Why cant people tell the truth??? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 03-31-2010, 11:20 PM   post #1 of 26
fonz3482
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33346
Default Why cant people tell the truth???

Well everyone my brother inlaw is in the market for a tractor. He picked out 3 machines to check out. We looked at a cub cadet 2000 series last night. Tonight we drove to check out a 1996 toro/wheelhorse 15hp 42" cut, a j.d. sabre 17 hp 42" cut, and a toro lx500 22hp 50" cut. All I want to know is why people haft to lie through there teeth! My brother inlaw and I have wasted 2 nice sunny nights and alot of gas driving around to see junk because people lie! It seems like everytime i look at a tractor it all the sudden developes multiple promblems that the owners have never seen or heard until that day, and that hour that you are looking at there machine! I've even explained to people that it will be along drive for us to look at your machine so if there is anything that may need attention in the near future please tell me over the phone before I drive 1 1/2 hrs to your place. Everyone of them says no, its in excellent shape and is ready to go! Well the cub was rusted badly for $1500. The 96 toro/wheelhorse for $800 was making a loud bearing grinding noise when you let off the clutch in nuetral and in gear, was leaking oil, and would pop/backfire when you lowered the throttle, and the $500 sabre got sold before we made it to the guys house to see it. The toro lx500 which was in the best shape was very cheaply built, and the price was $850. It didnt even have a transmission. You wanna go faster, just push the "gas pedal" which applies tension to the drive belt and there you go. I think A new cub 1000, or j.d la series is looking alot better after 2 days of wasted time, gas, and alot of lies!!!
fonz3482 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 AM   post #2 of 26
Team_Green
Banned!

MTF Member # 7124
Default Re: Why cant people tell the truth???

They are hoping for some fool err sucker eerrrr person to come and buy something with out knowing what they are looking at..
Team_Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 12:54 AM   post #3 of 26
jeepersmitty
Retired Aug.31 2007

MTF Member # 6130

Even little children lie at a very early age. For some people it just gets worse the older they get.

I always know...
God won't give me more than I can handle
There are times I just wish He didn't trust me quite so much.
jeepersmitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 12:58 AM   post #4 of 26
John@Reliable
Banned!

MTF Member # 37003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Green View Post
They are hoping for some fool err sucker eerrrr person to come and buy something with out knowing what they are looking at..
and it happens all the time!
John@Reliable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 01:13 AM   post #5 of 26
SWCSRT
Im mowin the air Randy

MTF Member # 30261
Garage

There are a few people that really do not know whats wrong with
there machine & just keep running it,Hey we are in the "Ignorant,
throw away,It's not fast enough" world now.
People lie because there Di**s & figure they will get ahead in life
by doing so.
Best of luck to your bro-in law

SWCSRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 01:39 AM   post #6 of 26
Upper5Percent
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8602

You mean like going to see a pickup truck driven only on SUNDAYS...
Old 04-01-2010, 01:44 AM   post #7 of 26
RDorffer_JD445
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 31731

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz3482 View Post
Well everyone my brother inlaw is in the market for a tractor. He picked out 3 machines to check out. We looked at a cub cadet 2000 series last night. Tonight we drove to check out a 1996 toro/wheelhorse 15hp 42" cut, a j.d. sabre 17 hp 42" cut, and a toro lx500 22hp 50" cut. All I want to know is why people haft to lie through there teeth! My brother inlaw and I have wasted 2 nice sunny nights and alot of gas driving around to see junk because people lie! It seems like everytime i look at a tractor it all the sudden developes multiple promblems that the owners have never seen or heard until that day, and that hour that you are looking at there machine! I've even explained to people that it will be along drive for us to look at your machine so if there is anything that may need attention in the near future please tell me over the phone before I drive 1 1/2 hrs to your place. Everyone of them says no, its in excellent shape and is ready to go! Well the cub was rusted badly for $1500. The 96 toro/wheelhorse for $800 was making a loud bearing grinding noise when you let off the clutch in nuetral and in gear, was leaking oil, and would pop/backfire when you lowered the throttle, and the $500 sabre got sold before we made it to the guys house to see it. The toro lx500 which was in the best shape was very cheaply built, and the price was $850. It didnt even have a transmission. You wanna go faster, just push the "gas pedal" which applies tension to the drive belt and there you go. I think A new cub 1000, or j.d la series is looking alot better after 2 days of wasted time, gas, and alot of lies!!!
Geez, that does stink, I never know whether they are liars or ignorant (or both).

Regards,

Rich
RDorffer_JD445 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 04:06 AM   post #8 of 26
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37

It seems like there is more lying going on today than in the past. Just look at your politicians & media today. slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 AM   post #9 of 26
TechGromit
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 23092

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz3482 View Post
... My brother inlaw and I have wasted 2 nice sunny nights and alot of gas driving around to see junk because people lie! ...
Is this the same thing as Jumbo Shrimp, Near Miss and Sharp Curves?

As for lying, salespeople do it every day. It's there job to try and get your to buy something, weather it's in your own best interest or not. Some of them actually believe what they are saying, others know they are lying to you and others are too incompetent to know the difference. It's up to your to do you homework and decide whats a good deal and what isn't. You would be suprised at the number of people who go to buy something and don't do there homework and get stuck with an inferior product. It's human nature to lie. No Officer I wasn't speeding, No honey that's not some other woman's perfurme you smell, and the tractor I'm selling runs perfectly, come pick it up.
Sears automatic start push mower
Rusted Scotts push Spreader
Agri-Fab 38in lawn Sweeper tow Behind
TechGromit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 11:36 AM   post #10 of 26
GT_80
Cranky Motorsports

MTF Member # 35886
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkpk View Post
It seems like there is more lying going on today than in the past. Just look at your politicians & media today. slkpk

however, i had a similar thing happen to me being the seller, and I was not lying. I had a 1985 Suzuki lt125 quad that i bought off a friend and used for about 3 years. i recently tried to sell it in 'not running condition' for $125 because it wasn't running at the time- I had rebuilt the carb, verified spark and air, etc, but it would not kick unless it was towed. So a guy called me from cape Cod (about an hour and 45 minutes away from me) and said he wanted it and would give me the full asking price if i could get it running. i said i would try. Well, a new spark plug, and a new pull string, some starting fluid and 45 minutes later it sat an purred like a kitten. I ran it for like half hour and shut if off. Next day, I went to meet the guy at a rest stop half way to his house, and darn thing would not run for the life of me! It had snowed the night before and it didn't like to start in the cold even though it had a choke. Well, we spent about an hour trying to get it to start, even towed it with my Jimmy around the lot 3 times, and it kicked but would not stay running. I think the rings were bad, and once it started it ran ok till it got hot then it lost compression and died, but it was cold... Long story short the guy still wanted it, bought it for $50 bucks instead of $125 cause i didn't want to lug it home, and i helped him load it into the back of his (you ready???) LINCOLN NAVIGATOR!!! yep, all back seats out, BARELY fit inside.

Long story short, i will never try to get something running if i list t for sale in 'not running condition'

But again, i didn't lie, and just had bad luck that day cost me $75 bucks
MTF Addict #35886
Hugh-SS16 fan #0001

Tractors:
1968 Super12 "Miss Emma Lee"
1969 Suburban 12
1972 SS12- half rolling chassis
1973 SS16/ 18/6 hybrid
1976 SS16 General may be a 500,000th clone soon...
1976 SS18 Trusty

Attachments: Yes please!

My YouTubeMy Ebay

Sears Manuals
GT_80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 11:38 AM   post #11 of 26
Paranoid
Senior MTF Member

Location: That which does not kill me will probably hurt like hell
MTF Member # 1981

That's why I bought new.
Paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 12:16 PM   post #12 of 26
Yazooman
Banned

MTF Member # 15682

When i go after something.especially on CL.i will ask tons of questions and often ask for more pics. If they dont like the way i am going about things to get more info..let em keep it. Most homeowners are honest and i never deal with anyone who buys and sells stuff from their backyard. If i drive up to someones house and see several mowers scattered about i never even take the time to look at what they are trying to sell.
Yazooman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 12:26 PM   post #13 of 26
zelda
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 33532

That really bites . . . I've had my learning experience lately. Long story short, I was to trade my 53 jeep for a paint job on a K5 Blazer. It had been 5 years and still had got my paint job (because I didn't get it prepped yet and I still had the title to the jeep). The guy calls me up and says he would really like to settle up. I say OK it's been too long and I would take the cash instead. He asks me what I would need. I'm thinking it's been so long I'll come down and give him a deal for $500. He's not liking that at all. He's telling me like $250 because painting a couple of fenders and door isn't going to cost him that much. I'm like WTF what happen to my paint job. Well, He says that the deal was to paint doors and fenders. Why would I want just those painted??? Now I'm p!ssed and he's talking like he wants to give it back. I said listen, that thing has a flat head mercury motor in it that's worth at lease $200. The body is good and well worth $500. Well he junked the flathead so that's not in it any more!!! I said listen your buying it . . . we'll go halfway at $375! I don't like the deal and you don't like the deal either. So that's my easter story . . . Your never to old to learn. Hopefully those things you learn less of.

149 Cub Cadet
990 Farm King
C-141 Wheel Horse (Sold)

Host of the "MTF Michigan Meet 2011"
zelda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 PM   post #14 of 26
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I wouldn't bash the "backyard" sellers,some of my best deals have been gotten from those types of sellers--some were not much more than scrappers who had an "in" at the scrapyards and just sold stuff for a bit more than they gave to get rid of it..but yeah,if you cant fix things yourself they aren't the best deal..

When I go look at something offered on CL,I fully expect it to be a misrepresented POS,its just the nature of folks to "talk up" whatever they have in hopes of getting a good price..but many times I have been pleasantly surprised by what I saw when I got there,and got it at a bargain price to boot..some folks with more money than time simply buy a new riding mower and just want the old one outta here--NOW..and will take 50 bucks for one worth 500,with a few hours of tinkering...I limit the distance I'll go to look at anything though,to about 50 miles,in case they decide to sell it before I got there,or it IS a real turd..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 05:16 PM   post #15 of 26
Brians445JD
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39819

It seems like people hope that when you come and look, then you might suddenly become blind. "Believe what I say, not what you see" attitude. I believe in telling people whats wrong so they can decide if they can fix it or not. Saves their time and mine. When people takes pics at nite, or take verry bad pics, thats usually a sign of what it really is. JUNK...

John Deere 445
54" front blade and 3pt. hitch.
Ok Ok, I'll admit it. I'm addicted to yellow and green.
No I'm not prejudist, I like all makes/sizes of tractors equally.
Brians445JD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.