Repower LGT165 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-18-2010, 04:28 PM   post #1 of 17
alleninpa
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1924
Default Repower LGT165

I know that Kohler makes good engines, however, I am thinking of putting a V twin Vanguard engine in it instead.
I found this
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...d&Model=LGT165
about repowering them.
My engine bolts to some rubber bushings and doesn't look anything like this with a welded pan.
So, anyway, has anyone put a vanguard in these?
Thanks,
Al
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 05:36 PM   post #2 of 17
skyrydr2
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 32073
Default Re: Repower LGT165

Might be easier than putting in an opposed twin Briggs like I did, it llike putting 10 pounds of potatoes in a 2 pound bag!
'58 Ford 1841 Industrial(for the big jobs)
skyrydr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 PM   post #3 of 17
datreetrimmer
Grrrrr-FORD LGT 165

MTF Member # 36285

good luck
datreetrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 09:29 PM   post #4 of 17
FORD_LGT_165
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 29335

do you want more power ? or Just a new engine ? If you want a few extra HP's here is what you need to do...

-Balanced crank 53% RBF ( Removed balancers Gears)
-.020 Over Bore with Chrome rings
-.010 Under Crank
-Bosh Blue Coil
-solid state, breakerless ignition system
-Kirk Engine Billet Breather Cover
-Performance cheater cam
-shave your Deck .040 to get the Compression ratio = 7.45:1 ( that is next on my to do list )

Save your money and rebuild it....

Last edited by FORD_LGT_165; 05-18-2010 at 09:34 PM.
FORD_LGT_165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 AM   post #5 of 17
alleninpa
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1924

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD_LGT_165 View Post
do you want more power ? or Just a new engine ? If you want a few extra HP's here is what you need to do...

-Balanced crank 53% RBF ( Removed balancers Gears)
-.020 Over Bore with Chrome rings
-.010 Under Crank
-Bosh Blue Coil
-solid state, breakerless ignition system
-Kirk Engine Billet Breather Cover
-Performance cheater cam
-shave your Deck .040 to get the Compression ratio = 7.45:1 ( that is next on my to do list )

Save your money and rebuild it....
Sounds like it would work, however I still have a poor effeciency clunky single cylinder engine without overhead valves, and it will end up costing as much or more than a Vanguard engine, and with no warranty. Not to mention that it is still a splash lube engine.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:47 PM   post #6 of 17
skyrydr2

MTF Member # 32073

You will have issues with the crank to drive shaft adapter,exhaust, and PTO clutch, just to name a few obstacles, motor mounts can also be a pain too.
But my biggest concern was the drive shaft adapter, I had to make one special, and if I had to pay to get it done...... I would have not bothered as it would have probably had cost $250 + for it.
I still might look for a good V Twin for it at some future point, I just love the sound they make when working hard, they sound like a v8.
If you have access to a machine shop and welder you can make anything work !! Just takes a bit more effort sometimes.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:41 PM   post #7 of 17
alleninpa
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1924

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrydr2 View Post
You will have issues with the crank to drive shaft adapter,exhaust, and PTO clutch, just to name a few obstacles, motor mounts can also be a pain too.
But my biggest concern was the drive shaft adapter, I had to make one special, and if I had to pay to get it done...... I would have not bothered as it would have probably had cost $250 + for it.
I still might look for a good V Twin for it at some future point, I just love the sound they make when working hard, they sound like a v8.
If you have access to a machine shop and welder you can make anything work !! Just takes a bit more effort sometimes.
I am a mechanical engineer, with access to a machine shop, and own a stick welder. Sounds like a plan
Old 05-19-2010, 02:33 PM   post #8 of 17
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleninpa View Post
Sounds like it would work, however I still have a poor effeciency clunky single cylinder engine without overhead valves, and it will end up costing as much or more than a Vanguard engine, and with no warranty. Not to mention that it is still a splash lube engine.
Which explains all those nasty, clunky, splash-lubed, single cylinder, 38 year old (are you that old), never rebuilt, engines still running like scalded dogs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEQtE18e7MU

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist that.

But on you your question, if you have the ingenuity, ability, and tools to do the frame mods to line a vanguard, or Yanmar diesel, or whatever you choose, up in the frame, go for it! The Ford LGTs are tough tractors and worth a buck or two.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 02:56 PM   post #9 of 17
skyrydr2

MTF Member # 32073

Quote:
I am a mechanical engineer, with access to a machine shop, and own a stick welder. Sounds like a plan
Well then !! There is no excuses!! Get on with it and we want plenty of pictures too !!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:48 PM   post #10 of 17
FORD_LGT_165
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 29335

Quote:
Sounds like it would work, however I still have a poor effeciency clunky single cylinder engine without overhead valves.
Yeah thats why they use the engine in tractor pull competitons and run them 6000RPM +

sorry couldn`t resist!!!

The Flathead is a great engine... 35 years and still gooing strong.... I will dyno my K341 when Im done decking the head just to see if the 24hp or so they say they get is true....

I wanted to re-power my LGT buy it was less work and money to just hot-rod the engine....

On a side note I will buy the K341 off you I need some extra parts for a re-build im working on
Old 05-19-2010, 10:21 PM   post #11 of 17
gburnett
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 9399

Rebuild the 16HP Kohler it'll be running when the Vanguard is in the scrap pile.I have a 20HP Vanguard here now with less than 400hrs with crank problems
gburnett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 06:28 AM   post #12 of 17
skyrydr2

MTF Member # 32073

Personally I would put in a twin Kohler, they make more power than the Briggs and generate more juice from the alternator too.
Being involved in the construction/ forestry industry most of my life I will have to say that about the only engines I have seen that hold up really well, start all the time, and run great with out tinkering.... are HONDA!! ALL the Briggs and Kohler's and Tecumseh have issues, so I feel one is really no better than the next, even the Honda's break ! Kohler's never start when it's cold out, and they like to run hot, cooking themselves. Briggs .... well they leak oil like sieves as do the Tecumseh, and burn up as well, worst of all they never charge well. At least the Honda's and Kohler's charge the batteries nice.
So any engine he chooses should be fine, and I guarantee that hot rodded Kohler won't last either! Been there, if you take care of it ,it should last a very long life.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:19 AM   post #13 of 17
alleninpa
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 1924

I worked part and full time in an equipment rental store for 20+ years.
I have seen many blown kohler v twins, and Briggs IC engines that die.
Onan seems to be decent, when it wants to run, seemed to have electrial problems a lot.
We only ran the Honda's up to 13 HP, so I can't say about the v twin honda's, but the singles were awsome. We also had some Vanguards and they seemed to be decent engines.
I don't want to slam Kohler, and am getting quotes for rebuild. If it turns out that it costs about the same amount for a new engine, I may do a transplant.
Right now I am getting blow by on my kohler, which pumps oil out the front seal, and a bad knock, and smokes at startup.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:45 PM   post #14 of 17
Brian G. NY
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 4789

Skyrydr2, I'm thinking of repowering an LGT-165 with a Kohler twin I salvaged from a wrecked LGT-17H.
The 165 had a big hole in its block when I bought it so I bought another block, had it bored O.S. .020" and got a new piston/rings, rod, valves and valve guides. However, in the meantime I acquired this "Series II" 17HP Kohler
that runs perfectly. So, I'm debating whether to "stick" the 17 HP on rather than take the time to finish the rebuild at this time. My mowing tractor right now is a Gilson built LGT-18H which is alright and I love the Magnum 18 engine which is essentially the same as the Series II 17 HP, but its not near the tractor the Jake built LGT series tractors are. So.....it sems to make sense to have the best of both worlds; a 17HP "LGT-175". I haven't even set the 17HP engine on the LGT's frame yet because the tractor is on one side of my barn and the engine on the other side. That may not sound like a problem; but if you saw my barn, you'd understand. Something like the barns "The Pickers" like to rummage thru, only mostly Ford garden tractors/parts, an Allis WD, tons of Ford auto parts, tools, supplies and machinery. It would take a day to clear stuff out of the way to get them both out. My wife says "its a disgrace" LOL
Brian G. NY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 PM   post #15 of 17
FORD_LGT_165
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 29335

Quote:
I don't want to slam Kohler, and am getting quotes for rebuild.
Do it yourself They charge way to much to rebuild these,,,

A full stens rebuild kit on ebay is 140$ + 50$ to hone it out and another 60$ to regrind the crank...

Its cheap to do...

Now a shop will charge 600 -800 to rebuild .... rip-off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrydr2 View Post
I guarantee that hot rodded Kohler won't last either! Been there
Well if the original lasted 30 years.... this one should last me another 30 years.... I rebuilt it for fun and to see if I could achive better HP... But im sure with all the maintence and care I should have it for the rest of my life...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.