Terramite - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Construction Equipment A Forum for the Big Boys Toys of All Sizes (Excavators, TLB's, Dump-Trucks, Dozers, Backhoes, etc.)

Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 PM   post #1 of 12
dondolittle
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 47357
Default Terramite

Hello all I'm new to this web site looks like a lot of info on everything. I have a Terramite TC5 my brother put hydraulic fluid in it,ran it for some time, I replaced it with the correct oil, but now it won't pull forward or backward, after the fluid gets hot about 20 minutes of use it begains to lose power to the hoe. What can I do?Is the TC5 worth replacing the pump and etc?
dondolittle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 AM   post #2 of 12
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367
Default Re: Terramite

Definitely worth repairing, you may want to call Terramite and see if they'll help you with troubleshooting.
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 PM   post #3 of 12
wardntx
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 48849

I am going to buy a 1999 Terramite T5c for $4700.00 hopefully. It runs good but he said the engine smokes. I cannot find any place that rebuilds Kohler engines and a new one is around $1600 which is still not a bad price even if I have to buy a new engine eventually.
But I see some that have Honda engines and I cannot find which engine they have to compare the prices.
Nor can I find a rebuild kit for this Kohler engine.
Does anyone have a TC5 with a Honda engine and if so, can you please tell me which one it is.
wardntx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 10:01 AM   post #4 of 12
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

Terramite used many different engines. Which Kohler does yours have?
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 AM   post #5 of 12
eddyyy302
Jersey Mechanic

MTF Member # 8395

A terramite is driven from the flywheel side of the engine, therefore the engine doesn't have to be specific for the machine providing it will drive from the flywheel side and you can get or make the correct adapter. I have a Kohler M20 in my terramite, it smokes, but uses very little oil. I have a 22hp kohler command and a 20 hp Briggs vanguard sitting on the shelf should I ever need them for the terramite. Used engines are cheap insurance.

Dan
eddyyy302 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 10:24 AM   post #6 of 12
wardntx
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 48849

I am not sure which engine this unit has. I have 2 choices, one that does not smoke with 2300 hours for 6000.00 and another that smokes with 1900hours for 4700.00
No telling if either has the right amount of hours for real. But I was thinking the one for 4700 that smokes might be the best way to go and if I do put a new or used engine it it, it will just make it worth more.
They are both from 2 different sellers.
The 4700 unit is a 1999. Not sure what the 6500 unit is.
wardntx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 AM   post #7 of 12
eddyyy302
Jersey Mechanic

MTF Member # 8395

A good LOW HOUR used engine is much less than $1,300 so all things equal go with the one that still runs and works but smokes. Mine has been the same ever since I have owned it, 4 years of a little smoke, never gotten any worse and plenty of time to locate good used engines should I ever need them.

Dan
Old 08-09-2010, 10:51 AM   post #8 of 12
BLIND REF
MTF Concierge

MTF Member # 8658
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyyy302 View Post
A terramite is driven from the flywheel side of the engine, therefore the engine doesn't have to be specific for the machine providing it will drive from the flywheel side and you can get or make the correct adapter. I have a Kohler M20 in my terramite, it smokes, but uses very little oil. I have a 22hp kohler command and a 20 hp Briggs vanguard sitting on the shelf should I ever need them for the terramite. Used engines are cheap insurance.

Dan

eddyyy302, I think that is a great idea having a couple used engines as backups!

John Deere 2305 TLB, 62MMM
BLIND REF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 09:45 PM   post #9 of 12
eddyyy302
Jersey Mechanic

MTF Member # 8395

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLIND REF View Post

eddyyy302, I think that is a great idea having a couple used engines as backups!

Thanks Blind Ref! Not only is it a good idea, but it is a huge $$$ saver. Should I need an engine in a pinch and not have the 2 on the shelf a replacement is about $1,700. The briggs cost me $50 and I have $75 in the Kohler. Can't beat that!

Dan
Old 09-16-2010, 12:32 PM   post #10 of 12
Bruce_Mowbray
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 44329

Quote:
But I see some that have Honda engines and I cannot find which engine they have to compare the prices.
Not sure if you found out yet but my Terramite t5C has a Honda 20HP engine. It's spec ID is GX620 QAF.

I hope this helps.

Bruce Mowbray
Springville, PA
Terremite T5C
AC WD-45
Bruce_Mowbray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 06:57 PM   post #11 of 12
cosmo74
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35869

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardntx View Post
I am going to buy a 1999 Terramite T5c for $4700.00 hopefully. It runs good but he said the engine smokes. I cannot find any place that rebuilds Kohler engines and a new one is around $1600 which is still not a bad price even if I have to buy a new engine eventually.
Nor can I find a rebuild kit for this Kohler engine.
Does anyone have a TC5 with a Honda engine and if so, can you please tell me which one it is.
if you are looking for a kit to rebild the engine you might want to try the looking in the lawn and garden section under the The Pulling Club section and pm people when reading look for a kid that has a photo under his name with a tractor making a wheelie while pulling he knows all about kohler engines
cosmo74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 10:31 PM   post #12 of 12
tinkerr1163
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 50612

I have a older terramite(T4) mine does the same thing I'm told the hydraulic pump needs rebuilt. The T4 uses a vane pump about $200 to rebuild.

There is a company called Kustom Small Engine that sells engine kits on E-Bay and specializes in rebuilding Kohler Engines. They will rebuild yours or sell you another and take your core. Give them a call they will answer your ?'s. Located in Ohio. 330 868-7875

Last edited by tinkerr1163; 09-17-2010 at 10:38 PM.
tinkerr1163 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.