kohler 25 not charging need help diagnosing - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 06-23-2010, 08:05 PM   post #1 of 3
doubleDD
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 36869
Default kohler 25 not charging need help diagnosing

I have a Grasshopper 725 with a kohler command 25 hp engine. I just overhaulled it//runs great, but will not charge the battery. i just put a new bat in it thinking that was the prob.......not!!!
According to the manual, I was to test the voltage (ac) across the stator leads on the rectifier/regulator(RR) with engine at full speed. If I had 28 volts or more, the stator was ok and the RR was faulty. O reading. The manual states if less than 28 volts the stator is prob faulty and to continue to test with an ohm meter, first measuring accross the leads, no ohms meaning stator is open and bad. Second measuring each stator lead to ground (common terminal on RR). On one side, I had 2 to 3 ohms meaning the stator is shorted to ground, but on the other side I had no ohms, meaning the stator is ok. It is the mixed results which throw me. It does not account for this in the manual. I natually do not want to tear it down again and spend 60 plus $ if that is not the prob.
I also thought it is less likely that the RR is bad, but again, do not want to proceed without a little more confidence in the diagnosis.
Anyone experience this???? thoughts and comments.
thanks
dd
doubleDD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 PM   post #2 of 3
G-1
Senior Tinkerer

MTF Member # 43157
Default Re: kohler 25 not charging need help diagnosing

dd, Your ohmmeter results are consistent with an open stator; you read 2-3 ohms between one stator lead and ground, then read an open between the other lead and ground. So, somewhere the winding is broken and touching ground. The lead that reads open is the end that is simply not touching ground.

Once you get it out, there is a chance the break is in a place where you can fix it. We have to have high hopes, right?
G-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 11:06 PM   post #3 of 3
doubleDD
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 36869
Default Re: kohler 25 not charging need help diagnosing

G-1, thanks for the reply. High hopes ya I can have them, as long as I don't think of the odds!!!!!
This time of the year, I would hate to break it down and find it was not in a place where I could fix it, and then have to wait for the part.

again, thanks
dd
doubleDD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.