine I have used aftermarket PTO equipment on my X485 Limited Cat 1 3point
Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
White Model: GT2055

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 05:43 PM   post #3 of 6
ColonyPark
3K & Yet So Little to Say

MTF Member # 5603

That's what I thought. I find it funny how the salesman (mine is excellent) always seem to under estimate the ability of the machines. I know it is conservative in order to get you to spend more $$$. But I asked about some super light grading with a x7 and a box blade. He told me he didn't think so, maybe a 48" box blade, but that would be a stretch. Deere says they will take a 48", and from the folks here and what they are doing, I am confident it would handle just one fine (depending on what you are doing of course).

1990 John Deere 185 w/46" Deck and PowerFlow Bagger
ColonyPark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 07:55 PM   post #4 of 6
Sergeant
Tech Exchange Moderator

MTF Member # 24

Heck the X700 series will handle a LX4 rotary cutter without a problem. I sometime Cut the Deere Dealerships 10 acres where my younger Brother is the Service & Parts Manager and I Use a X495 with a LX4 rotary Cutter on the back.. Before the sub compacts came out I bet you dealer would have said sure it can do that.
Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
White Model: GT2055

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 PM   post #5 of 6
andyb
Diesel Power

MTF Member # 32157
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
Heck the X700 series will handle a LX4 rotary cutter without a problem. I sometime Cut the Deere Dealerships 10 acres where my younger Brother is the Service & Parts Manager and I Use a X495 with a LX4 rotary Cutter on the back.. Before the sub compacts came out I bet you dealer would have said sure it can do that.
I used a JD 403 4' rotary cutter today. I wasn't sure how it would handle it, worked great. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.
54" blade
62" deck
284.4 hours and counting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1dzMX49NC0

1994 John Deere 445 sold
andyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 AM   post #6 of 6
jeeperv6
Retired Farmer

MTF Member # 32003

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on the x728. Will my 4' King Kutter tiller fit on the 3PH on the x728 ok? I will probably have to cut down the drive shaft, but any other issues? My salesman thought it would be ok, but said he has to order different brackets (I think that's what he said) for the 647 tiller when it goes on an x700 series.
I got a 4' Farm King(Buhler) tiller on the back of my x485. The only modification I had to do was to cut the PTO shaft in length. Most PTO attachments come in a generic length and you have to cut/lengthen to fit your application.

BTW, my Farm King tips the scale @ 435lbs. I got about 200lbs on the front of my x485 to off-set the added rear weight. I think vs a 23xx series tractor, the added lift height & additional weight of the 23xx series is a very positive thing. I sometimes wish I had a little more lift on my X485.

My $0.02

jeeperv6
'03 JD x485, 3pt hitch, rear PTO, 62C MMM, 48" Farm King tiller, 48" Farm King box blade, 5' King Kutter rake, NOS Brinly DD-1000 double disc converted to DD-1035 (notched discs), King Kutter XB middle buster (modified)
'05 Yamaha Grizzly 660, 48" Quadzillavator,

'79 IH Scout II - I drive farm equipment!
jeeperv6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.