cub cadet 2130 pto clutch replaced and still wont engage - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 07-06-2010, 08:38 PM   post #1 of 16
sbw
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 47435
Default cub cadet 2130 pto clutch replaced and still wont engage

I am hoping you could give me a couple steps to try after buying two clutchs in an attempt to fix why the blades will not engage on this tractor.

- replacing the clutch with a 5217-42 and 5217-9, neither worked and they were supposed to be OEM Warner replacement.

- measuring the resistance of the clutch, I think I got <4 from the new clutch. This would be DC correct? (I gotta admit Im pretty bad at this)

- Energizing the clutch to listen for it engaging with a source off the positive terminal.
(This I just cannot hear)

- Could the switch itself be bad?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
sbw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 06:24 AM   post #2 of 16
rcbe
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 439
Default Re: cub cadet 2130 pto clutch replaced and still wont engage

when checking PTO coil resistance, do not have any power connected to the PTO and set your voltmeter to the lowest Ohms scale. The PTO mfgr should have the correct resistance reading values posted online.. Insert both voltmeter probes into the PTO pigtail connector. The voltmeter itself will provide test power from it's internal battery.

When providing 12 volts directly from battery, might also have to provide a temporary ground from the clutch's pigtail connector to the battery's ground post.
Another test is to set your voltmeter to measure 12 volts DC and - with an assistant's help, turn ign sw on - do NOT start engine - turn PTO sw to ON position. If you read 12volts at the connector coming from the main wire harness normally hooking to the PTO pigtail (have it unhookedfor this test), PTO sw and related circuit wires are OK. If not, most likely PTO sw is bad.
When checking this, make sure both voltmeter probe leads are contacting both of the two connector internal pins. If you see your voltmeter trying to register a negative off-scale reading, simply reverse lead connections. Good luck.
rcbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 04:02 PM   post #3 of 16
Raisin
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 10155

Looking at the wiring diagram its looks like 12vdc goes thru the ign switch directly to the PTO. The grounding of the PTO coil goes thru the PTO switch and safety switches. A problem with the seat sw and reverse sw will stop the pto from working.
Raisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 05:19 PM   post #4 of 16
WNYTractorTinkerer
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 26264
Garage
Icon2 Re: cub cadet 2130 pto clutch replaced and still wont engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisin View Post
Looking at the wiring diagram its looks like 12vdc goes thru the ign switch directly to the PTO. The grounding of the PTO coil goes thru the PTO switch and safety switches. A problem with the seat sw and reverse sw will stop the pto from working.
Another thing in the circuit besides the seat switch is the reverse switch and then the PTO relay.. (usual culprit) unplucg all connections and give them a good cleaning as sometimes this will solve the problem.. Buy a spare PTO relay if you will be keeping this tractor.. (only ~$14)

Can You see the Real me?
WNYTractorTinkerer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 02:58 PM   post #5 of 16
sbw
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 47435

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbe View Post
when checking PTO coil resistance, do not have any power connected to the PTO and set your voltmeter to the lowest Ohms scale. The PTO mfgr should have the correct resistance reading values posted online.. Insert both voltmeter probes into the PTO pigtail connector. The voltmeter itself will provide test power from it's internal battery.

When providing 12 volts directly from battery, might also have to provide a temporary ground from the clutch's pigtail connector to the battery's ground post.
Another test is to set your voltmeter to measure 12 volts DC and - with an assistant's help, turn ign sw on - do NOT start engine - turn PTO sw to ON position. If you read 12volts at the connector coming from the main wire harness normally hooking to the PTO pigtail (have it unhookedfor this test), PTO sw and related circuit wires are OK. If not, most likely PTO sw is bad.
When checking this, make sure both voltmeter probe leads are contacting both of the two connector internal pins. If you see your voltmeter trying to register a negative off-scale reading, simply reverse lead connections. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply, Im going to test this and report back. I did not think I was getting power through the wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTractorTinkerer View Post
Another thing in the circuit besides the seat switch is the reverse switch and then the PTO relay.. (usual culprit) unplucg all connections and give them a good cleaning as sometimes this will solve the problem.. Buy a spare PTO relay if you will be keeping this tractor.. (only ~$14)
I'll try cleaning this as well
Old 09-26-2010, 02:31 PM   post #6 of 16
sbw
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 47435

So Im bring this thread back from the dead for an update. I tested the switch and theres no power coming from the pto switch pigtail that plugs into the clutch. I've ordered a new switch and hopefully that will take care of it since a new battery didn't take care of it.

It needed a newbattery anyway so thats not a big deal.

Thanks for the guidance guys, I appreciate it and I'll keep this updated.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 PM   post #7 of 16
WNYTractorTinkerer
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 26264
Garage
Question Re: cub cadet 2130 pto clutch replaced and still wont engage

No power @ the switch's plug anywhere?? You should have supply power from the RUN circuit to energize the clutch circuit.. Follow the red or yellow wire and look for a blown fuse or broken wire if not.. Let us know how you make out.. :good:

Can You see the Real me?
WNYTractorTinkerer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 11:14 PM   post #8 of 16
am122
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 1780

There is a black relay that I replaced on mine to fix the same problem.
am122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 07:34 AM   post #9 of 16
Sam Mac
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 34571

The wiring on a 2130 supplies power to the PTO whenever the engine is running or the key is on. The switch supplies the ground not the power. PM me and I'll e-mail you the wiring diagram or you can download it form the Cub web site in the manuals section. Had the same issue with a 2165. Turned out to be the relay was bad.
Sam Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2010, 03:03 PM   post #10 of 16
sbw
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 47435

Yup, replaced the switch and still nothing. I'll PM you SAM, anything you can supply to help would be great. I think I see the relay you guys are talking about and Im thinking that might be the next thing inline to try replacing.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:06 PM   post #11 of 16
sbw
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 47435

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTractorTinkerer View Post
No power @ the switch's plug anywhere?? You should have supply power from the RUN circuit to energize the clutch circuit.. Follow the red or yellow wire and look for a blown fuse or broken wire if not.. Let us know how you make out.. :good:
Im gonna look for a broken fuse again. I already looked and couldn't find anything. I dont believe any wires are broken but Im going to double check that again too.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:22 PM   post #12 of 16
sbw
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 47435

Im suspecting the relay at this point. So this is a switched ground?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:48 PM   post #13 of 16
sbw
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 47435

Oh wow, you guys rock. It was the relay, I just ran down to advance auto parts, grabbed one and tested it with the wire testers after the new relay and I got the 12v at the end of the pigtail.

My god, who let me buy two new PTO clutches in an attempt to get this fixed?

LOL anybody need a PTO clutch?
Old 10-02-2010, 06:00 PM   post #14 of 16
Sam Mac
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 34571

Glad you got it working. Sent you a PM. If you want the wiring diagram let me know. Cheaper to test than to replace everything for nothing.
Sam Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 03:16 PM   post #15 of 16
oldgreentractor
MTF Member

MTF Member # 198922

hey guys , just picked this one up with the same problem. Hopefully it's just a relay on this one too!
If I get this one cutting , i'll be in search of the head light assy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00V0V_4Sdaicrm4ts_600x450.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	785817  
oldgreentractor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.