Tow behind lawn leaf vac - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 10-15-2010, 05:28 PM   post #1 of 53
canigolf2day
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 42335
Default Tow behind lawn leaf vac

Hi All,
Looking to purchase a tow behind lawn leaf vac to attach to my Husqvarna 20hp 46in for my large 1.5 acre annoying leave infested yard. Any thoughts or recomendations. Thanks All.
canigolf2day is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 05:56 PM   post #2 of 53
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37
Default Re: Tow behind lawn leaf vac

Mulch it and be done with it. Lot easier than dumping and bagging. slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 06:25 PM   post #3 of 53
APinNY
I didn't do it!

MTF Member # 22011

There has been much discussion about lawn vacs on this forum. Here is a link to my review of the DR machine:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=100025

Any machine will beat the he%% out of raking.

Kubota BX1860, 48" fine cut mulching MMM, FEL, snow thrower, cab
TroyBilt LTX 15.5, snow thrower, cab (sold)
TroyBilt LTX 13, (given away)
Craftsman DYT 4000 Special Edition, 21 HP Briggs Twin (sold)
DR Lawn Vacuum. Review here
1978 Craftsman 7 1/2 HP snow blower (backup machine-never use it)

"You will find out what that extra part is for as soon as you throw it away"
APinNY is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 04:48 PM   post #4 of 53
gman2304
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 29419

I bought a cyclone rake about six years ago. It does a great job . The hardware is stainless steel and everything about it is top quality. It folds up for easy compact storage and has a 3 year warranty .Go to cyclone rake . com and watch the video. I love mine!
gman2304 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 AM   post #5 of 53
99flhr
Banned

MTF Member # 32245

Recently purchased an Agri-Fab Mow N Vac from T-S. So far so good
99flhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 01:32 PM   post #6 of 53
CT-JR
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 40189

I"d look at the Trac-Vac models.
CT-JR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2010, 12:04 PM   post #7 of 53
miller17636
Lawn Boys Never Die

MTF Member # 34706

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99flhr View Post
Recently purchased an Agri-Fab Mow N Vac from T-S. So far so good
I have an agri fab as well. Great machine and it won't break the bank. Got mine at Lowes on clearence last year. They even threw in the remote hose kit.
1970 John Deere 120
Lots of Lawn boys
miller17636 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 02:40 AM   post #8 of 53
Don B.
Banned

MTF Member # 29108

I like my trac vac. though I sometimes I had one of their larger models so I wouldnt have to dump as often; you'll definitely need a larger one for that size yard
I bought mine used a year ago, needing carb work from sitting with old gas inside, working like a champ so far this year
if I had to buy another I would do so off season; as during leaf season the prices shoot way up even on used; I paid $225 for mine last year and drove 2 hours away to find it (was a Craigslist buy) because I don't mind mowing or snow removal but have always hated hand raking whether it was from a freshly mowed/overgrown yard or leaf season; and that was as-was condition; plugged carb and all; I had to "rob" a carb and gas tank from another machine (my brother's logsplitter) to be able to use the trac vac last Fall; that problem is now solved, everyone now has it's own "right" carb and gas tank once again; but when I found out that a guy that I know, bought an identical twin to my machine this past summer at the local annual tractor/Threshermens show for a measly $50 that only needed a new recoil starter spring I was pizzed.
mine's an '87 model, the one with the 8 cu ft 16" square X about 40" tall "box" as the catcher, not the ones that use the regular yard cart; I did see one of those type go at a local estate sale last summer for ~$525-550. and did see a few at local garage sales this yr but never asked since I have no place to put another;

there was an ad for one like mine at a garage sale about a month ago, like an hour away from me (Craigslist) that had one like mine listed for $50 "Ran when last used" but that was 4-5 years ago by the sellers estimate. so they are out there.
Don B. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 02:33 PM   post #9 of 53
pintopkp
So little time.....

MTF Member # 29391

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2304 View Post
I bought a cyclone rake about six years ago. It does a great job . The hardware is stainless steel and everything about it is top quality. It folds up for easy compact storage and has a 3 year warranty .Go to cyclone rake . com and watch the video. I love mine!
Ditto. This is my first leaf season with mine and I absolutely love it. Great for bagging thatch after dethatching too.
pintopkp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 PM   post #10 of 53
Toolin
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert

MTF Member # 18867

I'm another satisfied Cyclone Rake owner. See the "Cyclone" link in my sig line below.
Toolin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 PM   post #11 of 53
ryanmad2000
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 80430

I am going to look into a Cyclone Rake, I have had a very rough and trying experience with the 8hp DR lawn and leaf vac, tow behind....

In 2010, my first unit (which was later replaced free of charge) blew through 10 rubber engine couplers that prevent the engine from being damaged when there was a clog. Nothing was clogging the machine but 10 rubber gears were shredded and I replaced them.
For 2011 and 2012, the replacement machine experienced 5 rubber coupler failures but this was a big improvement over the original machine. In addition I have experienced the following issues with this machine:
1) Oil dipstick shakes loose and allows oil to spew from engine – needs to be monitored closely.
2) 4 large bolts holding the frame of the unit to the hitch have sheared off twice – I was finally able to find strong enough bolts from local hardware store to prevent them from shearing. (grade 8 bolts)
3) The universal deck adaptor is of such a shape that even slightly moist grass and leaves create clogs in the output chute just off the deck. This does require shutting off your tractor due to closeness to mower blades. The adaptor seems to collect the grass and leaves at a large area at the bottom and they quickly have to launch up and out to a 45 degree angle that gets to be too steep when they are heavy and therefore backup and create a clog.
4) The black plastic thumb-pad screws to allow putting on and off 6 inch collection hose seem to only last 10 to 20 uses and when they break off you will need to have a pair of pliers to address the next, most important, issue.
5) Finally and most significantly, the 8hp lawn and leaf vac is very particular about wanting dry leaves with no twigs or sticks (sticks become twigs under a turning mower deck!) due to 1) the internally ribbed hose that enters a 90 angle plastic chute at the rear of the ‘box’ catching twigs in the hose or the 90 angle chute itself being a tough turn for the twigs and/or 2) the coupler between the hose and the 90 degree plastic angle warping outward within the 6 inch flex hose causing a greater surface area for twigs to grab on and clog the hose. I found myself getting about 15-20 feet of travel while using the product before I had to dismount, undo the hose at the rear of the box and unclog the hose, reattach the hose and get going again.

I have a 3 acre yard and I have found the product to be unusable in my particular situation.
ryanmad2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 PM   post #12 of 53
Newsman
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 22675

I also have the Cyclone Rake. Have had it for eight years and it has really proved it's worth. Especially like the 20 foot long vac hose for flower beds and under shrubs and hedges. Sometimes there are areas you just can't get with a backpack blower.
MikeC
Newsman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 AM   post #13 of 53
Jere39
Have Dog - Will Travel

MTF Member # 47088

I just posted this same info in the JD forum to a similar question, but it appears to a different audience. I have a TracVac 880. I am perfectly happy with the results I get. But, I'll be the first to admit I do not get 100% clean up. Part of the problem is the combination of leaf leak out the front of the deck and exhaust routing on the JD x728 blowing leaves out of the path of the deck. The bigger issue is leaves never quite all fall, so there is a perpetual, though decreasing replenishment of the leaves on the lawn.

As mentioned by a few, the TracVac does not collapse, nor fold up. It takes a significant chunk of storage space. The best I can offer there is, I store stuff inside it over the winter, like a trimming mower and a wheelbarrow. Not optimal.

I made this youtube video of my set up working the leaves: http://youtu.be/njiJli4PpXI

Here is a little time-lapse from that same day:

Before:

2 Passes:

Half Finished: (note the leaves left behind)

Finished, at least for a day, you can see a few trees still clinging to some leaves, and my entire lawn is surrounded on all four sides by second generation PA hardwood. There is no such thing as the "end of leaf clean-up"

Disclaimer - These pictures and video are from last year.

Jere39 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:24 AM   post #14 of 53
APinNY
I didn't do it!

MTF Member # 22011

Jere, your Trac Vac does a nice job. I also have perpetual leaf fall. Certain beech leaves fall all winter long and some stay on until spring. As to the exhaust pipe, I read somewhere on here that a member fashioned a curved extension pipe, for a different reason. That might work for you. That's a nice piece of property you have. If storage is a problem I would put up a bulding or shed. Just sayin'.

Kubota BX1860, 48" fine cut mulching MMM, FEL, snow thrower, cab
TroyBilt LTX 15.5, snow thrower, cab (sold)
TroyBilt LTX 13, (given away)
Craftsman DYT 4000 Special Edition, 21 HP Briggs Twin (sold)
DR Lawn Vacuum. Review here
1978 Craftsman 7 1/2 HP snow blower (backup machine-never use it)

"You will find out what that extra part is for as soon as you throw it away"
APinNY is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 AM   post #15 of 53
drbailey
MTF Yackity Yack Moderator

MTF Member # 71
Garage

I bought a pull vac last Fall, I had no problem liking it right off. I have used it three times this year,as you can see I need to get to work on the leaves again(now!) I think it will take two more vacs. for the year.
Craftsman from Sears, I also have a hose ext. for hard to get to spots.
If I remember right, it list for $1600.00 last year. there were discounts at the time, I gave $1300.00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05800.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	236672  

drbailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.