wheel horse 520-hc - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 06-13-2010, 10:53 PM   post #1 of 5
Bucknhi
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 37541
Default wheel horse 520-hc

Hi guys, I have been messing with garden tractors for a while , not really brand specific. I bought two 520's this past week . A 1988 520-hc and a 1991 Toro 520-h. I have a couple of questions about the 520-hc i hope yall can help with.
The carb needs some minor adjusting and the low speed adj. screw is well hidden behind the muffler. Whats the best way to get to it? Appears to still have the factory plastic cap on it.
I don't recall seeing many HC's (commercial)around in the past. How bout yall?

thanks , Mike

Oh , I posted some extra attachments i got in the deal in the for sale section.
Bucknhi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 PM   post #2 of 5
300zx
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39613
Default Re: wheel horse 520-hc

My experience with the Onan carb is that it is best to take it off, tear it down, soak it clean, blow out all of the passages and put it back together. (I have a friend who doesn't soak his, he just takes it apart and blows all of the passages out with carb cleaner) If you do this, pull the plastic cap off of the low speed needle valve and count the turns until you can gently seat it so you will know the nominal setting when you reassemble it. If I remember right the manual calls for 1.5 turns out and then replace the plastic cap which only alows a 1/4 turn in or out. I haven't had much luck with the idle adustment, typically my problems have always been gummy passages or a vacuum leak. If you do want to try adjusting the idle valve, there is a hole in the bracket under the muffler. You can reach the needle valve through the hole with a long screw driver.

I haven't seen many HC's either. They were made in 88 & 89 for the commercial guys that didn't want all of the chrome, guages and fancy stuff. They were no longer available when the 1990's and later models came out.

Have fun with your 520's. As an OBTW, if you do decide to take your carb off, the best way is to pull the muffler and intake manifold. When I go that far, I always pull the covers on the valves and check the clearances. The last two engines I checked had burnt valves because the clearances were too tight.
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 03:58 PM   post #3 of 5
Kubietwo
MTF Member

MTF Member # 46207

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zx View Post
My experience with the Onan carb is that it is best to take it off, tear it down, soak it clean, blow out all of the passages and put it back together. (I have a friend who doesn't soak his, he just takes it apart and blows all of the passages out with carb cleaner) If you do this, pull the plastic cap off of the low speed needle valve and count the turns until you can gently seat it so you will know the nominal setting when you reassemble it. If I remember right the manual calls for 1.5 turns out and then replace the plastic cap which only alows a 1/4 turn in or out. I haven't had much luck with the idle adustment, typically my problems have always been gummy passages or a vacuum leak. If you do want to try adjusting the idle valve, there is a hole in the bracket under the muffler. You can reach the needle valve through the hole with a long screw driver.

I haven't seen many HC's either. They were made in 88 & 89 for the commercial guys that didn't want all of the chrome, guages and fancy stuff. They were no longer available when the 1990's and later models came out.

Have fun with your 520's. As an OBTW, if you do decide to take your carb off, the best way is to pull the muffler and intake manifold. When I go that far, I always pull the covers on the valves and check the clearances. The last two engines I checked had burnt valves because the clearances were too tight.
Assuming no vacuum leaks, if there is much wear in the throttle shaft bushings the manual recommendation may be too lean and you will need to screw the needle out until the engine runs smoothly at idle. Most of the plastic caps have long since broken off so in the majority of cases it easy enough to get to anyway.
Kubietwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM   post #4 of 5
Bucknhi
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 37541

Thanks for the replies. Pulling the carb and going thru it isn't a problem. I've done them before. I figured i would try to adjust the carb first and see if that helped. However there is no access hole in the muffler bracket. I may have to make my own access. LOL

, Mike
Bucknhi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 10:39 PM   post #5 of 5
300zx
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39613

Mike, I see what you mean about the access hole. I just checked my 1989 520 and it doesn't have the hole. My 1990 does. I stand corrected. LOL! Drill the hole, it makes it much easier.
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.