Homemade Gun Cabinet - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

The Great Outdoors Hunting/fishing, Firearms, Shooting sports, Water sports, and Hiking and Biking... If you can do it outside.... Talk about it here!!!

Old 09-25-2010, 12:40 AM   post #1 of 8
Juggler
Silent, Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 65
Default Homemade Gun Cabinet

Well, I'm looking for ideas here. I want to build a gun cabinet on the cheap. I'm thinking of spending in the vicinity of $100.00 on materials. Especially when I can get something like this for similar money...

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-GC-908-5...ref=pd_cp_hi_3

The thing is I'd rather make a simple cabinet out of wood, just for the fun of it. Something that will hold about 6 long guns, and a hand gun or two. I'm not in any way a carpenter of any sort, I made my living with nuts and bolts.

Just the wife and I in the house, no kids or grandkids to worry about. One of the long guns will be the HD gun. So I'm thinking no door on the cabinet. Also thinking of running a steel cable with padlock on the remaining long guns. I've recently been to a few local gunshops, and I think I can build one at least as good as some of the racks they use for used long guns.

Any ideas?

"Jim"
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 01:58 AM   post #2 of 8
tackit
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45632
Default Re: Homemade Gun Cabinet

Juggler, using wood probably the fastest,cheapest and best wood for the project would be 3/4" plywood.

To cut down on expenses if you can get your hands on a few good pallets you can use the white Oak 2x4s or 4x4s at the bottom, middle and top of the gun case for strength, notching the middl oak 2X4 out to hold your gun's forearms and a notched piece of pallet board on top of the bottom 2X4 oak board to hold the stocks.

If the white oak is in good shape it will provide a good solid connection for the side boards using long lag bolts or long deck screws.

You could even bolt through the white oak bottom and through a closet floor if you should decided too.. You would have to glue the oak boards together to get the dimension you are looking for but that's no biggie.

The back also could be made out of glued together oak pallet boards if they are in good shape, especially so if you or a friend has a 12" planer or bigger, any deep flaws can be plugged with a wood filler and sanded down.

Just thinking about saving you some money by going with the pallet wood. I save good pallets for their wood and for blocking.

Other ideas coming, might be able to use a few ideas to come up with one you like.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:47 PM   post #3 of 8
ar2stp48
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6095

I have built a couple of simple gun cabinets; no plans, just fitted them to guns at hand. Used plywood for one, but didnt like the extra effort to cover the exposed edges. Used white pine for two and stained them to match surrounding furniture.

Currently dont have any gun cabinets due to state of increaded breakins everywhere. Guess my current cabinet is a rather large, double door, Mosler safe.

Have been tempted to build another as I found some very nice 1x8 and 1x10 walnut boards for very reasonable price
ar2stp48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 02:22 PM   post #4 of 8
tackit
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45632

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar2stp48 View Post
I have built a couple of simple gun cabinets; no plans, just fitted them to guns at hand. Used plywood for one, but didnt like the extra effort to cover the exposed edges. Used white pine for two and stained them to match surrounding furniture.

Currently dont have any gun cabinets due to state of increaded breakins everywhere. Guess my current cabinet is a rather large, double door, Mosler safe.

Have been tempted to build another as I found some very nice 1x8 and 1x10 walnut boards for very reasonable price
love the way a glass door walnut gun cabinet looks with the lights turned on.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:44 AM   post #5 of 8
Juggler
Silent, Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackit View Post
love the way a glass door walnut gun cabinet looks with the lights turned on.
Me too!

It just so happens, I have a few unused pallets out back, I'll go have a look at them tomorrow in the daylight! I've got to do something with my long guns, I should have done something with them awhile ago. I don't like leaving them in soft cases. So I'm going to build something to put in our bedroom, probably with an open front (instead of glass door) for easy and quick access. I'm gonna mull this over for a bit yet... gonna look at some "ready mades" to get some ideas.

I had an idea, to dress it up, if I could find some rough cut 3" dia wood fence post, then cut them in half length wise. Glue or screw the flat sides to the outside, then stain them, or clear coat them with something. Just for looks ya know. Heck, I'm probably just shootin' blanks on that idea...

"Jim"
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 AM   post #6 of 8
tackit
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45632

Juggler the sawn in half posts is a cool Idea. I bet it would look good. I like the rustic look of rough sawn white oak pallet boards too.

I bought 3/8 X 4 x 8 sheets of rough sawn pine siding with out lines to panel the back of my reloading bench's hutch. I used minwax water base gloss clear plastic finish on the reloading bench's yellow pine boards and the pine siding, came out nice.

I hate staining white pine, it's uneven staining problems is why I use southern yellow pine allot, it looks good with just a clear coat.

Good luck with your project Juggler, which ever way you decide to build it.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:25 PM   post #7 of 8
DeepSouth
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 42929

Did a oogle search and found tons of pictures that you can tweak to what you are looking for. Sanded ply would be the fastest, but then you have to edge band it. Some clear pine would work also. The pallet thing is a good idea, older pallets were made of some nice wood, anymore when I can get them they are trash even ran through the planer. The post would look nice I think, I have log posts that I am installing all over the porch and house, I am using a flooring poly satin and it yellows the wood a bit and looks great.
DeepSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 03:59 PM   post #8 of 8
JakeBlues652
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 32094

my brothers have made a couple. my one brother made a nice one out of pine. no real plans, just making it to what he pictured in his head, and then stained it. all the materials were like $250 and he got really nice hardware for the doors. its a 4 gun if i remember right with a area in the bottom for handguns and ammo. my other brother made one from what was laying around and i like that once because its sort of rustic looking. if you aren't going to sell it, you could really make it any way you want.
1999 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0
1967 Chevy C/10 4x4 5.0 with a 3" lift and 35's
2000 Chevy S-10 with the MASSIVE 2.2

I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
You can keep the 'change.'
-Hank Williams Jr.
JakeBlues652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.