Yanmar YM 2000= high range - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 05-07-2010, 08:42 PM   post #1 of 7
woodshooter
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 42593
Default Yanmar YM 2000= high range

Have been trying to buy this ym2000 from a small tractor dealer here, finally got to test drive today after getting flat fixed, well it jumps out of high range detent when releasing clutch mostly after shifting into 3rd gear not every time you shift but about every 4th time, radiator leaks, water pump shaft wobbles dripps coolant,rusting around lower hood section near pivot point, warning lights not wired tack inop. wandering about high range fix any suggestions.
woodshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 PM   post #2 of 7
mark777
Administrator

MTF Member # 252
Default Re: Yanmar YM 2000= high range

Is the dealer familiar with the Yanmar lineup?

Is it too personal to ask what he wants for the tractor?

I'm not sure why it's jumping out of high range but it will take a tear down to determine if it's a shift gate problem or something more serious. The water pump is available (no problem) same with the tachometer cable...but broken cable means the hour meter is in-op and it may have been this way for years.

This one sounds seriously neglected....This may be one tractor you should consider passing up unless, the price is just too tempting and leaves you with a sizeable amount in your budget to acquire the necessary parts to make it ready for duty.
mark777 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 PM   post #3 of 7
winston
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 37218
Garage

New radiator is $285, new water pump $116, transmission unknown, etc. Any smoke? Any bubbles in overflow jug? Does it crank right up? What do fluids and fluid levels look like? Any blow by? No advice, just some things to think about.
winston is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 10:10 PM   post #4 of 7
woodshooter
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 42593

The tractor has a rebuilt engine ,I have talked to the mechanic who did the work, new crank, main & rod bearings, vavle job on head new oil pump, new injector pump etc. no water in oil no oil in water. asking $2200.00 . maybe shifter dent arm ? still requires trans tear down I guess ? Parts and repair maybe just too much. I think dealer feels he was burned on the trade in of this tractor ,don,t why he took the customers word for condition of tractor .
woodshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 06:14 AM   post #5 of 7
mark777
Administrator

MTF Member # 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodshooter View Post
..... Parts and repair maybe just too much. I think dealer feels he was burned on the trade in of this tractor ,don,t why he took the customers word for condition of tractor .

This is a 'toughy' IMO.

The dealer should be willing to negotiate with you just to get it off his inventory. He should also be willing to sell it at a loss since it has so many unknown variables. IF he decides he wants his money out of it, it may be on his lot for a very long time.

This particular tractor could be a 'money pit' and you might end up hating it...or worse, loosing interest and tackling a monster where you never break even.

If your budget is set in stone you still might be better off buying a good, used YM2000 for more money, but with a warranty, parts support and a dealer who will stand by your purchase! I think Tullahoma Tractors in Tullahoma, Tennessee is a decent Yanmar dealer. If they don't have what you want, or it's too far to pick up, then I would seriously consider a UTDA delivered tractor from LMTC's inventory. Regardless of where you go, it would be a good idea to call them both and just 'talk' tractors for awhile

Mark
mark777 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 08:30 AM   post #6 of 7
winston
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 37218
Garage

Woodshooter, did you ask the mechanic if he had an opinion about the transmission? Maybe see if he has any estimate of possibe repair? If it is indeed a rebuilt engine that puts a check on the plus side.
winston is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 07:37 PM   post #7 of 7
twentynine
The Earl of Fishing

MTF Member # 12817

With the tranny jumping out of high range, I would either have to buy it for a steal or walk away.

the radiator and water pump I could deal with, but the unknown tranny problem, that scares the heck out of me.
twentynine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.