Looking for a bush-hogging tractor - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

The Barn General discussion of Full size tractors and accessories
Sponsored By: MaCorr Research

Old 04-25-2010, 09:35 AM   post #1 of 13
queen of spades
me

MTF Member # 5386
Default Looking for a bush-hogging tractor

I've been looking for a full size tractor to do bush hogging with. My little Yanmar is great for small fields, but I need a bigger machine for bigger areas.

My budget is around 2000-2500, old is fine.. want something with enough power to pull a 5' hog at a pretty good pace. (I have to creep in tall grass with my 19hp yanmar w/ 4' hog). Also need something with a diesel engine.

What do you guys recommend I look for?
queen of spades is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 09:40 AM   post #2 of 13
glenn27
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 703
Default Re: Looking for a bush-hogging tractor

Hello-Queen--a older Ford 8n/9n will do fine with what yopu need..My brother gotr one (that needed some work) a couple years ago for $1,500, along with attachments..

Sometimes you just have to laugh..To keep from going insane!!

Jimmy Buffett
glenn27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2010, 03:01 PM   post #3 of 13
queen of spades
me

MTF Member # 5386

I wanted to shy away from gas engines.. did the 8/9n come in diesel?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:47 PM   post #4 of 13
P B G
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 31016

imho the 8/9n have some serious flaws for a "bush hogging" tractor. Mostly, the live pto. The ability to start/stop/slowdown while the bush hog keeps chugging away allows you to adjust to changing field conditions etc.

Not that you couldn't use an old N, but they simply lack some of the features found on newer tractors. And being that your yanmar is a 19 hp diesel, and the 8N is a 25ish hp gas I don't think you'd realize much of a performance increase going to the N.

Instead if you wanted Ford, something like a 2000 is available in diesel, and has more hydraulic capacity, as well as an independant PTO. It would be more like 36 hp if I remember right.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 12:32 PM   post #5 of 13
Onan18
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 40653

Might take a while to find one in your price range, but a Ford 3600 Diesel would serve you very well. My uncle has one that we pull a 5' bush hog with and it has power to spare. Plus it has power steering and a dual range transmission, best tractor I have ever used. I am looking for one as we speek.
Onan18 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 12:45 PM   post #6 of 13
JRC0528
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 21688

My neighbor & I bought a Fordson Major Diesel a couple years ago. It came (in good running condition) with a 6' bush hog for $2200. Its a ~40HP diesel.

Biggest drawback is as mentioned with 8/9Ns; it has a live PTO. You can overcome the issues of having a live PTO with the addition of an over-running clutch. For those that don't know, an over-run clutch is like the freewheel on a bicycle; the tractor can power the hog, but the hog can't push the tractor. One note, we 'tweaked' our over-run clutch (twisted the male spline a bit), so I'd consider installing a slip-clutch as well, to protect the over-run clutch as well as the rest of the tractor's drive-line.

The FMD has a 3spd transmission and 2 ranges, giving 6 fwd speeds and 2 reverse. I find it quite capable cutting in 3rd and sometimes 4th gear. I hog it all down to lawn height (2-3") in the fields and have few issues with power.

I believe there was a US market equiv. to the FMD, but offhand I don't remember what it was.

Another caution, the FMD doesn't have a differential lock, only left & right brakes. If you plan on using it a lot in slippery conditions (mud & snow) you may want chains or a more suitably equipped machine.

Many a man in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl!
-- Stephen Leacock on the danger of infatuation
JRC0528 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 01:20 PM   post #7 of 13
TMM
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39078

the Ford 601/801 series are good machines and can have a diesel engine, although the gassers can be more readily found. the 601's have approximately 40 horse and 801's roughly 50.

tmm
TMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 02:58 PM   post #8 of 13
Ken N Tx
Retired MTF Admin

MTF Member # 117
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of spades View Post
I wanted to shy away from gas engines.. did the 8/9n come in diesel?
No....

I have brush hogged and now finish mow with a 2N..Don't let the PTO scare you away..But I see that you want diesel..

Finish mowing with a Ford 2N
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 PM   post #9 of 13
Upper5Percent
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8602

Quote:
I've been looking for a full size tractor to do bush hogging with. My little Yanmar is great for small fields, but I need a bigger machine for bigger areas.

My budget is around 2000-2500, old is fine.. want something with enough power to pull a 5' hog at a pretty good pace. (I have to creep in tall grass with my 19hp yanmar w/ 4' hog). Also need something with a diesel engine.

How big is your trailer and tow vehicle?
Because if you get an OLD AG tractor to really mow at speed...you will need a LARGE TRAILER and TOW VEHICLE to move it around...
Old 04-27-2010, 09:43 PM   post #10 of 13
queen of spades
me

MTF Member # 5386

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulChristenson View Post
How big is your trailer and tow vehicle?
Because if you get an OLD AG tractor to really mow at speed...you will need a LARGE TRAILER and TOW VEHICLE to move it around...
Ah-ha -- you touched on what I've been thinking.. I checked the weight of a Ford 3600 -- its a little more than I feel comfortable carrying on my trailer. I've pulled an ASV RC-50 - scary, won't do again. 2.5 tons is about my limit.

What's the weight of a Ford 601? Can't find online.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 PM   post #11 of 13
queen of spades
me

MTF Member # 5386

See the 801 series only weigh 2 tons... 40+ hp -- just what i'm looking for.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 PM   post #12 of 13
Upper5Percent
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8602

Quote:
Ah-ha -- you touched on what I've been thinking.. I checked the weight of a Ford 3600 -- its a little more than I feel comfortable carrying on my trailer. I've pulled an ASV RC-50 - scary, won't do again. 2.5 tons is about my limit.

What's the weight of a Ford 601? Can't find online.
3321 lbs
611...This is one of the models that made the 601 Workmaster series
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...-ford-611.html
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 AM   post #13 of 13
jdemaris
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21690

Quote:

If you area requires frequent stopping, backing, three-point turns, etc. - you're going to want a tractor with a live PTO. Without it, brushhogging can get miserable. If all wide open and all you do is go forward with any turning or stopping, then it won't matter much.

Tractor prices can depend a lot on what was popular in your area and what's still around. IH B-275 or IH B-414 tractors have always been the bargain tractors in my area (New York an Michigan). Hi-low trans, live PTO, live hydraulics, and either a 144 or a 154 cube diesel. In average shape, good running, half-bald tires, etc. they often sell for $1500. These tractors have great parts support from Case-IH, Mahindra and aftermarket.

Obviously many other good diesel tractors, but they tend to be more pricey. A Ferguson or Massey Ferguson TO-35, or MF35 has a great engine and great parts support. Some have live PTOs. I would't want one with the Standard diesel, but the Perkin diesels are great.

If you want a Ford? Parts not so common or cheap for the 172 diesels. Later Ford diesels after 1965 are totally different but usually pricey.

If I were to buy the cheapest tractor possible just for straight bush-hogging with no stops or turns involved? In my area, plenty of Case VACs around for less then $1000. VAC has live hydraulics (no diesel and no live PTO) and runs a 5 foot brush-cutter fine.
jdemaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.