tecumseh hh120 ignition system - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 PM   post #1 of 10
BillTheTractorMan
Tractor addict

MTF Member # 30045
Garage
Default tecumseh hh120 ignition system

My ss12 is not running correctly, it has the Tecumseh hh120 engine in it.

symptoms:

-It has to have some choke.
-no throttle, move it up and it dies.
-will not run for a very long, will not run for any length of time after that unless it sits for a while.

one of these I just had some experience with, needs choke, That I encountered on my grandfather's Minneapolis moline R, it will not idle and it needs a higher fuel to air mixture.

The other two I have learned in my research of points systems and that is that the engine can't take any load and that after they heat up it will stop working ( more in the condenser)

I don't know the exact ignition of the Tecumseh hh120 but I am very sure this has points as there seems to be no magnets in the fly wheel and its age also tells me it is a points system.

Any clues on where to start? I'm thinking I will be taking the shrouds off and pulling the fly wheel to get at the points so I'm looking to just replace them and not have to worry about it for a little while when I'm getting other things up to Parr so I can get it into doing its jobs.

Any ideas on where to get the replacement parts and how much I'm looking at paying for them? I tried Joe's outdoor power but they don't seems to have them, I googled it with very little luck.

I'm still looking for a carb kit as well, mostly for the needle seat so I can get it as close to 100% as possible

Sears GT group (suburbans/customs/etc)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/101589189889692/
Growing website for user based uploads about Sears tractors. (file sharing, forums for posting and reading guides, etc)
http://www.mysearstractor.com/
BillTheTractorMan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 10:26 PM   post #2 of 10
bstrucker
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 18659
Default Re: tecumseh hh120 ignition system

It depends on the engine,the earliest of them had points and condensor but it's been so long since I had one apart,I'm not sure where they are without looking it up,if nobody else responds before morning,I'll look it up then.Tecumseh did have one of the earliest SSI igntions,I think they came out with it in 1966 or'67,if I remember correctly it had a stator under the flywheel and I think that was it,if you have that ignition,there is no points and condensor.
bstrucker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 10:34 PM   post #3 of 10
BillTheTractorMan
Tractor addict

MTF Member # 30045
Garage

so if that's the case, I need to look into the carb again? Or can this system still be at fault for the symptoms?

Growing website for user based uploads about Sears tractors. (file sharing, forums for posting and reading guides, etc)
Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 PM   post #4 of 10
motobike
Happy To Be Here

MTF Member # 36969

Those carbs are very tricky. The internal passages get clogged up and you can't soak them clean. If you try to remove the welch plugs to get to the passages, you almost always ruin the carb, doing so.

We don't quit playing because we got old; we get old because we quit playing.
motobike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 12:30 AM   post #5 of 10
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

Weak spark can cause those symptoms too--if it has points,they will be located under a cover with two screws (3/16") just in front of the engine's drive pulleys ,down low..the condensor for some stupid reason,got put under the blower shroud above the flywheel,mounted to the ignition coil..dirty points,a bad coil,plug wire or faulty condensor can cause all the symptoms you have..

A quick & crude test that may help narrow down whether its carb or ignition ,is to pull the spark plug and close the gap up to about .010..it'll run ragged set that way,but if it accelerates better and dont bog out when you open the throttle any more,its the spark thats the problem..(you may need to "dial in" the carb settings to get it to run the best with the gap closed up)..I've run my 6 HP Tecumseh with a narrow plug gap for weeks,I put three different "good" carbs on it and could not get the *** thing to accelerate,every time I opened the throttle,was like shutting the key OFF!--finally I figured three carns cant ALL be bad in the same manner,and choking it some did seem to improve the situation,so I went chasing a non existant fuel problem..I think its the condensor or coil,it shoots a snappy blue spark,but evidently its weak,and blows out under a load--unless the gap is narrowed to .010..I plan to replace the whole magneto with a spare one,if I ever get around to it!..
Old 06-19-2010, 12:46 AM   post #6 of 10
BillTheTractorMan
Tractor addict

MTF Member # 30045
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor-Holic View Post
if I ever get around to it!..

Story of my life, I'm always busy with other projects it seems so that's why it took me 3 months to re-seat an exhaust valve in my LT10's Tecumseh tvm220.

I will put it back together..... Well hopefully tomorrow morning before work if I wake up early enough or after work if I'm not going to St Paul to mow a lawn (45 minute drive each way and an hour to mow). Or Sunday as long as the weather is nice and not too hot as I get killer headaches when it gets hot out.

As for now, pending my ability to fall asleep I will try to get some sleep.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:44 AM   post #7 of 10
gray wolf
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 40073

sounds like carb to me.easier than pulling flying wheel.which isn,t that hard either.hh 120 has ssi on outside flywheel.when they go bad .dead no spark.I would go easy on the screws .they deform easy.
gray wolf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 10:31 AM   post #8 of 10
Small Fry
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8155

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
sounds like carb to me.easier than pulling flying wheel.which isn,t that hard either.hh 120 has ssi on outside flywheel.when they go bad .dead no spark.I would go easy on the screws .they deform easy.
The late 60's and early 70's had the SSI under the flywheel. They will act up and work and not work before the quit altgether.

I had one act that way and just turning the bowl screw out a real little bit fixed it. So that time it was a gas problem.

I've also had it be the SSI and it did die after awhile, and that was it. It ran crappy for 2 days before it died.

Lots of SSI info here. Shows the different units and how to test.

http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/index.html

Small Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 12:56 PM   post #9 of 10
gray wolf
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 40073

your right .I,m confused again.but thats nothing new.sorry.
gray wolf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 09:11 PM   post #10 of 10
BillTheTractorMan
Tractor addict

MTF Member # 30045
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
sorry.

Its no biggie, we are all learning no matter what our degree in small engines is whether it be Dr or high school kid with nothing better to do and trying to stay out of trouble.

Is it possible to get a Dr's degree in small engines? I would love to get it! But I'm sure no one would want Dr. Bill working on their lawn mower.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.