Stihl MS250 leaks bar oil? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Tool Time Tool questions and discussions

Old 06-28-2010, 09:55 PM   post #1 of 7
johndeere
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 207
Default Stihl MS250 leaks bar oil?

I recently bought a Stihl MS250 chainsaw.I notice it leaks a little bar oil when sitting?Is this normal?Reason I ask is because my other saw a Craftsman always leaked bar oil real bad.But that was a cheap $100.00 saw.The Stihl only leaks a little not a puddle like the Craftsman.But I paid over $300.00 for this one.Should I take it in and more then likley have to wait a lkong time to get it back.Or is it normal for it to leak a little?Every chainsaw I have ever owned has had this same problem.That why I am unclear if it is normal.
johndeere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 PM   post #2 of 7
motobike
Happy To Be Here

MTF Member # 36969
Default Re: Stihl MS250 leaks bar oil?

All of my saws drip a little if not used for a while, some more than others.

We don't quit playing because we got old; we get old because we quit playing.
motobike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 10:20 PM   post #3 of 7
ggsteve
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 9436
Garage

My Poulan leaks bar oil badly when sitting. Please tell me what you think of the MS250 overall. I'm planning on buying one soon. I want to get a MS250 with 18" bar and two chains. How does it compare to the Craftsman, or, as I have heard, is there really no comparison?
69 JD 110H 37A blower 50 cart
71 JD 140H3 integral hitch 54" 4-way blade 46" deck cozy cab
71 JD 140H1
72 JD 110 parts
78 JD 316 49 blower
81 JD 317 Onan JB Sr. 46" deck 80 Cart
84 JD 214 39 deck 43 blade

Toro 212-5 36" blower
74 Concord (MTD) 990
12 cu. ft. poly cart, JD front dethatcher, plug aerator, drop spreader, box blade, 10" bottom plow, sweeper
ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 PM   post #4 of 7
johndeere
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsteve View Post
My Poulan leaks bar oil badly when sitting. Please tell me what you think of the MS250 overall. I'm planning on buying one soon. I want to get a MS250 with 18" bar and two chains. How does it compare to the Craftsman, or, as I have heard, is there really no comparison?
My Craftsman is a Poulan and it served me OK for about 5 years.Was getting hard to start and the Goofy gas cap had to be threaded in with pliers.It always leaked bar oil like the Exon Valdez.It came with a free case and im sure thats why.To catch all the bar oil.

The MS250 I bought it because I had some storm damage and was aggrivated with both the mess that needed cleaned up and the Craftsman.So I went on the spare of the moment and got what the dealer had.I knew I wanted a Stihl and I wanted a 16'' bar.I could have saved some money and went with the basic 14'' model forget the model number.But my Craftsman was a 16'' and I did not want anything smaller.I also did not want anything bigger.

The MS250 is a animal compared to the Sears.Although there both 16'' saws the chain is wider on the Stihl and I never felt like the Sears ever really cut well.Seemed to me I always had to push and rock it to get it to cut.Even with a new chain.The Stihl does the work you just hold on.The difference is like a sharpe chain Vs a dull chain.But even with a new chain on the Craftsman.

My MS250 has a 16'' bar I think most have a 18'' it also has the fast tension adjuster cover.Many do not like that but for my occasional use I did not care.It also has the Easy Start coil start.I would have just assume it not have that.It works OK but just feels strange.To pull the rope and there be a delay in the engine cranking.

What I like the most about it is it starts very easy.Full choke one pull it fires then release the choke and it starts on the second or third pull every time.Plus comes right to life no spitting or sputtering and cutting out or dieing.

My only concern is the slight bar oil leakage from sitting.
johndeere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 11:29 PM   post #5 of 7
shamrock12
MTF Member

MTF Member # 3740

It's normal. All of my Stihl saws drip a bit over time. That is why I drain the oil tank when being stored away for extensive period of time, especially when there is winter grade oil in it. Because if you don't, it will leak oil like crazy in summer weather.
shamrock12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 PM   post #6 of 7
junebug1701
MTF Member

MTF Member # 42627

I just bought a Poulan Pro with 18" bar and the owner's manual says to drain the bar oil when not in use. Never heard that before.
junebug1701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 AM   post #7 of 7
RaisedByWolves
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!

MTF Member # 41447

Loosen your oil cap when you store the saw.

http://houseofhomelite.proboards.com/index.cgi?

POWERKING "79" 2416
ECONOMY "64" JD
KUBOTA 4200
"68" JD 140 H-3
And a restored JD318
RaisedByWolves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.