New (to me) Snapper RER need some help - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-16-2010, 10:33 AM   post #1 of 4
hb2u
MTF Member

MTF Member # 5489
Default New (to me) Snapper RER need some help

Howdy folks.

Just picked up a snapper RER (28086S with a 11.5 hp B/s) yesterday to use for trimming around the property. I was going over the mower after I got it home and I have a couple of questions.....

1.) I was able to retrieve the parts manual and the owner's manual online - does anyone know if there's a Service/maintenance manual online somewhere? I'd like to have some sort of guidance document with a little more information than what I was able to find.

2.) The clutch is really rough. The manual says it's supposed to have the "smooth start clutch", but no matter how slowly I let it out, the tractor pops a wheely. I'm hoping that this is just an adjustment that needs to be made, right? They aren't all this jumpy are they?

3.) The brake/clutch cable is a bare cable and it is starting to cut through the frame tube where it exits near the steering column. I checked around for a new cable, but they all looked like the same bare wire type. This seems like it should be a sheathed cable or that there should be a grommet in the opening of the frame tube to prevent this from happening. Any suggestions?

4.) I am thinking about replacing the turf tires on the rear with a more aggressive tread tire, like a snow blower tire or maybe Ags because I have a couple of spots in the yard where I have to make a sharp turn up a slope, and that combination seems to make every tractor I've owned spin it's wheels. Not that the slope is very steep, just that the turn when combined with the slope makes the rear end lose traction. Plus I kind of think it would look cool with aggresive tires.

5.) Finally, what sort of grease should I use in the chain case and differential? The manual says snapper 00 grease. What is the equivalent? The manual also says to check the oil level, and then fill with grease? Which is it?

Thanks for the help folks.

HB
Snapper 28086s repowered with an 11.5 B/S
hb2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 01:38 PM   post #2 of 4
calrec
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 26180
Default Re: New (to me) Snapper RER need some help

Hi hb2u!
Clymer Riding Lawn Mowers Service Manual Vol.2 1st Ed. (Photo)
(Our library had it) Has a section on Snappers in it.

Also go to Snapper website and try to download "
Service Manual for Snapper Rear Engine Riding Mowers 4,5 & 6 & later.
(It's a big .pdf)
I'll send it to you if you'll e-mail me <calrec@verizon.net>

Good luck
Cal
Attached Images

calrec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 AM   post #3 of 4
Rescuemo
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28881

All the RER's I've had have the bare cable, and yes they do rub some on the frame. Generally not a big deal. You could put a little grease on that area to cut down on friction and wear if it's a concern. As for the popping wheelies, it shouldn't do that. Stand mower up on the rear bars (perfectly ok to do that..designed to stand on its rear for servicing) and check to make sure the clutch isn't binding somewhere and then suddenly letting go. Should move the mechanism smoothly to engage the friction drive. I'm sure someone with more experience than me will chime in if they have better ideas...

Wendell, NC

1967 Toro Whirlwind Grassking (2), 1949 Simplicity Walk-Behind tractor (2), 1985 Snapper 25" Hi-Vac RER, Sears Craftsman Snapper Hi-Vac, Lotsa piles of junk and parts and motors and...

http://budgethomerepair.wordpress.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=668086588
Rescuemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 AM   post #4 of 4
tomw0
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 34922

If you stand it on its butt, make sure to remove the battery unless it is the original from Snapper. The replacements do not have the acid contained as well, and will leak severely. Ask me...
There is an adjustment for the clutch take-up. "heavy load" or "smooth" are the two choices. You move a spring from one hole to another on the 'clutch link'. Smooth take-up is achieved by putting the spring in the bottom hole. "For more traction, increase spring tension by reconnecting to the top hole of the guide link." The lever is on the shift lever side, underneath the engine. It has three holes drilled into it. I think it is the only thing under there with three holes.
The 00 grease is a solution of oil and grey particles of some unknown substance[diatomaceous earth?]. It is NOT gear lube. I asked... You will find several brands available at hardware stores and mower shops. It splurts when you squeeze the container to force it into the chain case or gearbox.
You might be surprised what a pair of tires will cost... even as small as they are.
The cable wears a bit on mine at the rear where it comes out of the tube and goes through a hole in the engine deck. I have not lubed it in a long time, and I've had this mower since 1992.
tom
tomw0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.