when can i put lime down? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-30-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
simple_john
Retired MTF Founder

MTF Member # 1
Default when can i put lime down?

I just put fertilzer down out front... perfect timing.. its supposed to rain for the next 2 days so i wanted to let it get soaked in...

i want to put lime down too.. do you think i can put it down now or do i have to wait for the fertilizer to dissolve?? or wait a while before doing it??
simple_john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2005, 02:00 PM   #2
ducati996
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 39
Default Re: when can i put lime down?

I put peletized lime, starter fert and seed down all at once....I use Lesco products which come in 50 lbs bags.....works excellent and very cost effective...

It will soon be pre-emergent treatment time in another two weeks...better get busy SJ

Ducati
ducati996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage

Great question SJ, I was wondering the same thing and thanks Duc for responding. Curious to see the answers for this thread .
Jim_WV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
simple_john
Retired MTF Founder

MTF Member # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati996
It will soon be pre-emergent treatment time in another two weeks...better get busy SJ

Ducati

i put down weed -n-feed which was the 2nd stage of their 4 stages of fertilizer .. i think we totally missed the 1st stage... heck we had snow on the ground up until a few weeks ago... ROF

thanks ill put lime down if we get a lull in the rain..
Old 04-30-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
Hay DR
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 203

Hydrated lime or often called burnt lime works immediately when applied to the soil. Pelletized lime and agricultural line needs 6 months to one year before the lime starts to react in the soil. It often takes 2 years for agricultural lime to realize its full benefit in the soil.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
Archdean

MTF Member # 31

Humm! How to say this w/o appearing to be a smart a**!

Put the lime on at anytime you can!! But wait on the fertilizer of any kind well into June for the following two reasons!!

1. Assuming that you did your fall application, it gives the plant time to absorb the residual that it was unable to use last fall!!
2. In effect your giving the weed seeds dormant or other wise a kick in the a** in the early spring , exactly the wrong thing to do!!

How can I say this so emphatically? One of my prized accomplishments was Recieving a degree in Agriculture from Camron University a sub school of OU back in the day when the Military rewarded us stupid guys with an education!!
Archdean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
simple_john
Retired MTF Founder

MTF Member # 1
Default Weed N Feed

dean i put miracle grows version of Weed N Feed.. so its a fertilizer and weed control

from site:

Scotts® Lawn Pro® Step™ 2 Weed Control Plus Fertilizer

• One application provides 2 months of rich green as it rids your lawn of dandelions and other broadleaf weeds
  • Strengthens and greens your lawn from the roots up
  • Every Scotts All-in-One® particle contains plant nutrients and weedcontrol ingredients.
  • Tiny lightweight granules stick to weed leaves far better than larger pellets of other weed killers for better control.
  • Patented time release nitrogen builds a thick, green lawn without burning your lawn

in the past id use CGM instead of fertilizert.. that would basically fertilize the dandelions... id have zillions of them.. this year i lazied out and got the stuff w/dandelion killer in it...
Old 04-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #8
Archdean

MTF Member # 31

"i put miracle grows version of Weed N Feed.. so its a fertilizer and weed control "

And it's expensive, the weed part is formulated to inhibit the growth of our friends the broadleafs ie.( dandy lions and the like) but can not and dare not affect the grass like pervasive weeds Quack to name just one or it will negate the desired grass varietys!

Feed in late fall hold off till June depending on your zone and climate I do mine in zone 6 on or about the 1st of June. Mow as needed to about one inch or more and the weeds (All Types) can't compete!! For about 1/8 the cost of the method that you used and will be more effective over time!!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:08 PM   #9
Argee
Anything With Wheels

MTF Member # 5

I put down 12-12-12 @ $6.87 per 40LB bag and a liquid weed killer @ $18.95 QT..and it does pretty much the same thing as weed and feed but for less $$$. I put down pellitized lime every year and you can do it anytime at $3.43 per 40LB bag.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:12 PM   #10
Argee
Anything With Wheels

MTF Member # 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archdean
Put the lime on at anytime you can!! But wait on the fertilizer of any kind well into June for the following two reasons!!

1. Assuming that you did your fall application, it gives the plant time to absorb the residual that it was unable to use last fall!!
2. In effect your giving the weed seeds dormant or other wise a kick in the a** in the early spring , exactly the wrong thing to do!!
Dean...I hear what your saying and I agree in part, but if you give the grass a kick in the spring it helps to suppress the weeds before they can get going. I base this on my own observations over many years of applying fertilizers at different times of the year.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:30 PM   #11
jodyand
Retired Super Moderator

MTF Member # 6

Well here the weeds start growing in Jan long before the grass even thinks about starting. So late Feb or early March i put the weed and feed out and it kills off the weeds and the grass greens up long before my neighbors.
2006 Dodge 1500 Mega Cab
2004 Flagstaff 8524RK 5th Wheel
jodyand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2005, 08:42 PM   #12
Archdean

MTF Member # 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee
Dean...I hear what your saying and I agree in part, but if you give the grass a kick in the spring it helps to suppress the weeds before they can get going. I base this on my own observations over many years of applying fertilizers at different times of the year.
Do you apply a fall application??
If you do then you do not need to apply until early summer!!
Old 04-30-2005, 09:51 PM   #13
JDFANATIC
9K+ Poster

MTF Member # 41
Garage

My philosophy is to get the step-1 down as soon as possible. Crabgrass is a bad thing; it is almost impossible to get rid of it (within the same season) of when you do get it. Keep in mind though that it only lasts ~ 4 months, so that a second application will be due around August, when it is the hottest and crabgrass will thrive. Here in CT, I put this step down the first week in April (Lesco). In about two weeks, I will put down step-2 (weedkiller) to stop the proliferation of dandellions (among other things) that have already started to pop off. Remember you can kill weeds at almost anytime. Towards the end of June I will put down plain pellitized fertilizer, and if I see any hint of damage, grub treatment. After the second application of step-1 in August, I'll put down a winterizer mix in late Sept/early Oct. As I have already posted, lime went down this year, and I'll probably test the pH in the fall.

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210
JDFANATIC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2005, 05:06 PM   #14
ducati996
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 39

Anybody come across a lack of supply for Grub control that contains Merit?
It appears the DEC has just limited the use and availability to only licensed
pesticide contractors. The box stores are only to sell what they have on the shelf, but will be unable to re-order. I usually buy directly from Lesco but as of today I can not get my hands on the Merit based fert/grub control products. I found the Merit based products to be the best, so I'm determined to find a work around....just thought you might want to know

Ducati
ducati996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2005, 10:55 AM   #15
JDFANATIC
9K+ Poster

MTF Member # 41
Garage

duc,

Wow. I like the Merit based stuff too. I'll ask around, but if you find out anything else, please let us know.

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210
JDFANATIC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.