My Tractor Forum banner

The "Hulk II" Project

116K views 347 replies 83 participants last post by  larrybl 
#1 ·
As you know I came across a 88 Craftsman II recently, and I am in the process of tearing it down getting ready for a restore through the summer. I have picked the Hulk II theme as I tried the Hulk several years ago, but only 1/2 finished it.
What do you think?
pict 1 the New Hulk II, pict 2 the Hulk I.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Very cool.

#4 ·
Spent most of the weekend tearing it down. Starter was sezed up, I replaced it but now need to get a battery to try and fire the engine on the bench to see what I have there. Tires will need replaced, thinking ATV on the back and tri rib on the front. All the chassis components look good.
Lots of cleaning to do. Used 1/2 can of PB and only broke the small 1/4 engine cowling bolts and one 5/8 on the rear end.

Attachments

#7 ·
I prefer Godzilla myself.

Godi would stomp, roast, and then eat Hulk for a snack! :0)

Renster

#8 ·
Of course, we won't even go into the ultimate butt-kicker:

SUPERMAN!!!

Renster

#10 ·
Took a "Me" day today (Didn't go to work) started early on the project. Took the Engine, Frame, and Tranny to the local car wash (I really need a pressure washer). Then I stripped the Deck. It has some pitting, but over all the metal is still thick and there are no rust throughs. I sprayed all the bolts with PB last week, and hit them again before I took the impact to them. Not one broken bolt :thThumbsU Deck mandrils are good, I'll have to replace the discharge shute, and anti scalp wheels, and belt for good measure. Paint and primer I figure $50.00 to completely restore.

Attachments

#11 ·
I know you had sent me a message about the electric clutch do you still have it my gt is a 91 would it fit

#13 ·
Well after several hours of grinding and sanding I had to take a break. I found a couple spots that needed repaired. Will do final prep for paint after the JB cures.

Attachments

#15 ·
Lookin' GOOD!!!!!!
I too have started the restoration of my GT18!!!! Luckily though I have a pressure washer, the down side is I sold my 60 gallon single stage air compressor so.... no air D/A sander will be used. I still have my 20 gallon air compressor and a spray gun that only take 5cfm so I can still paint when I'm ready to!!!
Thank goodness that my wife bought me one of those electric D/A sanders in fact it's been working great I can't really tell any difference from the air to electric one!!!
My wife is even helping with the tear down, sanding and painting!!!!!:thThumbsU
I had another GT18 (1986-917.254410) stored on my property that I was also going to restore but somebody must have needed the hood and other things worst then I (I hate thieves), so I'm using it for parts for my GT18 (1984-917.253744), I'm mixing the parts although they have the same transaxle.
Keep up the great work, and remember lot's of photos:thThumbsU !!!!!!

Rob

#16 ·
Ordered the Blades, and Grass deflector. Watching paint drying tonight.

Attachments

#18 ·
Finished the deck all except for the discharge shute and 3 new blades (Waiting on UPS Ground). Belt was in good condition. Top 2 W/O the cover. Everything spins free, no binding, or noise.

Attachments

#19 ·
good work cant wait till its done

#20 ·
:greendr: Spent some time with the engine today. Set up a Battery, solnoid, battery charger, and fuel tank on the bench. Cranked the eng over a couple times to test the electrical, no start. Noticed fuel leaking out of the carb. Pulled the top off of it, yuck :thSick: Cleaned out the crud, and changed the float valve. Leak fixed, still no start. Pulled the plugs, and gave it a good long crank, Good spark on both plugs, and feels like good compression on both cylanders. Pulled the Carb and started dissamble. The needle valve broke off :Stop: So now I go to find a lower carb body pn 499655, NLA :crybaby:
So, I am stopping this evening to have a :trink40: :trink40: And see what options others may have.

#21 ·
Looking good so far. I spend most of my time in the PK forum, but I do have a Craftsman too. I jump all around for a good restore story. One less in the junk heap is always a good thing.

Still on the hunt for one for my 10 year old son. His birthday is coming up, and he wants a GT for his 11th birthday. More than a go cart. Good Boy.

Changed most of the fluids in my new to me PK today so :trink40: sounds good.

#22 ·
Man thats looking great, if you take the pains with the rest of it as you did on the deck, it should be awesome. I just finished doing the same thing with a 1986 Craftsman II. I didn't tear it down as far as you have, I just pulled all the sheet metal off and sanded and painted everything. I used Cub Cadet yellow for all the sheet metal and repainted all the black. I thought I might have some decals made for the hood that say "Old Yeller". Haven't taken any pics since I finished but I will soon.

Sorry, I can't help you with the carb parts, but shouldn't be to hard to find.
Mine also has the discharge chute missing and one of the gauge wheels is also missing.
If you don't mind my asking, how much will the chute cost to replace?? Did you get a new one or find one used??
Cotton

#23 ·
sweet sweet!!! lou ferrigno would be proud!!

#24 ·
Found a lower carb replacement on the B/S site (491543) $25.55. Looks like I'll need the fuel pump on the carb instead of the Fire wall, oh well.
As for the discharge schute, Sears parts direct $15.72
Blades are comming from agrisupply $7.49 each $11.50 shipp
Lower carb body will get ordered Thursday. Hope to post the initial eng startup next week.

May work on the Frame and Rear end in the mean time.

Attachments

#29 ·
Blades and discharge chute finnaly came in. The deck is finished :bannana: Have to finish a "Dog House" project before I start on the frame. I plan on a second attempt to fire the engine this weekend also.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.