Craftsman Tractor with 15hp Kohler Command Problems - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 PM   post #1 of 9
Harlan
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 8956
Default Craftsman Tractor with 15hp Kohler Command Problems

Got one of these to "fix" for a friend. 917.256550 CV15S Kohler Command. It was running fine, then he intentionally shut it off for about 5 minutes, then upon trying to restart, all he!! broke loose: backfiring, hard starting, won't stay running for more then 2 seconds.
Now it won't start/run at all, and every-so often will get a "pop", then that's it. Its a gravity feed gas tank, and has fuel to carb. Pulled the valve cover off and pushrods, rockers, and valves move. No broken valve springs. Cylinder has compression. Flywheel key wasn't sheared, and magnet is secure to the flywheel.

I'm going to dig into it this weekend. Seems like timing or spark....Any hints where to look?

Thanks,
Harlan
Harlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 06:09 PM   post #2 of 9
Bill Kapaun
Circumflatulater

MTF Member # 6264
Default Re: Craftsman Tractor with 15hp Kohler Command Problems

Timing is controlled by the flywheel position, so if the key isn't broken, the timing should be good..
I'd GUESS ignition coil?
Bill Kapaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 07:08 AM   post #3 of 9
Harlan
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 8956

Spark is hot and good. I have a spare working coil off a running engine, and still same symptoms. Somebody said something about the ACR?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:14 AM   post #4 of 9
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I think you mean the "chip" that retards and advances the spark,if it has one??..some Kohlers do..looks like a small relay..

an "ACR" is a "automatic compression release" ,and thats operated by a flyweight on the camshaft,that holds one valve slightly open at cranking speeds to releieve some compression--its doubtfull even if its spring failed that it would affect the valves once its running over 200 rpms..

There is another thread about the spark timing chip on the "Small Engine Repair" forum I believe..I'm wondering if my 20 HP Kohler Magnum has oe,its been driving me batty with "undiagnoseable" stalling symptoms..it'll run absolutely perfect one minute,and do so anywhere from a few minutes to hours,then it stalls out like it ran out of gas--still has good spark,and even dumping gas down the carb dont always get it to restart,if it does it only runs maybe 5-10 seconds..let it cool off a few hours and it restarts instantly and repeats the same scenario..I'm ready to take a sledge to it!.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 AM   post #5 of 9
Harlan
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 8956

Didn't notice a small relay looking thing.
Now it won't even pop or backfire when trying to start. I've shot starting fluid down the carb, and still nothing....
Old 06-03-2010, 03:37 PM   post #6 of 9
Bill Kapaun
Circumflatulater

MTF Member # 6264

Did you check the spark with an actual spark plug tester?
You can have a spark under atmospheric pressure, but under engine compression you may not.
If nothing else, grab an old spark plug and open the gap to around 3/16" or so and see if the spark will jump that.

You might also try "priming" the carb with a tablespoon's worth of gas and see if it fires on that.
Bill Kapaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 09:54 AM   post #7 of 9
Harlan
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 8956

Yes.
I have one of those clamp on adjustable spark testers. The gap was 1/4" and spark was hot.
I sprayed starting fluid down the mouth of the carb and still nothing...
Old 06-05-2010, 09:09 AM   post #8 of 9
kcp877
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19261

I had a similar problem, couldn't get the engine to fire on fluid, had spark, timing good etc..

Here's how i got it going. Removed the fuel line, spark plug and carb bowl, , removed the air filter. Drain the gas tank into another container.

crank the engine over to clear the chamber and the carb of anything in there. Make sure your plug is good, hook it up and make sure it's sparking out of the engine. I would imagine when you pull it its going to be soaked like mine was, but still firing just not starting the engine.

Now, put the plug back in, give it a good shot of carb cleaner, put the choke on and hit the key, mine still took a good 3 tries, then pow, fired, i ran it like this for a few squirts before shutting it down. Put the carb back together, put in a little gas and let the fresh gas clear out the fuel line and filter, hook it all back up.

What I figured happened to mine was some water got in the gas somehow, i think it was water, the tank had fresh gas it in, I put it in, but somehow it got in the carb and was keeping it from starting. I spend hours chasing wires, checking valves, timing, checked the key twice, etc... For whatever reason it wouldn't start on fluid with the carb bowl on and all hooked up, but as soon as the carb bowl was off and the chamber was clear it fired. It starts in half a second now and runs perfect.

May not work, but it's worth a shot and takes only a few minutes. Also, I couldn't even get a pop out of it, it would turn over, I almost junked the engine I thought the guy sold me a junk engine because I couldnt find anything wrong
kcp877 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 10:27 AM   post #9 of 9
Harlan
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 8956

Removed the solenoid on the bottom of the carb, and dropped the bowl. Bowl was spottless. Solenoid moved freely with key on.

I had an older 14.5hp Kohler off another Craftsman that was a drop in swap. Didn't even drain the tank, just put the engine in, and it fired on about the third rotation, so I don't believe fuel was the issue.
I gave everything back to my friend, along with the other non-working engine in a milk crate.
I'm too busy, and he was going to tinker with it.

Should have replaced the steering sector while I had his engine out, but didn't have one "in stock"....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.