John Deere Paint - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 04-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
212Rookie
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 41356
Default John Deere Paint

Hello all, I'm a newbie here on this forum and in the garden tractor world. I purchased a 1978 John Deere 212 that I'm in the process of redoing and using it as a lawn and garden tractor around my house to mow and push snow. I was wondering what kind of paint you guys recommend? What are your thoughts of the strength and quality of the John Deere Green paint you can get at the local dealership or do I go to the local paint shop and have them mix me John Deere Green and use a clearcoat then on it? I have all panels primed and ready to go. Thanks everyone in advance. I have to get some pictures on here soon.
212Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
wally2q
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 45
Default Re: John Deere Paint

depends if you want to make a show-piece, or just paint a "working machine"?....

if show-piece, go to a base / clear-coat product. If working machine, I'd use the regular enamel or whatever the standard paint is....

I use basic spray-can for all my implements... surface finish is acceptable, but highly dependent on quality of the prepped surface.... for implements I am not too picky.... but a well prepped surface can look quite-good when painted with a spray can. Mind you, that is usually steel framework (narrow, convoluted-shape pieces) etc... on a large flat surface (like a front hood), paint uniformity imperfections will be more visible.

Spray-can paint durability is quite good - as long as you give the paint 2-3 days to dry good and well.
wally2q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
mikestoy
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 38920

I don't know how fussy you are about the paint matching but even if you could use original JD paint, after 32 years there has to be some fading.
The best would be to show your local paint shop a original painted part, and let them match the green.

Other Toys:
2003 Candy Red Honda Goldwing Touring Cycle ......SWEET
2009 18' Lund w/200 hp Boat
2012 Black Lexus RX 350

Married for 47 years.
1 adopted son, married and lives in Charlotte N.C.
mikestoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
212Rookie
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 41356

Well I'm not looking to show the tractor, but I want it to look good. I'm painting everything that is green on the tractor. I'm pretty happy with my prep work and I will be spraying the pieces with an HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) spray gun. I want a really durable paint that will look good after years of use and tree branches and things possibly rubbing against the tractor. Just looking for what you guys have experience with.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
wally2q

MTF Member # 45

HVLP is usually good for painting latex paint on dry-wall, or on wood - where you need high volume due to absorbtion...

for metals surfaces, you may end up with runs, as it will be difficult to overlap spray patterns, without putting too much paint down....

be careful.

As for what type of paint to use?... the best I know for what you are talking about is Endura. The paint remains somewhat soft - like a plastic-coating, that allows the substrate (metals or plastics) to flex, or be impacted, without causing the paint to crack or chip...
http://www.endura.ca/

but it's not cheap, and it's an epoxy paint... meaning you have to mix it, paint it, and clean out our spray-gun before it "sets"... but for this I honestly wouldn't bother... but that's just me...
wally2q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
grnspot110

MTF Member # 4515
Garage

I'll go against the grain here! I use "off-the-shelf" John Deere Ag green, after all they're tractors not "show cars". Unless you want to spend a lot of $$$! Beware of anything but John Deere brand (or Valspar Restoration Series) as other brands don't hold up as well. ~~ grnspot110
Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
99flhr
Banned

MTF Member # 32245

Tractor Supply will sell you the Valspar Restoration mentioned above for $44 per gal. OR you can have the Valspar Tractor & Implement paint for $29 per gal. Both are available in J.D.G. I used the T & I in A.C. Orange and was pleased with the results. I Did add the optional Valspar hardner. JMO
99flhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
jeep63
This tractor rocks

MTF Member # 13910

x2 on Tractor Supply Valspar paint. I used it for my cart paint job and it turned out great.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
70chevelle
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6223

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally2q View Post
HVLP is usually good for painting latex paint on dry-wall, or on wood - where you need high volume due to absorbtion...

for metals surfaces, you may end up with runs, as it will be difficult to overlap spray patterns, without putting too much paint down....

be careful.

As for what type of paint to use?... the best I know for what you are talking about is Endura. The paint remains somewhat soft - like a plastic-coating, that allows the substrate (metals or plastics) to flex, or be impacted, without causing the paint to crack or chip...
http://www.endura.ca/

but it's not cheap, and it's an epoxy paint... meaning you have to mix it, paint it, and clean out our spray-gun before it "sets"... but for this I honestly wouldn't bother... but that's just me...
HVLP guns have been the industry standard in the autobody shops for years. They are more efficient with product and do a fantastic job, but need a good compressor to keep up with them as these guns are CFM hogs. If you want a durable finish the automotive acrylic urethanes are excellent, as well as the catalyzed enamels (Valspar from TSC). I find the acrylic urethanes easier to spray, but did cut my teeth spraying enamels back in the '80's. Regardless of the paint or gun you choose, the most durable paint is crap with out meticulous prep work. Good Luck!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
KATT
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 34056

I just used JD rattle cans on my 318 and it looked fine the valspar rattle cans have worked for other too.
IT IS GOING TO GET SCRATCHED ( actually more scuffed from boots and attachments) it's a tractor. Don't get me wrong i still wax my JD. but she has work to do..
KATT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
John Snykus
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 9147

318 side panels are TSC restoration rattle can and trailer is TSC valspar green brush paint and rattle can yellow. Side panels are a shade lighter than rest of 318. Looks good from 20 feet.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #12
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37

When I restored my 64 110 I used the JD enamel from the dealer. That way I can use the rattle cans for touch up when needed. Mine is a worker also but looks fantastic! The wagon in my avatar was done with rattle cans from JD. slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
212Rookie
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 41356

Hey, I just thought that'd I'd let you guys know that I started painting some of the smaller panels this weekend (it was way too windy out to do much painting). I went with the JD Ag Green from JD and mixed in the hardener. So far, what I did paint I'm pleased with. Thanks for all the help. Once I get it done I'll have to post some pics.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
UrbanTractor
Likes Vintage JDs

MTF Member # 38663

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Rookie View Post
...Once I get it done I'll have to post some pics.
Definitely. I think we'd all like to see those.

Good luck on the project!
UrbanTractor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
toscani
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39067

hvlp is top of line gun of todays body man,it will be perfect for your job,i dont know what wally is talking about,i've been in painter for 24 years,i used john deere paint from dealer and hvlp to restore my 430,everyone thinks it has clear coat,u have to be very careful how u thin the paint,if to much,it can die back and look dull u will have to experiment,its a straight or synthetic paint so u should get the right hardener too,very important ,i just got some from the local runnings or fleet farm,its tricky itl look rough and u will think u need to hose more on but dont it will flow out,but then again ive done it for so long i could do it with my eyes closed i swear.hope this helps
toscani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.