John Deere 425 needs 3 pt hitch - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM   post #1 of 5
Phat Phydeaux
MTF Member

MTF Member # 47436
Default John Deere 425 needs 3 pt hitch

Ok here comes another newbie asking the same questions as hunderdes before him. I have recently bought a place with a couple of acers of orchard, vineyards and garden spot. Also a JD 425 with a 54" mowing deck and turf tires are there waiting to be put to work.

From my limited reading on this forum I'm guessing the Ruegg Cat 0/1 is the 3pt hitch would be the best choice to use with the 425. Here are the questions on my mind:

1. Do I need weights when using some attachments? If so front or rear of tractor and with what attachments?

2. What size plow is recommended for this tractor?

3. What size disc is recommended for this tractor?

4. Best brand, size, type etc... of attachemnts to buy and where?

Thanks in advance,

Garry
Phat Phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 03:29 PM   post #2 of 5
Wasper
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 42421
Default Re: John Deere 425 needs 3 pt hitch

Hi,

I recently bought the Ruegg Cat 0/1 hitch for my 445 and it is a very well made, robust piece. I recommend it. I will say though, the instructions that come with it leave little to be desired. So, you may have a bit of head scratching going on if your new to 3 pt hitches (like myself). If you find yourself stuck, post on here and others will help you out (or PM me, since I just installed one and it is still pretty fresh in my mind).

Weight.... I'm pondering that myself. I would say loading your rear tires should be your first step. There are many threads on here explaining the procedure. Second would be rear wheel weights. Having the loaded tires and wheel weights will be important, because if your going to be using a 3 pt attachment, you need that extra down force on your drive axle. I guess a couple of suitcase weights in the front will help with keeping the front on the ground for steering purposes.(or if you can leave a front attachment such as a plow on, so that can work as a counter balance to the rear attachment).

I would say nothing bigger then a 54" plow, maybe 60" tops (I personally would stay at 54" tops).

For the size of the rear implements... I would say to try and stick to four foot models. I truly believe anything bigger would be to much for the tractor. This especially holds true if the soil is very hard and if there is a lot of rocks or roots in the soil. Although the 425/445/455 model tractors are nice Garden Tractors, they are not full sized tractors and have their limitations. Anything bigger then 4', I think it would stop you in your tracks if you hit a good rock or root (even the 4' size might do that, so be prepared).

Best brand is all subjective and is based on mostly opinion and the size of the person's wallet. Type will be dependent on what your looking to do with you tractor. And, where to buy.. well that all depends on what you need and how much your willing to spend. If you let us know what types of attachments your looking for, then people can start chiming in where the best deals are.

Wasper
Wasper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 09:22 AM   post #3 of 5
jwill1776
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33215

Wasper had some good points for you, just a few more thoughts:

1. Additional weight will make it much easier to use most attachments.

2. When you asked about a plow were you referring to a front / rear blade or a moldboard plow? If moldboard look for a 12 , Brinly made some 3 point models that still can be found on Craiglist, they work really well when set up properly. The sleeve hitch models are much more common but you would have to buy an adapter to use it on a 3 point.

3. Disc 4 max. The older double gang models are the ones to look for, often you will have to add some weight to them to be effective.

4. Im partial to Brinly, they still make the new stuff for JD, but have discontinued the 3 point stuff under the Brinly name. There are plenty of other good names out there like Land Pride, King Kutter, Northern Tool has a good selection of generic stuff on their website.

Jeff
Brinly 12" Single Bottom Plow
Brinly 60" Rear Blade
jwill1776 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM   post #4 of 5
Phat Phydeaux
MTF Member

MTF Member # 47436

Thanks Wasper, I read your thread on adding the 3ph it was great stuff. Also read the 8 page thread on filling tires with fluid weight for tractions That one had me wondering about running speeds while mowing, got to investigate that some more. So far I like to cut as fast a possible and don't want to wreck the tranny, axels, bearing etc.

Thanks for the reply jwill1776, that would be a bottom plow like a moldboard, forgot that some guys up country call a blade that pushes snow a plow also. Guess that's because down South we don't see enough snow in a year to need one for that purpose and just call it a blade. In fact in the real South "Lower Alabama", we use to call blades, a grader blade on the front and scapper blade on the back.

I'm looking for attachments to use in the garden with sandy type soil. If I find plows disc, etc setup for Sleave Hitches where can I find 3 point addaptors?

Last edited by Phat Phydeaux; 07-08-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Phat Phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 01:57 PM   post #5 of 5
Wasper
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 42421

Ha!!

Being from the "up country", I thought your were indeed asking about a blade for snow.. my bad!... yeah a 54" moldboard would be a tad large... lol

Um, you know.. I just read that thread about looking for an adapter for a snow blade, and someone linked to a company that looks like they have what your asking about.

Go to http://www.alzwelding.com/sellfolio.html

At the main menu, go to "other attachments". You can buy that whole set-up for $175 + shipping. It looks like you get the 3-pt hitch adapter that can hold up to 6 suitcase weights. And, you also get that welded box that will accept sleeve hitch implements. That can essentially "kill two birds with one stone".. you get your adaptor and your weight bracket in one fell swoop!

Also, if you go that route.. you can just buy the cheaper cat "0" hitch from Ruegg, since you'd be using that cat 0 adapter and sleeve hitch implements.

Heck.... that set-up looks promising for me to.... hmmmm... I may have to look into the cost of the sleeve implements now...
Wasper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.