John Deere Info 14SE (SB) - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Walk Behind Mowers We all use them from time to time... no seats on them.. but they get the job done!!!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:46 PM   post #1 of 7
Lostuzer
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 21485
Default John Deere Info 14SE (SB)

Hello,

I have a JD14SB (Actually a JD14SE electric start) I bought off of Craigs List. Ive cleaned the carb., pulled the spark plug, and drained the oil. Ive downloaded a parts list but now I find myself in need of an owners manual. Im interested in the spark plug gap, initial carb. adjustments, and all other literature concerning maintained and proper operation.

Does anyone have a manual they could email me?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Self Propelled 5 speed
14SE
Kawasaki 4.5HP
GX14SEA020447
JD906

Carb:Mikuni Corp.

Thanks,
Bob
Lostuzer@tampabay.rr.com
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 PM   post #2 of 7
mowersnob
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35224
Default Re: John Deere Info 14SE (SB)

Here you go

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...79253903045082
mowersnob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 02:21 PM   post #3 of 7
Lostuzer
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 21485

Thanks for the reply Mowersnob. Id found this previously but I cant find an area that addresses the concerns I have.

Im interested in the spark plug gap, initial carb. adjustments, and all other literature concerning maintained and proper operation.

In addition

I've got it all put back together and it's surging. I know next to nothing about these machines. I've noticed that the throttle plate is cycling open and closed (a little) in sync with the surging. It surges at all speeds. I noticed this linkage is connected to the governor. I don't know if this is a result of the surging or the reason for the surging.

It seems to surge a little less under the load of the blades being engaged.

I meticulously cleaned the carburetor and cant believe there are any blockages yet the needle screw circled in red below has no effect.

I ran across this info and saved it for future reference hoping I would be able to figure out what the author was talking about but its still beyond me (red text).

as it is a 14sb, it has a kawasaki engine on it. when you push the throttle lever all the way forward, check to make sure the choke linkage is closing all the way on the carb. if not, pull the lever back to the fast position and see if 2 holes line up on the plate the cable hooks to. this is the throttle plate. if the holes don't line up, loosen the cable retaining screw and move the cable to align the holes.

I've also read "Surging 318 update" http://www.mytractorforum.com/showth...kawasaki+deere posting plus all other applicable info I could find but am still at a loss.

Gas, fuel lines, oil (NAPA 30 wt. high detergent), oil filter, air filter and prefilter are all new.

Gas tank, gas valve, and gas filter (at bottom of tank) have been cleaned, but Ive yet to install an additional, new inline gas filter.

Spark plug cleaned and reinserted without changing gap.

Self Propelled 5 speed
21"
14SE
4.5HP Kawasaki
GX14SEA020447
JD906

Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-17-2010, 04:53 PM   post #4 of 7
mowersnob
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35224

Back in 2008 mine started surging when under no load, would run fine under load when cutting grass and would not idle at all.

At that time I was busy with work and did not have time to monkey with the carb so I just replaced it with a new one. It fixed the problem so I'm guessing your issues are still carb based.

These mikuni carbs are pretty tricky to the point that my local JD service center prices their service of carb rebuilding to within a few bucks of the cost of a new one....... meaning even they really don't want to deal with them.
mowersnob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 05:32 PM   post #5 of 7
Lostuzer
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 21485

Thanks for the info snob.

I'll pull it again and run some guitar or banjo strings through the possible problem places and see if it helps.

Bob
Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 AM   post #6 of 7
GTP
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 27126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostuzer View Post
Thanks for the info snob.

I'll pull it again and run some guitar or banjo strings through the possible problem places and see if it helps.

Bob
Bob if you want to send it to me-my 14sb wouldn't even run. A few rounds of my ultrasonic cleaner on the main jets and pilot jets did wonders. I also used banjo strings and carb cleaner. I did notice the Pilot jet was uber sticky-might want to make sure that is REALLY clean.

After running the jets through my ultrasonic cleaner it fired up in one pull and has been runnign great since.

-George
Lawn Boy 10324 DF jetted and R-Tek'd "The Hammer"

Lawn Boy Collection (2 D's, 2 F's, 2 DF's, 2 Ms)
John Deere JX75 5spd, BBC, Kawasaki 6.0hp
Comm Snapper WR 2 Cycle WTI-125 4hp 2cycle

Salvation is not found in a religion...it's found in a person, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.
GTP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 12:07 AM   post #7 of 7
Lostuzer
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 21485

Thanks for the offer GTP; and thanks for the idea but I've got a 3 Qt. Crest here that need a little work to get it going (pulse not getting to the transducer).

If fixing it's going to take a while, I have a friend who is a metal machining equipment dealer. I'm sure he has other working ultrasonics. If not I might just take you up on your generous offer.

They are wonderful tools to have around and I almost forgot I had one stashed away.

Thanks again,
Bob
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.