How often do you sharpen mower blades? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 08-21-2010, 11:05 AM   post #1 of 15
MR.T
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6660
Default How often do you sharpen mower blades?

And how can you tell when they need it? They used to advertise a product on television that they claimed would sharpen them without removing the blades from the deck. Has anybody ever tried it, and what were the results?
MR.T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 12:08 PM   post #2 of 15
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867
Default Re: How often do you sharpen mower blades?

I remember those grinding wheel attachments for a drill to sharpen mower blades..there was a rash of fires caused by them,when folks would simply flip the mower over to sharpen the blade,and the sparks from the grinding wheel and drill motor's brushes ignited the spilled gasoline!..the drill goes too slow to do a very good sharpening job in my opinion and took forever to put a good edge on a dulled blade..

My blades MIGHT get sharpened once a year if they are lucky--I dont have to mow that many times in a season,maybe 6 or so times..and I seem to hit a rock or something immediately after sharpening them too,just like new tires always find something to puncture the sidewall weeks after buying them....

I never notice a huge improvement with freshly sharpened blades either,other than the engine doesn't bog down as much in deep grass..the cut quality dont seem too much better...
I think sharpening the blades too often makes them "dissapear" faster too..blades dont need a razor edge to work well when they are spinning at 200 mph..
Old 08-21-2010, 12:36 PM   post #3 of 15
SonnyT
Hoosier Born & Raised!

MTF Member # 21893
Garage

I check mine all the time, the Gators don't dull like other blades. I sharpen them when they are dull to the touch. I sharpened them yesterday, first time since June and I mow every 4-6 days.

SonnyT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 12:55 PM   post #4 of 15
coldone
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 24068

I chnage mine so often they dont get to dull. If it wasnt for the roots and rocks i would probably sharpen them once a month. My little MTD mower is a bear to get the deck off and there are no good attachment points up front to use a comalong to lift it.
coldone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 PM   post #5 of 15
gray wolf
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 40073

once every 3or 4 years I get a new set never sharpened them.Ive got some on the bolens that I,m having sharpened.first time for everything.
gray wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 07:39 PM   post #6 of 15
LLigetfa
standard issue neuralyzer

MTF Member # 15283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor-Holic View Post
I remember those grinding wheel attachments for a drill to sharpen mower blades..there was a rash of fires caused by them,when folks would simply flip the mower over to sharpen the blade,and the sparks from the grinding wheel and drill motor's brushes ignited the spilled gasoline!....
I'd be too worried of bending up a body panel on the tractor flipping it over so I take mine off once a year and sharpen them whether they need it or not.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:17 PM   post #7 of 15
adamjd
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 47837

I generally put 100 hours a year on my tractors and rarely hit anything. I sharpen my blades every 50 hours or so on a sanding belt and keep the blades cool with water. I also balance the blades every time. I recently bought a set of gator blades for my 430 so I will see how long I can go without sharpening these. Adam
adamjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 11:53 PM   post #8 of 15
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
I'd be too worried of bending up a body panel on the tractor flipping it over so I take mine off once a year and sharpen them whether they need it or not.
Which is why I hang my tractor from a hoist by it's front frame crossmember. So much easier than all the grunting and straining to roll it over and those dang gravel dings are a thing of the past.
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 12:07 AM   post #9 of 15
LLigetfa
standard issue neuralyzer

MTF Member # 15283

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
Which is why I hang my tractor from a hoist by it's front frame crossmember..
Like this?

http://www.mytractorforum.com/attach...8&d=1217189214
Old 08-22-2010, 09:40 AM   post #10 of 15
Brian G. NY
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 4789

About every third time I use it. I mow about an acre and a half. They generally need only a "touch-up" but I can mow faster with nice sharp blades and a clean deck.
Brian G. NY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 AM   post #11 of 15
junk_jivin38
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 12935

we sharpen daily at work,and they usually need it...i dont work with the mow crew anymore,but i do the majority of the sharpening...we have a grinding wheel made specifically for sharpening mower blades...they do about 160 lawns every 7-10 days,and these guys hit everything they can find...i believe each machine gets at least 2 new sets of blades each season,but it beats getting called back to re-mow a yard due to poor cutting...mine at home get sharpened when they need it...typically 2-3 times a season
junk_jivin38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 04:01 PM   post #12 of 15
savageactor7
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 18371

In the spring and fall when the grass is moist probably once in every 7-10 days.

Like a golf course I mow a little every day...even when it's wet. You need sharp blades to cut wet grass.

I use to bench grind but now because of this new craftsman angle grinder I can one hand...that's what I'm do. That saves me the time it took to take the blades off...it was no big deal cause I kind of enjoy pulling maint.

And I sharpen both sides when my blades get old and worn. These blades are sharpen to a weapons grade lethality...because that's the way I like 'em. sharp blades keep your grass looking green/green.

You ever see grass that;s well manicured but frosty looking? That's because they cut with a dull blade that's doing more ripping than cutting and the top 32 of an inch of that takes on a white hue from being ripped instead of cleanly shaven. You get on your hands and knees and it becomes obvious.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:47 PM   post #13 of 15
lowendrider
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36901

I try to sharpen mine in the spring before I mow for the first time. I use the angle grinder and have never tried to balance them. They've never looked bad but I figure its a good idea to touch them up anyway.
lowendrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 09:53 PM   post #14 of 15
Fcubman
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 18953

I sharpen my Simplicity blades about every 25 hours of use. I cut about 3 acres, and some of it is really thick and high. This used to be horse pasture, and it's well fertilized, and the soil is moist. In growing season, you can just about watch the grass grow. I mow twice a week in season.
I use an air powered tool with 80 grit discs. Works great, doesn't heat the blade, works fast, too.

Living in The Land Of The Free - because of The Brave!

Last edited by Fcubman; 08-22-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Fcubman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 09:56 PM   post #15 of 15
andythedrew
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 44562

Got 22hrs on mine and they needed sharpening. Went and got another set so I can sharpen when I have a few and have a extra set on hand.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.