Deere L130 trans oil change - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM   post #1 of 16
mjackson77
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 32893
Default Deere L130 trans oil change

I know, you've seen this before but I think I have a different problem. I changed the oil in my k46 as a little preventative maintenance and purged it (didn't pop wheelies though), and it seems pretty hesitant now. I drained a little over 2 quarts and put in a little over 2 quarts of castrol syntec 5w50. It also seems a little louder. My top speed is fine and power is fine, but when I apply slight pressure to the pedal, it takes a few seconds to "grab." I hope I didn't hurt anything as this only has 100 hours on it and just acquired it. Any ideas?
mjackson77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 02:22 PM   post #2 of 16
wally2q
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45
Default Re: Deere L130 trans oil change

but when I apply slight pressure to the pedal, it takes a few seconds to "grab."

does the same happen in both directions FWD and REV?.. if one is better than the other, your bias screw may be out of alignment, and you just haven't noticed it before.

the purging procedure takes several minutes to do.. did you do it?... how many minutes or hours have you run it since the change?
did you change the oil by removing the tranny from the tractor?.. or in-situ?... if removing it, perhaps your linkages haven't been properly re- adjusted or re-connected...
wally2q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 03:33 PM   post #3 of 16
mjackson77
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 32893

Thanks Wally, I'll check that out. I purged for about ten minutes overall, first with it up on Jack stands then on the ground. I just pulled the trans back out and noticed the plug was up a little on one side. I'm pretty sure I checked and double-checked before I reinstalled last time but I must have missed it. Do you think that was the problem? It was probably sucking a little air, right? Would that have damaged anything? I have only put about a half hour on it since the oil change. Thank you.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:46 PM   post #4 of 16
hammerhead
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11889

Some people complete the purge procedure in just a few minutes, others take up to an hour to get all the little air bubbles worked out... it all depends on the exact position of the parts when the oil was changed, as to how much air did or didn't get into all the little passageways... so I'd give it a while more before worrying about it. However, do re-check the oil level after a while; if there was substantial air in the transaxle it may be a little low.

hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 05:09 PM   post #5 of 16
stladrill
Run ahead of the pack

MTF Member # 31914
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Some people complete the purge procedure in just a few minutes, others take up to an hour to get all the little air bubbles worked out... it all depends on the exact position of the parts when the oil was changed, as to how much air did or didn't get into all the little passageways... so I'd give it a while more before worrying about it. However, do re-check the oil level after a while; if there was substantial air in the transaxle it may be a little low.

I'd give it a while more before worrying about it.

Welcome Canadians Sign in!!

(Click on the image to get there)

The information provided is without warranty of any kind. In no event shall I be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential loss, damage, liability or expense incurred or suffered, claimed to have resulted from use of this information.
stladrill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 08:19 PM   post #6 of 16
mjackson77
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 32893

Thanks guys. I just checked the oil and topped it off a little and purged again so I'll give it a while. I just know you guys have dealt with a lot of people that have had problems with these trans so I thought I'd ask to be sure. Another thing I've noticed with this mower is that you can just about see the fuel level going down while it's running. What a gas hog! I had an la120 before and thought it was a pretty good lawn tractor so when this one popped up, I thought it would be a step up from that one but I'm not sure about that. Seems to have a lot of issues for only 100 hours. The la120 had 80 hours on it and everything was like brand new, this one seems to have engine, steering, and trans issues. I just hope I can get a couple hundred hours out of it at least, and that's a bad thing to say about an expensive machine. Oh, one more thing I need some help with. It's the first big kohler engine I've owned, so I was wondering if it's normal to have to choke it even when it's warm? My Briggs fires right up almost all day after I choke it on the first start. It doesn't seem right to me but maybe I'm just paranoid. Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 PM   post #7 of 16
hammerhead
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11889

Quote:
so I thought I'd ask to be sure.
Yup - it's always better to be safe than sorry... and the only dumb question is the unasked one... and, um, stuff like that.

In general, big engines are less efficient at any given power output than a small engine producing the same actual power... so yes, it's not surprising that it's kinda a gas hog.

I don't know about the choke issue though... I've never had a Kohler engine (all briggs here). But, my LA130's briggs is just like your briggs - once warm, it fires right up, with almost no cranking and no choke.

hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 08:53 PM   post #8 of 16
sloe
JoaT,MoN

MTF Member # 41561

Just to add to your problems, I've got a 15 year old Kohler 14hp engine in my Craftsman, and it'll fire up with no choke and no cranking, either. Of course, the only thing I didnt' do to it when I got it was pull the head, but I took the carb off and cleaned it up, and ran pure seafoam through it. She didn't like that one bit, but she purrs now that that's all over.

'99 John Deere GT235 M0G235A011105 (rehabbed!)
'03 Crafsman 6.5HP B&S pusher 917.377661 (donated to a better cause)
'95 Craftsman LT4000 917.255460 (Sold!)
sloe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 PM   post #9 of 16
j2507
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 42106

got an L130 too and nine times out of ten I have to choke to restart. It always fires right up. Guy I bought it from said he has had to do that since it was new. Must be a kohler quirk. I've got the 23hp ohv twin.
j2507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 08:05 PM   post #10 of 16
mjackson77
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 32893

Well that's good to know, as I have the 23hp also. there are definately some quirks to it, backfires if I don't throttle up before shutting down, and if the oil is filled to the full line it will smoke at start up. I was hoping that this choking every time was just another "quirk"! A lot of quirks for a motor that list for what, $1700? I've bought and sold a few tractors to make some cash to buy a good one to keep and I thought this would be the one, but I'm not sure. I wish I had the money to buy a good gt but unfortunately that's not the case right now as we are buying our first house right now. Thanks for all the input guys. I've learned a whole lot more about tractors from this forum than I ever have. I appreciate it.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:20 AM   post #11 of 16
wally2q

MTF Member # 45

tilted plug on the tranny won't cause what you mentioned... it doesn't really suck in air through there.... that plug is a breather plug - it allows air in and out as the tranny cycles thermally during use... but it would not cause air-lock...

but check the linkage alignment... it may be that when you move the pedal, there is no "action" on the tranny lever until you reach a certain point... this can be caused by "slack" in the linkage...
the slack could have happened during disassembly and reassembly...

lastly, you may need to tweak the bias-screw.... this could be a product of a change in oil viscosity ... ie: not unexpected...
Old 04-25-2010, 11:56 PM   post #12 of 16
mjackson77
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 32893

Thanks, I will double check the linkage. It seems like its an intermittent problem, like maybe 1 out of 3 times I hit the pedal. Just to be clear, I took out the larger black plug. That's the one that was raised up. Is that the breather? I'm sorry, I don't know what the bias screw is. Could you help me with that? Thanks
Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 AM   post #13 of 16
wally2q

MTF Member # 45

I took out the larger black plug.

I hope you put it back in afterwards.... otherwise you'll get dirt into your tranny, and that will destroy it within hours.

the breather is the plug labelled: 28
is that the one you pressed back in?

The bias screw is on the side of the tranny, but it's been a while since I've looked at a K46 transmission, so I can't tell you exactly where...

being that it is intermittent, it will not be the bias. Sounds more like some trapped air, or linkage.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:50 PM   post #14 of 16
mjackson77
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 32893

No it was 33, the larger black plug with the magnet directly under it. It was just raised up slightly but still in. The trans seems to have all of it's power and speed, just misses sometimes when I go to take off slowly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 PM   post #15 of 16
wally2q

MTF Member # 45

just misses sometimes when I go to take off slowly.

that's weird.....

Maybe you have a key out or broken in one of the wheels.. it spins and grabs....

jack up the tractor, secure it well... on blocks.... put a weight on the seat and observe the linkage and tranny motion as you press the pedal... should be smooth and consistent....

do you press the brake when you are standing still?... and then when you get going, you are letting off the brake, at the same time as you are pressing down the motion pedal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.