My Tractor Forum banner

318 vs 345

25K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  MarkT 
#1 ·
Hello JD fans. I am a seasoned Simplicity owner with 3 Simplicity garden tractors in my collection. I usually do my posting in that forum. However, I have the opportunity to add a little green to my orange collection. I have been looking at both a 318 and a 345 as possible purchases. I want to keep the purchase price below $2000. The primary duties would be mowing a 2 acre lot. At some time in the future I will add a Johnnie Bucket which is why I am looking at tractors with power steering. I like the foot operated hydraulic with the 345, but I also like the full front/rear hydraulics for attachments on the 318. Are used attachments more readily available for one over the other? Are there maintenance issues? I have heard about the plastice cams on the 345.

Bottom line, I would appreciate some opinions on which one is the better unit to purchase.

Thanks
Mark

#3 ·
If you are using it primarily for mowing as you say, you are going to want the 345. Much newer and better ergonomics than a 318 and also better cutting deck.

#4 ·
I have never used a 345, but here is my 2 cents.

I would have to say the 318.

Probably not as good for mowing because of the lack of a foot hydro & the old style deck. But I don't mind at all. I think the deck cuts fine and I don't mind the hand hydro. I just think you get use to whatever you have.

Attachments, hydraulics, parts, etc... - no question = 318.

Sorry, I know I'm not much help.

#5 ·
You'd think I'd automatically vote for the 318 on this.........and you'd be right! If you are being cost concious then the 318 and the attachments (which there are plenty of) will be cheaper. If you're looking just for future use with an FEL I understand where the foot control would be better!

#6 ·
If you were going to mow, blow snow and do misc work like that I think the 345 is a better choice.

I use mine with a sleeve hitch, blower, blade, trailer and jerk trees around with it. Its PRIMARY function is mowing 3 acres though.

I think for serious work and a FEL the 318 would be better. But there is no doubt the more modern ergonomics of the 345 is going to be more comfortable to do normal duty stuff with.

Both are good rigs. I think a 318 you can rebuild forever.

#7 · (Edited)
Having run both a lot, if mowing is a priority a 345 will absolutely blow the doors off a 318
. More power, faster, roomier, smoother, better cutting deck, etc. The Johnny Bucket or loader is the only thing where a 318 will excel.

It's kind of funny as the old 300's (316, 318, 322, etc) have almost become sainted on forums such as these. For any of us that were around when they were new or had to service them, we remember the fun stuff, such as:
- steering valves that wear out and cost $400 to replace
- transmissions that you CANNOT adjust the neutral creep out of
- weak 46 and 50" decks.
- mule-drive deck belt. Hard on belts, no fun to take off, and inefficient.
- hand control hydro. The only folks that like it are one's that refuse to drive a newer model
- cramped quarters and a steering wheel in the gutn
- Onan engines. Tough, but far from a L/C Kaw. Ever change the starter on a Onan? Pull the engine.
- fun electrical systems, with the much loved Time Delay Control module. Corrosion? It adds to the fun.

Look, I love all JD's. But sometimes the newer is better.

#11 ·
Having run both a lot, if mowing is a priority a 345 will absolutely blow the doors off a 318
. More power, faster, roomier, smoother, better cutting deck, etc. The Johnny Bucket or loader is the only thing where a 318 will excel.

It's kind of funny as the old 300's (316, 318, 322, etc) have almost become sainted on forums such as these. For any of us that were around when they were new or had to service them, we remember the fun stuff, such as:
- steering valves that wear out and cost $400 to replace
- transmissions that you CANNOT adjust the neutral creep out of
- weak 46 and 50" decks.
- mule-drive deck belt. Hard on belts, no fun to take off, and inefficient.
- hand control hydro. The only folks that like it are one's that refuse to drive a newer model
- cramped quarters and a steering wheel in the gutn
- Onan engines. Tough, but far from a L/C Kaw. Ever change the starter on a Onan? Pull the engine.
- fun electrical systems, with the much loved Time Delay Control module. Corrosion? It adds to the fun.

Look, I love all JD's. But sometimes the newer is better.
Great summary of the pros & cons Engine Tech, - a very good educational writeup, from experience.

- I would like to know why the 318 mower decks, are considered weak ??
(I have a 50" deep deck that came with my 318 purchase - but I mow with my GT262 & 48" deck, leaving the 318 for snow duties)

- got to agree, Kawa. are great engines + liquid cooled is a bonus

----------------------
Beaumont { :>))
--------------------------------------------------------------------
www.petperfectexpress.com
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

#8 ·
Thanks guys for the opinions. Your comments have been helpful. I am leaning towards the 345 at this time, but if a 318 in great condition, good location and the right price came along, I could be persuaded. I am also thinking of my wife driving this from time to time. Although she doesn't mow, she would use it to pull around a cart to tend to her gardens & flowers. I think the ergonomics and the user friendly foot control along with the power steering would be better for her. Engine Tech, I appreciate the candor of your comments and it probably pushed me towards the 345. I understand what you are saying because I own 3 Simplicitys ranging in years from the early 70's to 2005. The newer models definitely have their user freindly advantages, eventhough the older models seem more rugged. Is that refinement or less quality? I'm sure we all could debate that over a couple of beers all night.

Thanks again
Mark

P.S. If anyone still wants to add their thoughts to this thread please do so.

#10 ·
The newer models definitely have their user freindly advantages, eventhough the older models seem more rugged. Is that refinement or less quality? I'm sure we all could debate that over a couple of beers all night.
Mark, the 345 is still plenty stout.

Besides the dutys I listed above I have used mine to clear our acreage. Last year it was totally covered. I had some excavation work done but I cut down at least 25 big trees and drug them around with the 345 to burn.

This is a 345.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep7WY__2K6I

#9 ·
318s also have power steering.

#17 ·
I know it's not one of your choices but the 400 series 430 or 455 are all business and are built like no other.. except the newer ones.
Explain yourself?

#13 ·
Please note the OP stated he wanted to stay below $2000.00. That was the comparison point that had to be kept in mind. He provided the two models to compare. I think you're going to find it hard to get a 345 in decent shape with any attachments for that price. Whereas you can get a 318 in decent shape and a blade or a blower or a 3pt setup for about $2000.00. No one is knocking the newer 345 or even newer series tractors! Certainly the foot control is a great advantage in running the tractor, no one is arguing it. And the older tractors do require some wrenching skill and patience. Just gives them some character (sometimes too much!!)!

#16 ·
MarkT said upfront that this machine had to be bought under $2000.

It is going to be hard to find a nice 345 "under $2000"

318's can be found cheaper than that. Yes they are older, and maybe more hours on most; but they can be rebuilt forever, with all the used parts around.

Both are good tractors, but that under $2000 is tough.

#19 ·
Guess we got hung up on machine vs machine and forgot price.

As said above to find a 345 for $2k is going to be hard if not impossible. You might have to settle for a haggered one to get one at that price. Around these parts an older 345 in good condition starts at about $2500 and goes up.

$2000 will buy a creampuff 318 that will give you years of service.

#20 ·
Thanks guys,
This has turned out to be an informative thread. I agree with PA318 that it will be hard to find a 345 below $2000 that is worth owning. I probably will have to bump that limit up a few hundred which also really opens up some pretty nice deals on a 318. One thing about the 345s is that they are newer and usually have less hours on them which should mean that I would have less maintenance & repairs. My two old Simplicitys keep me busy tending to their needs. I want something that this isn't going to require me to tinker with it everytime I use it. If it is your "hobby" tractor, you don't mind it, but if you are depending on it for weekly yard maintenance, that tinkering becomes old in a hurry. Keep the comments coming.
Mark

#21 ·
Many Opions; I have had both Still have a 335 and 2 318 . The facts that We have are like this . The onan engine is a 3000, hour plus engine, The Kawie, Is about 1500, hours engine, The kaw, maintenance is double on the onan. for exanple the air filter the the kaw. is half the onan size yet it costs more.I'm talking over the counter. Not EBAY shopping., We classafy the 325/335/345. as lawn tractors. The 300/314/316/318 fall in the Garden tractors; My wife mows most of our lawns meny achers, I had a collection of 38 tractors, Including 2 425 s Her favorite, mower was the 318. and I bought her a X300 that was a mistake so was the L130. she cut for a while on them , then back to the 318. And as you all know . the women is allways right, Hay take your wife have her cut a bit of grass. You will go home with the right one , a happy man.

#24 ·
The 318's hydro lever is on the dash that pull back and forth for forward and reverse. The 345 is controlled by foot pedal on your right foot.

#25 ·
Here is a picture. The hand hydro is the chrome handle with orange knob on the right side of the dash.

Attachments

#30 ·
Mark, I would agree that if you're looking to get a 345 you need to up your limit a bit. It should be less maintenance and a well maintained one will last your for a long time. The FEL will be easier to operate with a foot control, of that there is no doubt! I'll be interested to see what you end up with!

#31 ·
It reads like a 318 cult in here.... I personally would take the word of the guy who worked at a dealership and serviced the machines when they were new, over the opinions of people like myself (John or Jane Six Pack).

But at the end of the day my opinion is, they are both beasts :) One is a bit more ergo!

Beau,

Your dobie is precious! :)

#32 · (Edited)
ThkU Brett-JDX748 ----- for the dog complement re. our loving AMY / old girl now !!

She had a burger off the BBQ tonight & waits politely until it's cooked / most other times just lazing around, until its time to play.
Every morning my wife gets her a plain TimBit with our morning coffee - she's a little spoiled, but totally worth it / just how we like it.
AMY simply loves friends, family and vehicle rides and even gets mad if she misses the mailman's daily outside visit...Enjoy the pics. buddy.

--------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

#33 ·
Beau,

Yep Amy is a beautiful girl! My Dutchess also lives a very similar life :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.