JD STX38 - Yellow Deck Wiring - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 04-26-2010, 03:45 PM   post #1 of 8
fishfood
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 42762
Default JD STX38 - Yellow Deck Wiring

New to the group; hopefully I can contribute a thing or two after I've learned a little.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a John Deere STX38 yellow deck, kohler CV 12.5 S, Engine Serial No. 2022108938? The tractor information was too worn to gather any information from it. I'm looking for the complete riding mower wiring information - I found the parts wiring diagram, but I need something more specific.

My issue:
The engine dies when the PTO switch is thrown to engage the blades. I have checked the voltage at the clutch (12v pretty solid), replaced the battery, and cleaned the ground connections (on clutch, main ground, and at terminal conn. to battery). The clutch itself and the deck work great - I wired the clutch directly from the battery when the mower was running. The blades engaged great. The seat safety switch works (tried jumper across the connection, tested for continuity, and tested with it unplugged). When unplugged, it won't go into gear without killing the engine. The continuity tests perfect. No change with jumper.

I don't know where to find the clutch safety switch (which I've seen on a couple of posts) so perhaps this is the issue? A couple of wires have been spliced together near the clutch, so maybe the switch has been bypassed. The tractor works great and all gears drive the mower with no problem. This mower was a mess when I got it. I didn't purchase it with anything working other than the engine would fire up.

The other issue is that a wire from the coil has been cut on the side of the engine (plugs into a wiring clip that also has a wire that draws power from the stator). This cut wire is traced back to the ignition switch, but I'm not sure what it's doing from there. If I splice the wire back together, the engine will not fire up. If cut as is, the engine works great and the tractor will drive.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Lance
fishfood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 06:10 PM   post #2 of 8
Brad
MTF--A Step Above!

MTF Member # 4571
Default Re: JD STX38 - Yellow Deck Wiring

Hello, Fishfood, and welcome to MTF. Hopefully we'll get you up and running. Look for a PM from me on this question.

Look at this thread:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=124786

Brad
Brad is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 06:13 PM   post #3 of 8
rrmccabe
I color outside the lines

MTF Member # 34789

Reverse switch maybe.

Doubt the wiring diagram will help since of alot of what is going on is logic on the interlock board.

EDIT: Manual trans huh?

1967 Original 110 Round Fender with model 80 cart
2010 2305 with 200cx loader
rrmccabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 06:29 PM   post #4 of 8
rrmccabe
I color outside the lines

MTF Member # 34789

Item 7 on the attached is your neutral safety switch.

So its on top of transaxle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	safety.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	102131  

1967 Original 110 Round Fender with model 80 cart
2010 2305 with 200cx loader
rrmccabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 PM   post #5 of 8
joecdeere
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6834

Lance, there are 4 serial number breaks in the yellow deck series alone, this is the earliest one, maybe it will help guide you some, if you could even only get me the last six numbers off the serial number tag on the tractor I could get you the correct one for sure

1948 Allis G
1949 Allis G
1954 Allis G
1959 Ferguson TO-35
1972 MF 135
1979 Power King 2418
joecdeere is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 10:06 PM   post #6 of 8
fishfood
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 42762

Thank you guys for the quick replies - I've been out of town all day today and finally got back to the computer. I'll look for a few numbers if any are left. Is the sticker the only place to find them?

I'm planning to jumper the seat safety switch again to see if this is still somehow causing problems. According to the diagram above, it looks like the additional wire coming from the igition module is supposed to be linked back into the key switch and will ground out when the key is turned off. For some reason, when I connect this wire, the engine will not start - so I wonder if all of the problems could be related to the key switch. The power is obviously coming from the key switch wire. Since I have no headlights, I wonder if the power from that loop is completing the circuit toward the lights and is grounding out causing the mower to die.

Joecdeere, thanks for posting the diagrams - any chance I could see the other three to compare them? I'll try and find a serial number for you guys to help me narrow the search.

Thanks again!
Lance
Old 04-28-2010, 05:54 AM   post #7 of 8
Brad
MTF--A Step Above!

MTF Member # 4571

I have a manual on disc for the STX38 and with the serial number range he posted in his first post his unit is the latest version of the wiring diagram, but that's not to say that joecdeere's book is arranged differently than my disc.

Brad
Brad is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 08:20 PM   post #8 of 8
fishfood
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 42762

After looking at the wiring diagrams above, I jumpered the neutral switch. This didn't have any effect, so I moved on to some wire testing. I went off of hunch regarding the light switch and actual lights being installed. If the light switch and lights to resist any current, I thought maybe the circuit was just grounding out. After I unplugged the one wire leading from the PTO switch to the light circuit, it all worked great!

I'm surprised how well this mower cuts.

Thanks for the help and suggestions on repair, you guys saved me a fortune in repairs.

-Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.