Best mower for steep hill/ditch? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 07-13-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
TravisL
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35976
Default Best mower for steep hill/ditch?

I've got a nasty little ditch, it's not that big but pretty darn steep. I've been able to mow 90 percent of it with my 318 w/ 46" deck, but the front end does try to slide down and frankly it is rather unsafe. I could weight it down and do better perhaps, but it really is kind of hard on the deck getting through it. Any ideas? I seriously am thinking about an old snapper RER, maybe put some chains and weight it down? I'd really like to consider buying a zero turn with a larger deck than the 318 but I know there is no possible way one would mow this darn ditch I've got. Push mowing is is impractical as well, it'll slide down the bank and its to long to go down and up 3000x.
TravisL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 03:18 AM   #2
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439
Default Re: Best mower for steep hill/ditch?

If your sliding it sounds too dangerous to me.
My ideas:
1. Weed eater, some of them have fussy carburators and stinky emissions.
2. Weed eater 4 legged and it goes ba aa aa. No fussy carburators, they might eat your homework and turn them into stinky emissions and leave a few little brown momentos here and there.
3. Let it go back to nature
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVFE02NTgU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zdO4JuKEiw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJMEDJVDro0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy0B7M03U-E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r59AWfhwpPg
Pictured:79 Mustang Pace car 5.0 4sp that I sold in 1990. Toro 520xi 60" side, 42" rear discharge decks & Berco 40" blower, (2) Toro 266-H, Toro 117 Groundsmaster, Toro 724z making into pull type. WTB Toro 5xi front wheels & 2 Toro/WH 42" rear discharge decks.
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
KHodges
AKA Moses Lawnagan

MTF Member # 23296

Pictures would help, but it sounds like the ditch is too steep for a riding machine. A RER like an old Snapper would be the last thing I'd try to mow a ditch with. If a push mower can't do it, it's time to suck it up and get a string trimmer. It might take a while, depending on the size of the ditch, but would be the safest. I have a ditch in front of my house, along the highway, that I have to trim this way. It's about 75 feet, takes me maybe 15-20 minutes with a string trimmer.
Power Flow and MC519 cart
LP RTR0550 rototiller
?? 60" box blade
Simplicity 10" plow adapted to 3-pt hitch
45 FEL

'02 JD GT235, 48C deck

'86 JD 214, 46" deck

I've always had a problem with kleptomania.
When it gets really bad, I take something for it.
KHodges is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
Nouveau Redneck
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 19566

Get a small push mower and connect it to the 318 via rope or cables so you can just drive the 318 forward and backward on the flat ground near the ditch, and you let out a little more rope or cable on each pass so the push mower does a new section of the ditch incline on each pass.

My dad did sort of the same thing with a short steep hill that we had in our back yard when I was a kid. He tied a rope to the rear of the deck, between the rear wheels of our push mower, and he stood on the flat ground at the top of the hill and lowered and raised the mower up and down the hill over and over, moving over the width of the mower each time. I always thought that it would be quicker to tie the rope to the side of the deck and walk back and forth along the length of the top edge of the hill, letting out a little more rope on each pass.
2008 John Deere X500
2010 John Deere X304
2014 Kubota BX25D w/50" snow blower

You know you might be a Nouveau Redneck if...
1. You use the cup holder on your tractor to hold your cosmopolitan instead of a beer
2. You're "Santa on a tractor" Christmas yard decoration is actually a high tech digital hologram.
3. Your deer camp cuisine is better than most 3 star restaurants.
Nouveau Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
Mower_Man42
A semi-retired senior cit

MTF Member # 114

Get a commercial walk behind mower, they come in all different deck sizes, you`ll get a oil pump and filter with one. Or save your 318 for the other areas and get a good used commercial walk behind, they are out there. A gear/belt drive would be alright as long as you don`t try to pull a sulky with it, while on that slope. You may even be able to find a good used one that is a hydro, there better then the gear/belt drive.

Here`s an example on this page 2nd down from the top, I`d look for one equipped with a Kohler or Kawasaki or Honda motor, the Briggs would be alright if it had a oil filter and pump, not my favorite motor, only reason it`s not commercial grade where it life time hours could exceed 2000, with proper care.

A zero turn would be useless on a slope like your, there is only one zero turn mower thats made for slopes, its called the Gizmow, this zero turn comes with a steering wheel and a very high price tag. If you have never seen a Gizmow before this video is worth watching. Here`s the Gizmow in action, first video will show you how the caster wheel are controlled by the steering wheel, you may even notice that the front end tends to slide a little but it`s has better the other zero turn mowers out there that use motion control levers. I think the smallest deck size on a Gizmow is 52" largest is 61"

http://www.gizmow.com/videos-photos.htm

Or do this....... LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbmRexwgKaY

2008 Cyclone Rake Command Pro
1981 Wheel Horse C-85 with snow plow
1969 Case 444 PK with 44" mower deck
2009 Honda HRX hydro Drive 21" Versamow system.

2006 Scag Wildcat 52" cut 25hp Kawasaki
Mower_Man42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
john9001
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 45837

plant ground cover.
john9001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
Walt 2002
Senior MTF Poster

MTF Member # 1229

Quote:
Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
plant ground cover.
Best idea, Crown Vetch.

"Get a small push mower and connect it to the 318 via rope or cables so you can just drive the 318 forward and backward on the flat ground near the ditch, and you let out a little more rope or cable on each pass so the push mower does a new section of the ditch incline on each pass."

I've seen this done, use a 2 stroke such as a Lawn Boy.

"you`ll get a oil pump and filter with one. "

Always amazes me how people think an engine with an oil pump will magically pull oil out of thin air.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
davidg
The Travelin' Mod

MTF Member # 807

another idea is to just spray it. use 2,4-d or some other broad leaf herbicide to knock down the worst weeds but let grass grow. you don't want to let it go bare as it will wash out. i cut as far as comfortable into the ditch along my property, then the rest i just let it go. the first couple years at this house i used roundup on it monthly, then started to notice erosion. so now i am letting it grow wild for a couple years to let some hackberry trees fill the sides. i also found out this year that i have a large section with dewberries in it, i could not keep my wife and daughters out of them when they were fruiting!

davidg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
bamataco
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 7458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouveau Redneck View Post
Get a small push mower and connect it to the 318 via rope or cables so you can just drive the 318 forward and backward on the flat ground near the ditch, and you let out a little more rope or cable on each pass so the push mower does a new section of the ditch incline on each pass.

My dad did sort of the same thing with a short steep hill that we had in our back yard when I was a kid. He tied a rope to the rear of the deck, between the rear wheels of our push mower, and he stood on the flat ground at the top of the hill and lowered and raised the mower up and down the hill over and over, moving over the width of the mower each time. I always thought that it would be quicker to tie the rope to the side of the deck and walk back and forth along the length of the top edge of the hill, letting out a little more rope on each pass.
I've seen the exact same thing done and was about to suggest it my self. This I would think is the safest way to do it.
bamataco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
LLigetfa
standard issue neuralyzer

MTF Member # 15283

Time to get one of these remote controlled tracked mowers.

http://www.remotecontrolledmower.com...ope-mower.html

Old 07-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
gray wolf
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 40073

ground cover.and forget about it .before you wind up .with the machine on top of you.
gray wolf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
esnb74
Desk by Day/Shop by Night

MTF Member # 43409

VenTrac: http://ventrac.com/
CC 1250 (IHC 966 Tribute build) http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=241860
Farmall H (One of the many Farmall's I grew up with)

Ford Mustang (64.5)
-
Past Equipment: JD 316, JD 318, JD 757 Ztrak, IHC 1100A Pickup, CC 3235

Remember: Freedom Isn't Free!
esnb74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
TravisL
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35976

I'll try to get pics sometime. It's not overly wide, 3 passes on the steep side and its done, one of which feels safe, the other two not so much. It is roughly 180' long, and is a street side ditch, the street side is steep while it tapers much much softer into my yard. I'll do some looking into good ground cover though, it cant grow up in weeds the city wont allow it even though they are the ones that screwed it up.
TravisL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
Gray
Banned

MTF Member # 41016

My Simplicity Pacer will mow that if you are slipping but barely getting through it. There is a Warning Decal "This mower will climb hills that it is not safe to be on".

I had a ditch similar to yours. One end was like vertical. Other end easier. I mowed what was easy. Then switched to weed wakker. That was faster than trying to squeeze every last bit out of the mower. Use the wakker.

I can't see buying a special mower for a ditch - do what's safe, then use the wakker.

Another EASY method is the old push reel mower - once you get through the first time, it is easy second time. Lightweight, safe, and the hill will propel it for you.
People don't know these mowers. They buy them, use them once, and sell them. Get a really old one - new ones are junk tin. Learn how to set it up. They are almost effortless after the first mow - people fail because on the first mow, they cut too short in the sheath area of the grass. (effectively scalping)
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
LLigetfa
standard issue neuralyzer

MTF Member # 15283

Put a side boom pole on the rider and attach an old walk behind rotary push mower to the boom with chains. Then just drive back and forth extending the boom out further each time. An old 2-cycle Lawboy is perfect for that as you don't have to worry about oil level in the crankcase. Just keep the carb on the downhill side so it gets fuel.

A 4-cycle engle on an extreme slope can whip up the oil into a foam.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.