Drag Link - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-12-2010, 08:05 AM   post #1 of 6
budjeep
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 37449
Default Drag Link

I have a 1985 lawn tractor Model #917.255732.
Problem where the drag link goes to the left side spindle for the steering comes apart. On the drag link there is a socket that goes to the ball on the spindle this is kept in place by a piece of rubber that goes from the drag link to where the ball is bolted fast to the spindle is this stock or not. can not find it in manual or any where i looked for it .
If you had this problem how did you fix it?
Thanks Bud
budjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 12:42 PM   post #2 of 6
jhorwitz
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 41829
Default Re: Drag Link

I tried looking at the diagram on Sears parts site, but the image was too fuzzy to really tell. However, I suggest you look closely at the steering drawing in your manual and compare it closely to your parts list--see if you can determine every part in that assembly. Even if you list a few extra parts because of lack of clarity as to where they go, you may be able to eliminate some non-existant parts to help you answer your question.

My own slightly older GTV actually has two tie-rods and isn't set up the same way.

1982 GTV-11 917.253715
44-inch mower 917.253644
46-inch dozer 917.254020; Lift Mech. 917.254050
9.1 cu. ft. Dump Cart 610.26351
36" Trailer Lawnsweeper 426.260921

1996 Murray "Brute" G2914010, 10 hp, 29", snowthrower, Tecumseh SnowKing engine HMSK-100
My pix: http://cid-3067ecfbccc1cf89.photos.live.com/albums.aspx
Tractor, snowthrower: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=3067E...CC1CF89%217762
jhorwitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 AM   post #3 of 6
migraineman
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26161

The steering cross link on my 1967 Suburban failed at the left ball joint. The socket portion is integral to the link, so replacing the rod end isn't an option. I fabbed a new link from 1/2" square tube with 3/8"-24 threaded studs welded into the ends. Ball joint rod ends were purchased from McMaster Carr.

On mine, there's a rubber dust shield that protects the ball joint from contamination, but that has nothing to do with retaining the ball in the socket.

migraineman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 11:11 AM   post #4 of 6
budjeep
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 37449

Thanks for the in put we use mMcMaster- carr at work i will have to check what i can use
Bud
budjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 09:35 PM   post #5 of 6
heatseaker1
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 40463

I just did a quick fix with a similar drag link issue. I've done this many times before and although it is shade tree it will sometimes last for years.

All you got to to is take the ball out then use a metal cutting saw and cut across the ball cup. Cut at least half way through the socket. Replace the ball and then beat the end of the drag link with a mallet closing the cut you made with the saw. If you have the means, you can weld a tack on both sides of the cup to strengthen it like I did. Even without a weld it should last a good long while or at least to you get a new joint or new link.
Case 446 Hydriv
-48" deck
-44" rear discharge deck
-48" snowcaster
-41" tiller
heatseaker1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 11:47 AM   post #6 of 6
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I've simply sawed off the ends of the draglink the proper amount,and welded a grade 8 or allen head 3/8" fine thread bolt onto the ends of the draglink--now you can buy the tie rod ends or "heim joints" at Lowes or Tractor Supply ,etc,for about 7 bucks apeice and if there is ever a "next time",replacement will be simple, and cheap..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.