Help - Briggs & Stratton 135200 series Will Not Start - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 07-05-2010, 03:28 PM   post #1 of 23
dburkard
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 47369
Default Will Not Start/fire more than once - Briggs & Stratton 135200 series

Briggs & Stratton 135202-1127-e1 (ybsxs.2061.hc 274679)

It is a 5 hp single cylinder L head mounted on a Snapper tiller ... it has run flawlessly for 8 years (other than hard to restart when hot) ran it out of gas the last use ... filled it up and not it will not start ... it will fire once (one pop) and with that pop sometimes send flame out the carb every 1 in 10+ pulls, but nothing close to actually catching ...

We have done the following: refilled the oil level to full, removed air filter (same results), added gas directly in carb (same results), pulled spark plug cleaned it and brushed the contacts (same results multiple times), used starter fluid in the carb (same results multiple times) ... every 1 in 10+ pulls it will fire one pop and with that pop sometimes send flame out the carb, but nothing close to actually catching ... ideas, help?

Last edited by dburkard; 07-05-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: details
dburkard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 03:56 PM   post #2 of 23
bstrucker
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 18659
Default Re: Help - Briggs & Stratton 135200 series Will Not Start

It sounds like your exhaust valve is stuck open or possibly it part way sheared a flywheel key but if you haven't had the flywheel off lately I don't see why.
bstrucker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 04:00 PM   post #3 of 23
DLF_IN
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 1844

Could be a sheared fly wheel key. I have seen those engines on tillers partially shear the key when they hit a rock or root. Since you have been having a hard time starting while hot,that is the first thing I would check.
Dave
DLF_IN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 04:06 PM   post #4 of 23
dburkard
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 47369

would the 'pull' sound or feel different with a flywheel key problem? The flywheel has never been opened ... I can look for instructions and pull that apart and look at it ...

NOTE: when the tiller has hit something too big/strong in the past it usually just dies (kills the engine) as it is only a 5hp 24" rear tine operating at 6000 feet ...
Old 07-05-2010, 05:11 PM   post #5 of 23
Fcubman
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 18953

The sudden stop as the engine is stalled is what shears the flywheel key. That keeps the flywheel from breaking things, like the crankshaft itself. I agree - check the key!

Living in The Land Of The Free - because of The Brave!
Fcubman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 05:52 PM   post #6 of 23
bstrucker

MTF Member # 18659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcubman View Post
The sudden stop as the engine is stalled is what shears the flywheel key. That keeps the flywheel from breaking things, like the crankshaft itself. I agree - check the key!
I've seen that happen on a mower but I've never seen it happen on a tiller.If you get the starter ratchet off of it you should be able to see it without removing the flywheel.On an engine with Magnetron ignition,it needs to be sheared pretty far for it to not start.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 PM   post #7 of 23
H-D
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 34425

A valve sticking would reduce the compression enough to feel the change, but that was my first thought too. Flywheel key is a way cheap try, plus you can clean out the fins around the valve pocket area while you're in there. Last one I dealt with a stuck valve on had these fins totally blocked with tilled dirt!
H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 08:28 PM   post #8 of 23
38racing

MTF Member # 25899

i had the the retainer come off the exhaust valve on my tiller. it just died and would not start.
38racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 09:44 PM   post #9 of 23
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

Pull the starter very slowly and feel if it has any compression. If you feel compression, add a little gas to the carb intake and try to start it. If you don't feel much compression, remove the plug and add a tablespoon of oil to the cylinder. If it now starts, you know you have a compression problem, most likely insufficient intake valve clearance, not an uncommon problem on a tiller. Generally, a sheared key with electronic ignition will advance the timing so much it will pull the starter rope right out of your hand. If you do have a leaky intake valve, the engine will start more easily with the air filter removed, reinstall it once (if) you get it running. This is most likely worth fixing, as that is an excellent tiller, better than anything you can buy today.
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 05:47 PM   post #10 of 23
dburkard
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 47369

It is a magento engine:

I have the air filter off ... I have poured gas into the carb (as well as starter fluid) and after it blows most of it back out the carb for 5 or so pulls then I get flame/pops like it is trying to start for the next 3 to 5 pulls, but never more then a couple pops. I have removed the spark plug and cleaned it and poured gas (as well as starter fluid)direct into the chamber with the same results ...

First question to bstrucker -> is the flywheel key the part that is "in" the magneto sticking out towards the fly wheel? If so it is still there and there is a small gap of a millimeter or 2 between the pin and the flywheel ... If that is not the key, then where do I find it exactly? (I have the parts list with diagrams, and it shows the fly wheel key in the diagram as the magento, but does not show where it actually sits ...

2nd question is that when I put gas in the carburetor or starting fluid I get flame / 'pops' like it wants to try to start after 5 or so pulls and then the pops stop after a couple of pulls ... it almost seems like i am not getting any inflow of gas into the carb/combustion chamber ...? When I ran it out of gas perhaps gunk in the bottom of the tank clogged something .... I have hesitated to take the carb off as there are a lot of connections etc and I did not want to be have a problem reattaching it as I do not have the repair manual for the engine ...

3rd question to rscurtis -> I have not tried to pour oil direct into the chamber ... if I do this how much and any particular weight oil??
Old 07-06-2010, 06:35 PM   post #11 of 23
scoyt
MTF Member

MTF Member # 31382

Sounds like you sheared a flywheel key to me
scoyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 08:00 PM   post #12 of 23
bstrucker

MTF Member # 18659

Your flywheel key is what locates the flywheel to the crankshaft,you have to take the starter ratchet off to see it,the ratchet is what holds the flywheel on the crankshaft.There are special tools to hold the flywheel so you can turn the ratchet off,you might be able to get it off without them but you'll need them to tighten the ratchet when you put it back on.With the ratchet and washer off you can see the keyway in the crank and corresponding keyway in the flyweel,that slot holds the keyway.You should be able to see if it's out of alignment.

I'm still leaning towards a valve that is sticking or like someone else said,a keeper that came off of a valve stem.If it's popping pretty regularly out the intake when you put gas in the carb,then the intake valve is probably open.If the intake valve is open that would also be why your not pulling fuel into the cylinder,you need the negative pressure in the intake tract to operate the diaphragm in the carb that pumps the fuel.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 PM   post #13 of 23
dburkard
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 47369

THe flywheel key is intact and I am getting good 'spark at the spark plug. Looks like it is the valve or something in the carb / chamber ... any advice of what specifically to do / check?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:20 PM   post #14 of 23
bstrucker

MTF Member # 18659

The simplest thing to do is take the head off,all you need to do is take the eight bolts out that hold it on and it'll come right off.You may need to put a new head gasket on it to put it back together,they cost about $5 from a B&S dealer.With the head off check turn the engine over and see if both valves are opening and closing,if they are the next thing to check is,when each valve is open try to lift it,there should be spring tension holding them in,if one or the other comes out you have a broken spring or retainer.If that checks out ok,turn the engine over again until both valves are closed and the piston is at the top of the cylinder,take your thumb and put pressure on the valve and try to turn it.If the valve turns it's not seating completely and will need to be lapped and reset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 PM   post #15 of 23
Fcubman
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 18953

Sounds like the intake valve isn't sealing. I second bstrucker's advice.

Living in The Land Of The Free - because of The Brave!
Fcubman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.