2005 CC LT1046.....electric PTO disengaging - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 06-07-2010, 09:14 AM   post #1 of 13
GreenT
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 45787
Help 2005 CC LT1046.....electric PTO disengaging

You know the story here. Just cutting along when the electric PTO disengages on its own. Initially, just reengaging worked and all seemed ok. However, the problem is repeating itself and getting worse. It seems as thought it might be temperature sensitive. When I let the tractor rest for 30 minutes I can get about 10 minutes of cut time. Once the PTO disengages it rarely will function right without a cool down.
I read about some relays and a clutch gap issue but would like to here from those that may have had the same issue.
Here's an interesting point. I put new blades on the mower last weekend....Went from the standard to mulching....they came with the tractor when I bought it new.

Advise requested..
GreenT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 10:00 AM   post #2 of 13
deeretek
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 40561
Default Re: 2005 CC LT1046.....electric PTO disengaging

Try adjusting it just a little.If it turns out that the clutch is bad I have a brand new one that I will sell ya for $115.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 AM   post #3 of 13
GreenT
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 45787

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeretek View Post
Try adjusting it just a little.If it turns out that the clutch is bad I have a brand new one that I will sell ya for $115.
OK. I appreciate the response but I'll need a shop manual. Do you have a link?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:56 AM   post #4 of 13
rcbe
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 439

look in the area under yer tilting seat. Get the full model number and serial number off the I D plate/decal. Go to MTD online manual webpage, enter numbers - and see if you can download a service manual for that machine.
rcbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 11:11 AM   post #5 of 13
GreenT
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 45787

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbe View Post
look in the area under yer tilting seat. Get the full model number and serial number off the I D plate/decal. Go to MTD online manual webpage, enter numbers - and see if you can download a service manual for that machine.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 AM   post #6 of 13
ccuser
MTF Member

MTF Member # 33378

I have an LT1045 doing the same thing. What I have found is if I turn the key and engage the Reverse mow function, it doesn't disengage ever. Try that and see if it works for you.
ccuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 12:20 PM   post #7 of 13
deeretek
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 40561

Its also possible that on the right side of your transmission,the reverse switch wire has popped off and is grounding against something causing it to cut the pto because it reading that you are in reverse.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:25 PM   post #8 of 13
GreenT
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 45787

yeah, I've been down those roads. I bent the reverse cut out a bit thinking that might be that. Also its happening in both normal and reverse key modes. Today I metered all the connections and everything checks out. Re-mowed the backyard despite mowing yesterday, and it only cut out once. When I went and got the meter the problem never reappeared. Murphy's Law of course.......So, my neighbors think I'm crazy for mowing two days in a row and I haven't fixed the problem. I'm very leery of the key switch. It's got to have a circuit board in there which could be effected by the heat and vibration.
Keep the ideas coming....parts are to expensive.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:22 PM   post #9 of 13
WNYTractorTinkerer
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 26264
Garage
Icon2 Re: 2005 CC LT1046.....electric PTO disengaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
yeah, I've been down those roads. I bent the reverse cut out a bit thinking that might be that. Also its happening in both normal and reverse key modes. Today I metered all the connections and everything checks out. Re-mowed the backyard despite mowing yesterday, and it only cut out once. When I went and got the meter the problem never reappeared. Murphy's Law of course.......So, my neighbors think I'm crazy for mowing two days in a row and I haven't fixed the problem. I'm very leery of the key switch. It's got to have a circuit board in there which could be effected by the heat and vibration.
Keep the ideas coming....parts are to expensive.
You are losing a Safety interlock which kicks the thing off..

Seat Switch,
Reverse Safety,
You could have and intermitent drop-off in your 'Run' circuit,
The PTO Clutch could be failing,
The PTO dash Switch could be bad or...
The Relay Switch under the dash could be failing..

It's kinda hard to diagnose this as there's so many stops along its path.. Been there-done-that..

Try a little test light trouble-shooting.. Hook a test lite up @ various stops along the path to determine which thing is failing.. I know it it tedious and time consuming but it is the only sure-fire way to determine your problem without tossing a lotta $$ buying parts..

Can You see the Real me?
WNYTractorTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 PM   post #10 of 13
GreenT
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 45787

All these safety checks give me a headache. It would be easier to rewire with a simple ignition and a toggle for the clutch. Errrrrrr.

All the advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:03 AM   post #11 of 13
WNYTractorTinkerer
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 26264
Garage
Icon2 Re: 2005 CC LT1046.....electric PTO disengaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenT View Post
All these safety checks give me a headache. It would be easier to rewire with a simple ignition and a toggle for the clutch. Errrrrrr.

All the advise is greatly appreciated.
Sorry about that but thank your friendly neighborhood Lawyers for sueing the crap outta CC because some dumbar$$ messed up and didn't take responsibility..

Can You see the Real me?
WNYTractorTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 05:06 PM   post #12 of 13
GreenT
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 45787

Well after all the head banging and crying about my PTO dropping out for no apparent reason. After metering out the circuit and still no answer I made my move. Bought $12 of fuse, switch and indicator light and installed a new circuit. Bypassed all the OE BS causing me to curse up a storm. No more safety interlocks to cause trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 AM   post #13 of 13
Thunder Dump
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 11339

So I was having this same issue on my 2007 1046. PTO would run fine while I mowed my yard (about 40 minutes time). I mow with the reverse feature enabled. When I would finish, I would shut off the PTO, get the hose set up for the deck wash and then when I would try and re-engage the PTO, it would run for a couple seconds and then stop. I could restart a few times but it would keep shutting off until eventually after a half dozen start/stops it would refuse to engage altogether. Once the tractor cooled down it would work fine again. I did discover that if I engaged the reverse mowing feature *first*, then the PTO would work fine, which tells me that the reverse cut-out safety must be triggering the PTO shutoff. Not sure what operating temp would have to do with it, but it definitely seems related.

Anyway, I finally crawled underneath and found the two wires going to the hydro and noticed that the *purple* wire had worn through at the connector and was just loosely making contact with the connector. So I moved the wire out of the way so it wouldn't make sporadic contact and now the PTO works 100% of the time. So my question is this, does the reverse safety switch work by grounding out the circuit and now that the purple wire is disconnected it cannot ground out so it bypasses the safety switch? I was going to just leave it since it's working fine, but if it prevents the safety override from functioning correctly then I'm going to replace the connector.
Thunder Dump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.